Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New proposed rule changes

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...e=HP_headlines

The NFL is reviewing among other things.......kickoffs, in a bid to minimize injuries. Here's some of the article:

At next week's owners meetings in New Orleans, the competition committee will propose moving the kickoff up to the 35-yard line, and bringing a touchback out to the 25. There would be no changes for touchbacks on any other plays, with the ball coming out to the 20.

No player other than the kicker would be allowed to line up more than 5 yards behind the ball, and the committee will suggest outlawing the wedge on kickoffs; all blocking wedges were reduced to two players in 2009.

"The injury rate on kickoffs remains a real concern for us and the players and the coaches' subcommittee," said Falcons president Rich McKay, the chairman of the competition committee. "This is a pretty major change."

~~~~~~

I understand the importance of reducing injuries, especially those of the concussion type, but can you imagine how few kickoffs would be returned in Denver, with that thin air?? As it is now, few kicks are returned in Mile High. That would definitely change the value of kick returners in general, and would bring down the stock of a Peterson type, to some degree.

I do get the problem, but this one may need to be adjusted, if it gets approval. It makes sense to bring the ball out to the 25, to make teams think about how deep to kick the ball, but if Hester's out there, that's a pretty easy decision.

I hope they don't do this. Didn't college football recently move the kickoff spot back from the 35 to the 30 so that they would have less touchbacks? Kickoff returns are some of the most exciting and crucial parts of the game, and I hope the NFL doesn't mess that up.

Comment

Safty concerns aside, this is a foolish idea.
      Ask me about My Jesus and how to have a relationship with Him.

Red Sox Mafia RLF4 Life! Boston 617 Strong!
      sigpic

Comment

It's only a safety concern if you have a 6'4 +220 lb first round pick wide receiver going after punt/kick returns.

Comment

Regardless of stadium, you might as well just send the kicker out on anything but onside kicks. I say there should be a change to the out of bounds rule. Say, if a kicker can kick it out of bounds between the goal line and the 5 yard line, no penalty will be assessed and the team will start at the 5.
          "On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high."
          Ayrton Senna..

Comment

Originally posted by xX-Bronco-Xx View Post
            It's only a safety concern if you have a 6'4 +220 lb first round pick wide receiver going after punt/kick returns.
            Off topic here, but when i scanned the bar code in you're avatar. It sent me to a jazz CD. "A Song for You by Irene & Her Latin Jazz Band".

Comment

I don't like it. The kickoff return is big part of the game when it comes to field position and there are players specialized in the art of returning kicks. If you want to really prevent injuries, just ban the game of football from the planet. It is a violent sport. And the NFL will bring more safety rules, more descriptions of defenseless players. The game will only get worse.
              sigpic

Comment

If safty is the main concern, why not just elimate kickoffs all together and have teams start at the 25 yard line. After if all the only way to insure 100% safe kick return is not to have one. Better yet just start at the 50 yard line, half the field to travel means half the injuries.
                Ask me about My Jesus and how to have a relationship with Him.

Red Sox Mafia RLF4 Life! Boston 617 Strong!
                sigpic

Comment

I don't like it. I like the fact that they are showing that they want to help prevent injuries but this is football and special teams is a huge part of football that they are practically taking a part out now at least to an extent.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...e=HP_headlines

The NFL is reviewing among other things.......kickoffs, in a bid to minimize injuries. Here's some of the article:

At next week's owners meetings in New Orleans, the competition committee will propose moving the kickoff up to the 35-yard line, and bringing a touchback out to the 25. There would be no changes for touchbacks on any other plays, with the ball coming out to the 20.

No player other than the kicker would be allowed to line up more than 5 yards behind the ball, and the committee will suggest outlawing the wedge on kickoffs; all blocking wedges were reduced to two players in 2009.

"The injury rate on kickoffs remains a real concern for us and the players and the coaches' subcommittee," said Falcons president Rich McKay, the chairman of the competition committee. "This is a pretty major change."

~~~~~~

I understand the importance of reducing injuries, especially those of the concussion type, but can you imagine how few kickoffs would be returned in Denver, with that thin air?? As it is now, few kicks are returned in Mile High. That would definitely change the value of kick returners in general, and would bring down the stock of a Peterson type, to some degree.

I do get the problem, but this one may need to be adjusted, if it gets approval. It makes sense to bring the ball out to the 25, to make teams think about how deep to kick the ball, but if Hester's out there, that's a pretty easy decision.
                    Maybe if they made touchbacks come out to the 30 kickers would avoid kicking them
                    The beatings will continue until morale improves....

Comment

Why bother with a kickoff then? Why not just place the ball on the 25?

Comment

NFFL....it's coming. When it finally does arrive I guess I will start watching soccer.

BY the way...just so no one things I was implying profanity of any kind.

NFFL = National Flag Football League.

Comment

Originally posted by sethro109 View Post
                          Off topic here, but when i scanned the bar code in you're avatar. It sent me to a jazz CD. "A Song for You by Irene & Her Latin Jazz Band".
                          Google imaged bar code. Just used it for my design.

Comment

The rule is fine as is.
                            The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

Comment

Originally posted by Southstander View Post
                              Safty concerns aside, this is a foolish idea.
                              Really? "Safety issues aside"? That is a pretty stupid thing to say. Safety issues should never be put aside.

Comment

Working...
                              X