Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Palmer might pull a Plummer

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Palmer might pull a Plummer

    We all know how Jake "The Snake" Plummer ended his career. You know, Bronco or retire....Where he was gonna be sent to the Bucs but instead he retired.

    Well Carson Palmer is doing that, he wants off the Bengals or he will retire, according to this yahoo source.

    The NFL owners may be saying that their business model is not sustainable (though it would help their cases if they'd open their books), but there's apparently nothing wrong with the financial model of one Carson Palmer(notes), Cincinnati Bengals quarterback. Or, at least, that's what Palmer is now ... and what he doesn't want to be anymore. For months, Palmer has been making extreme noises about his desire to get out of Cincinnati once and for all, and he's been at his most strident about it in the last few days.

    According to WCPO-TV in Cincinnati, Palmer recently told a friend that he would "never set foot in Paul Brown Stadium again," and that he has "$80 million in the bank. I don't have to play football for money. I'll play it for the love of the game but that would have to be elsewhere. I'm prepared to live my life."

    Palmer's agent, David Dunn, released this statement in the wake of those comments: "Because of the lack of success that Carson and the Bengals have experienced together, Carson strongly feels that a separation between him and the Bengals would be in the best interest of both parties."
    Since injuries have taken the sharpness off his game over the past few seasons, Palmer has fallen from his former Pro Bowl status. In just about every full season he's played since 2005, Palmer's efficiency has decreased. He had a nice little rebound in 2010, throwing for 3,970 yards, 26 touchdowns, and 20 interceptions with Chad Ochocinco, Terrell Owens, and rookie tight end Jermaine Gresham on the roster. But it's been a challenge for Palmer to scale the dizzying heights of the AFC North with team owner Mike Brown's frequently questionable management decisions, just as it's been a problem for the Bengals to rely on a quarterback who probably still has a few years left, but can't always be relied on to stay healthy and efficient.

    The first overall pick in the 2003 draft, Palmer led the Bengals to the playoffs in 2005 and 2009 - the only winning seasons the team has enjoyed since 1990. If he does leave, it will most likely be by way of retirement unless Brown hears an offer for Palmer he can't refuse, and Brown has said that he will not entertain the concept of Palmer leaving the team by his hand. That may be a simple ploy, but one never knows with the erratic Brown.

    Palmer signed a six-year, $118.75 contract extension in December of 2005 that takes him through the 2014 season. He may be attractive to several teams in need of quarterbacks, but not likely at the $11.5 million in base salary due him in the 2011 and 2012 seasons. If he were to retire, the Bengals would hold his rights through the length of his current contract, though one never knows what may happen on the other side of a new Collective Bargaining Agreemen
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shu...urn=nfl-328569
    So Carson is trying to fight his way out of Cinncy. Now am I saying we should go after him? No, but if he gets placed on the trading block, that hurts the chance of us getting rid of Orton for something good.
    sigpic
    Adopted Broncos:
    EmmanuelSanders

  • #2
    This story broke a long time ago that he would retire if they didnt trade him.

    But no I don't think it hurts Orton. Sounds to be like they won't trade Palmer.
    Last edited by Broncoholic3233; 03-02-2011, 10:52 AM.
    2013 Adopt-a-Bronco: Demaryius Thomas

    sigpic

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by InsaneBlaze23 View Post
      We all know how Jake "The Snake" Plummer ended his career. You know, Bronco or retire....Where he was gonna be sent to the Bucs but instead he retired.

      Well Carson Palmer is doing that, he wants off the Bengals or he will retire, according to this yahoo source.


      http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shu...urn=nfl-328569
      So Carson is trying to fight his way out of Cinncy. Now am I saying we should go after him? No, but if he gets placed on the trading block, that hurts the chance of us getting rid of Orton for something good.
      Well it might hurt ortons value, but it ups the second overall pick value.
      What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
      I don't know and I don't care

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Broncoholic3233 View Post
        This story broke a long time ago that he would retire if they didnt trade him.

