Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible for an entire divsion to miss the playoffs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible for an entire divsion to miss the playoffs?

Has this ever happened? And is it even possible?

Noooo....because someone has to win in a division and the division champion automatically goes to the playoffs. Though I think it should damn well be possible
    sigpic

Adopted by: Andrewmlb :thumb:
    Sig by: MHS

Comment

Lets say a team #1 has a better record than team #2 both in the NFC and both division champs but a different division. Team #2 has a win over team #1 and a better overall record in the conference, shouldn't it be that team #2 make the playoffs? I think so, just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Brakshow View Post
        Noooo....because someone has to win in a division and the division champion automatically goes to the playoffs. Though I think it should damn well be possible
        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The Chargers should have been left out in 08. Everyone in the west was awful that year. Although the Charger fans will say they were justified because they beat the Colts in the playoffs, but it doesn't matter, they still were an awful team to make the playoffs. Also, and this will blow your mind, the Chargers got to play at home for the playoffs because division champs get homefield advantage automatically regardless of record.

The Pats were 11-5 that year and didn't make the playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by chazoe60 View Post
          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The Chargers should have been left out in 08. Everyone in the west was awful that year. Although the Charger fans will say they were justified because they beat the Colts in the playoffs, but it doesn't matter, they still were an awful team to make the playoffs. Also, and this will blow your mind, the Chargers got to play at home for the playoffs because division champs get homefield advantage automatically regardless of record.

The Pats were 11-5 that year and didn't make the playoffs.
          Thats crazy to think about. The 8-8 Broncos/Chargers fighting for a division title whereas the Pats were far better and didn't even get a playoff berth...sick
          sigpic

Adopted by: Andrewmlb :thumb:
          Sig by: MHS

Comment

Originally posted by Brakshow View Post
            Thats crazy to think about. The 8-8 Broncos/Chargers fighting for a division title whereas the Pats were far better and didn't even get a playoff berth...sick
            I don't think the Pats were far better. That Pats team had a cake schedule. Nevertheless, the Chargers absolutely destroyed them in their head-to-head matchup that season. The final score was 30-10 Chargers, but it really wasn't even that close.

Comment

Originally posted by Chargerbomb View Post
              I don't think the Pats were far better. That Pats team had a cake schedule. Nevertheless, the Chargers absolutely destroyed them in their head-to-head matchup that season. The final score was 30-10 Chargers, but it really wasn't even that close.
              That was also they year they had Matt Cassell at snap. They played amazing that year, cake schedule or not.

Comment

Nope the team wins each division makes the playoffs automatically.
                sigpic

Comment

Is it ...

... possible for an entire division to miss the playoffs?

No.
                  "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

The Broncos were 11-5 in 1985 and missed the playoffs, while Cleveland won the Central at 8-8. Still pisses me off 25 years later.

But I actually like the status quo. There's a lot of tradition in the division system, and I like having each region of the country represented.

Comment

Working...
                    X