Should the Vikings bench Brett Favre?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should the Vikings bench Brett Favre?

As we all know, Brad Childress just got fired but their new interm head coach (i forget his name) is still keeping favre as the starter for now.

Favre's played hurt a lot this season and has even been limping at times.
    should the vikings bench favre and let tavaris jackson play?
    Yes. Benching him is the best option
    71.43%
    No. Keeping him active is the best option
    28.57%

The poll is expired.

sigpic

2014 Pick'Em Challenge Champion
    Proud Fan of the 3 Time Super Bowl Champion Denver Broncos

The interm coach is Leslie Frazier. I think they should just put in Tavaris Jackson, and have him and Joe Webb compete for the starting job. Both players are raw, and have little experience, but Favre just looks like he doesn't want to be out there right now. And I doubt Jackson and Webb could play any worse, you're better off seeing what you have in those 2 guys. Not to mention it'd help the Vikings in the future when Favre retires, and it could help them now if they play better.

So yes, I say bench Favre. He should've retired last season.
    Last edited by Amari24; 11-23-2010, 04:39 PM.

Comment

No, the man is an absolute legend. He's Brett Favre for crying out loud. He is closing in on 300 consecutive starts, as an interim head coach do you want to be known for the guy who ruined sports greatest record?

If Brett Favre has earned anything it should be everyone's respect. If the man says he can play, he can play.

I would think of the other sides view if they had someone on the bench who they might be looking to get some PT for. But honestly Jackson and Joe Webb? Are these guys really the future of the Vikings?

Let Favre play out the season, let him retire and then you can draft someone or trade for Kyle Orton.

Seriously, Brett Favre is a legend and benching him would be the worst move an interim head coach could make.

Comment

Originally posted by Kno-Sean View Post
        No, the man is an absolute legend. He's Brett Favre for crying out loud. He is closing in on 300 consecutive starts, as an interim head coach do you want to be known for the guy who ruined sports greatest record?

If Brett Favre has earned anything it should be everyone's respect. If the man says he can play, he can play.

I would think of the other sides view if they had someone on the bench who they might be looking to get some PT for. But honestly Jackson and Joe Webb? Are these guys really the future of the Vikings?

Let Favre play out the season, let him retire and then you can draft someone or trade for Kyle Orton.

Seriously, Brett Favre is a legend and benching him would be the worst move an interim head coach could make.
        We don't know, they could be. It's as unknown as Tebow being our future or not. You don't know until you try them out and see how they look. Favre is defintley not the future especially since he's retiring after this season.

You have to do what's best for your team, not what's best for the record books.

Comment

Originally posted by Amari24 View Post
          We don't know, they could be. It's as unknown as Tebow being our future or not. You don't know until you try them out and see how they look. Favre is defintley not the future especially since he's retiring after this season.

You have to do what's best for your team, not what's best for the record books.
          Very true, but Tebow was a 1st round pick. I don't know about Webb but I know he was a 5th round pick or worse.

The Vikings season is over, and even if you don't think so, Favre gives the Vikings the best chance to win.

Comment

Very true, but Tebow was a 1st round pick. I don't know about Webb but I know he was a 5th round pick or worse.

The Vikings season is over, and even if you don't think so, Favre gives the Vikings the best chance to win.
            What round the QB is picked in shouldn't matter. Don't forget Tom Brady was a 6th round draft pick and JaMarcus Russel was the first overall. You just never know till they get on the field.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dsmith275 View Post
              What round the QB is picked in shouldn't matter. Don't forget Tom Brady was a 6th round draft pick and JaMarcus Russel was the first overall. You just never know till they get on the field.
              QFT..

It's all about taking some risks. The Bucs did it last season with Freeman and now he's playing like a Pro-Bowler. Joe Webb played pretty well in Pre season, I say see if he's the right guy.

Comment

Originally posted by dsmith275 View Post
                I meant that buy, management feels more pressure to play a first rounder over someone who's drafted say in the 6th round.

Joe Webb wouldn't even be the guy that would be replacing Favre.

Favre gives the team the best chance at winning. And he's a legend.

Comment

I'd bench him. Not only is he not going to get the job done, he's taking time away from their QBs which are ready to start.

The Vikings do have quarterbacks that are capable of starting and that might grow a lot from it. If I were a Vikings fan and saw that the Brett Favre story was over (because it is), I'd want to make the move just to get the new QB's feet wet for next season.

It's obvious Favre isn't going to be here next year even he wants to be. They have other players capable of being NFL quarterbacks ready to go. If it were me, I'd let them.

Comment

Originally posted by Alastor View Post
                    I'd bench him. Not only is he not going to get the job done, he's taking time away from their QBs which are ready to start.

The Vikings do have quarterbacks that are capable of starting and that might grow a lot from it. If I were a Vikings fan and saw that the Brett Favre story was over (because it is), I'd want to make the move just to get the new QB's feet wet for next season.

It's obvious Favre isn't going to be here next year even he wants to be. They have other players capable of being NFL quarterbacks ready to go. If it were me, I'd let them.
                    ya i completely agree. he went from having a couple of teams call about him in 2008 before going to the jets (like them and the tampa bay buccaneers) to 09 when everyone knew that if he stayed in the NFL, he would be a viking. now it seems like they won't want him and i can't blame them.
                    sigpic

Comment

right now i wouldn't care about that. i would want to do what's best for my team. when favre is completely healthy, he's my starter no doubt.

or i could do it the easy way. let favre start the game playing a series or two, (he still gets STARTS to his record) then let tavaris jackson or webb play
                      sigpic

Comment

I meant that buy, management feels more pressure to play a first rounder over someone who's drafted say in the 6th round.

Joe Webb wouldn't even be the guy that would be replacing Favre.

Favre gives the team the best chance at winning. And he's a legend.
                        Oh ok that is true management will feel more presure getting a 1st round pick involved versus a late rounder. However, yeah Favre has his leagacy but the Viking season is over and Favre will not be back next year. At this point might as well see if Jackson or Webb have anything. Favre hasn't exactly lit it up this year eather his play alone warants a benching. I usually don't remember 3rd string QB from other teams in the pre season but I do actually remember Webb and he looked pretty good. It's all a crapshoot really we can all speculate but that's what message boards are great for I guess! It will be interesting to see how it plays out.
                        sigpic

Comment

I think Brett Favre is getting way to much of the blame this year. When Favre returned for this season he was short of many things he had last year.

Last year he had a running back who could catch the ball.

An offensive line who could block long enough for Favre to at least get the snap

Sidney Rice

A defense that was in the upper level of the league last year. This year it's just very average.

Comment

Boom! Good game Brett!

Comment

Working...
                            X