Peyton Manning complains, the NFL jumps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peyton Manning complains, the NFL jumps

Don't know if any of you heard of this, but the NFL is tweaking the position of their umpire because Peyton doesn't seem to have enough advantages in this offensive friendly league that he plays in.

Peyton Manning complained, the NFL listened and now the league is making additional tweaks to the umpire rule.

All 32 teams were told in a memo from the league Tuesday that the umpire will position himself 12 yards from the line of scrimmage when the ball is snapped instead of approximately 15 yards, which was used during the preseason. The umpires must now only get beyond the deepest running back — not established in position — before the ball can be snapped.

The changes should make it easier for teams to use the no-huddle offense. That should please Manning, who expressed his frustration after an Aug. 26 loss at Green Bay.

"The one (illegal snap) on me I thought was ridiculous, down there by the goal line when you're snapping the ball to keep them from potentially getting a replay," Manning said then. "Also, they (umpires) are unsettled. To throw a 5-yard penalty is absolutely ridiculous in my opinion. So I think that's one thing that will be re-evaluated — at least a do-over of some sort, or a warning. But a 5-yard penalty? That's ridiculous."

The league apparently agreed.

Officials will now have the discretion to issue a warning before enforcing the 5-yard penalty for an illegal snap. Clear violations, the memo said, will continue to be penalized without a warning.

Umpires also will continue to be positioned in the middle of the defense, their old position, during the final two minutes of the first half, the final five minutes of the game and when the offense is at, or inside, the opponent's 5-yard line. The league made that change for last week's preseason finales.

The memo also points out that the head linesman or line judge can signal when the ball can be snapped instead of having quarterbacks checking with referees, something that was changed after the league's competition committee approved the new rule in March.

League officials have repeatedly cited safety concerns as the reason for moving umpires behind the deepest running back, saying statistics showed a significant increase in the number of collisions and injuries incurred by umpires.

"It reached the point where the league office thought that the physical danger out there and the safety of the umpire was becoming an issue, so we changed his position," Colts president Bill Polian said recently. "We recognized that there would be, A, mechanical issues, and B, issues with respect to certain penalties that might or might not be called based upon the new position."

But after Manning insisted changes were needed, Polian said they were solvable.

Now the four-time league MVP and Polian are willing to see if this works.

"We'll see," Manning said last week during the annual bowling tournament he hosts to raise money for the Peyback Foundation.

The league said referees and umpires will meet Friday in Dallas to review the preseason and the mechanics of the changes to the umpire rule. The officials for Thursday night's opener will review the material during a conference call this week.

Manning was not available Tuesday, the Colts' regular off-day, but is expected to comment on the changes Wednesday. Polian declined to comment.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...ZYaVAD9I3APCO0
    sigpic

"Today's the tomorrow that you should've feared yesterday."

They were discussing this last weekend during the final preseason game. Although I'm not a big fan of Peyton's whining and on field antics, he's not the only one that has voiced his opinion.

His is just more of a media grabber being a Manning and all.

Any team in the hurry up offense was finding it difficult to run such plays because of this new positioning of the refs and umpire. They realize it needed to be adjusted and it should have been tweaked as you put it.

I think we all knew it was in trial mode during the preseason games.
    :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic

Comment

I just think moving the umpire to the offensive side of the ball was a horrible idea in the first place. It seems like their was a blocking penalty every other play, really slowed down the pace of the game.

If they are concerned about the safety of the referees, stop hiring old guys to ref games played by 300lb 20-something year olds.
      Adopted 2010 Bronco: Chris Kuper
      Adopted 2011 Bronco: Brian Dawkins

Comment

They were talking about this change before Peyton even complained. Peyton is arguably the best QB to ever play the game, and his opinion should be taken into consideration.

Comment

As others have said, Manning wasn't the first to complain or only one to complain. It came up in two of our games as well if you recall. Others also complained about it.

Comment

Let's face it, the new umpire rule is dumb. The hurry up offense is an important part of the game. Manning is right. Put the umpire where he's supposed to be. Give him a damn helmet if he fears for his life.
            sigpic

Comment

Although I think the league looks out especially for the Colts, I wouldn't put this on him.

Comment

Im still a fan of putting the ref back where he was last year and just getting some
                younger, bigger, faster guys and not drawing names out of a hat from prestigious
                retirement homes.
                Club Leader: Robert Griffin III > Andrew Luck

^^^Get used to it.^^^

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoManiac_69 View Post
                  They were discussing this last weekend during the final preseason game. Although I'm not a big fan of Peyton's whining and on field antics, he's not the only one that has voiced his opinion.

His is just more of a media grabber being a Manning and all.

Any team in the hurry up offense was finding it difficult to run such plays because of this new positioning of the refs and umpire. They realize it needed to be adjusted and it should have been tweaked as you put it.

I think we all knew it was in trial mode during the preseason games.
                  True.

I guess I'm tired of offenses having every single advantage. If the offense has to wait another second to snap the ball, I didn't really see it as a big deal since the deck is stacked in their favor to begin with. Oh well.
                  sigpic

"Today's the tomorrow that you should've feared yesterday."

Comment

Originally posted by Ohio Broncos View Post
                    True.

I guess I'm tired of offenses having every single advantage. If the offense has to wait another second to snap the ball, I didn't really see it as a big deal since the deck is stacked in their favor to begin with. Oh well.
                    Any time a team goes no huddle and hurry up offense, the defense is at a disadvantage no doubt. Especially if a replay could change a play or call.

Peyton is by far one of the best at it and probably since he was the one that got a penalty for it last weekend, is why they used his complaint as their example.

What I find weird is they suggest that the umpire blows a whistle to alert the QB that he is set and they can hike the ball. I'm not sure that is the solution either. That could result in chaos at the line of scrimmage as linemen may stand up assuming a false start was being whistled.

sigpic

Comment

Got to agree that something had to be done. Hurry up offenses were being affected during the pre-season (and not just Manning). They should of just kept it the way it is. Perhaps put a helmet on the referee that is in danger??
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dsmith275 View Post
                        Got to agree that something had to be done. Hurry up offenses were being affected during the pre-season (and not just Manning). They should of just kept it the way it is. Perhaps put a helmet on the referee that is in danger??
                        Let's just take the refs out of the game and go free-for-all

I kid of course.

We got called on a penalty ourselves for using the ref on an illegal pick.

I say leave it the way it was. The refs weren't getting run over THAT much were they? Or as broncsfan21 said, put some guys in there that can handle a smack or two. :thumb:

sigpic

Comment

I kid of course.

I say leave it the way it was. The refs weren't getting run over THAT much were they? Or as broncsfan21 said, put some guys in there that can handle a smack or two. :thumb:
                          I agree I didn't see much of a problem the way it was before. If it isn't broke don't fix it!
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dsmith275 View Post
                            I agree I didn't see much of a problem the way it was before. If it isn't broke don't fix it!
                            Exactly, if they are getting beat up, put some pads on them. That would look kinda cool actually seeing a zebra in shoulder pads.
                            sigpic

2013,2014, and 2015 Adopt a Bronco: Champ Bailey, Marvin Austin and Matt Paradis

Comment

I kid of course.

Every ref should look like Ed Hoculi. That dude can take a hit. I think he's a lawyer too, when not being a gym rat or reffing.
                              sigpic
                              Adopted by: Peanut

"You find ways to win and certainly you can find ways to lose...it's not just dumb luck."
                              -Sean Payton

Comment

Working...
                              X