        But no I don't think it hurts Orton. Sounds to be like they won't trade Palmer.
        The story of Carson wanting out is not new, the story of him saying he will retire is more recent.
        sigpic
        Adopted Broncos:
        EmmanuelSanders

        Comment


        • #5
          With Palmer's current contract, I think he's gonna be awfully hard to trade, unless you can eat some of the salary (like in the MLB) Especially since he's making like 20 mil/season and is he as good as Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, or Aaron Rodgers? No. Not even close.

          He'll probably just end up retiring. I guess Owens and Ochocinco really got him steaming last season.
          sigpic

          2014 Pick'Em Challenge Champion
          Proud Fan of the 3 Time Super Bowl Champion Denver Broncos

          Comment


          • #6
            Well, I'll be sorry to see him go, but the Bengals are in total denial if they don't think he'll make good on his threats.

            According to sources in Cincinnati behind the scenes, the team is going to listen to offers for Palmer, and I imagine there will be plenty of them. Also, at this point it looks like Cam Newton is all but a lock at the #4 pick in the draft. Am I excited about this? Jeez, no. I want Palmer to stay. We FINALLY got rid of our worthless offensive coordinator, and I wish Palmer would give Gruden a chance before he goes and ends his career.

            Sure, he's got $80 million in the bank, I get that. And if I were in his shoes, I'd be frustrated as well. But the fact remains, there's a lot of talent on this team and to see its leader decide to head for the hills is pretty depressing, to say the least. I wish our owner wasn't such a freaking moron.
            HEAR ME ROAR!
            sigpic
            Thanks to Freyaka for the great sig!

            Comment


            • #7
              Yes, please do.
              The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

              The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

              Comment


              • #8
                If Carson Palmer remains a Bengal and does indeed retire he is NOT smart. I hope he gets traded starts somewhere else a refresh maybe even new change of scenery will help him in the long run. Maybe he will have that competitive fire again.... I hope he doesn't retire he still has few good years left in him Palmer I believe still has some things to prove being a elite NFL QB again. The guy had so much talent it's scary until he got that tore ligaments in his left knee by Kimo Von Oelhoffen in that playoff game he never recovered. Hasn't been same player ever since then very very sad story. I feel bad for him whatever he choices is his decision I wish him best of luck this coming from huge Broncos fan btw.

                Thanks for article. :thumb:
                Last edited by Chillez; 03-02-2011, 08:07 PM.
                sigpic

                Comment


                • #9
                  I actually believe him. I think the guy will retire if he isn't traded..

                  Ochocinco tweeted today that he will play QB and throw the ball to his self.
                  sigpic


                  @BlueNOrangeFTW

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by BluenOrnge4Life View Post
                    I actually believe him. I think the guy will retire if he isn't traded..

                    Ochocinco tweeted today that he will play QB and throw the ball to his self.
                    How funny would that be to see Chad throw to himself in a live game.
                    sigpic

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Chillez View Post
                      How funny would that be to see Chad throw to himself in a live game.
                      Brett Favre did it.
                      sigpic
                      Adopted Broncos:
                      EmmanuelSanders

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by InsaneBlaze23 View Post
                        Brett Favre did it.
                        Yep.... Crazy thing is if remember this correctly Favre 1st pass ever thrown in NFL game he completed the pass to himself.
                        sigpic

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Chillez View Post
                          If Carson Palmer remains a Bengal and does indeed retire he is NOT smart. I hope he gets traded starts somewhere else a refresh maybe even new change of scenery will help him in the long run. Maybe he will have that competitive fire again.... I hope he doesn't retire he still has few good years left in him Palmer I believe still has some things to prove being a elite NFL QB again. The guy had so much talent it's scary until he got that tore ligaments in his left knee by Kimo Von Oelhoffen in that playoff game he never recovered. Hasn't been same player ever since then very very sad story. I feel bad for him whatever he choices is his decision I wish him best of luck this coming from huge Broncos fan btw.

                          Thanks for article. :thumb:
                          disagree with that, if he indeed really has 50-80 million dollars saved, he's a damn genius in my book lol
                          sigpic

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            also, he's reminding me of barry sanders
                            sigpic

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              and robert smith (although robert smith retired due to not wanting to suffer injuries that would shorten his lifespan)
                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X