Clinton Portis would like to stick it Twice a year to the Redskins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clinton Portis would like to stick it Twice a year to the Redskins

Forgot about Portis being cut by the Redskins at the end of last season. Got me thinking Portis has now been fired more or less by Mike Shanhann twice on two diffrent teams LOL!! Champ Bailey is still going strong for us

Also, read the bolded part we will all laugh at this!!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...e=HP_headlines

Clinton Portis knows he has something to prove entering the 2011 season. He'd like to prove it to his former team, the Washington Redskins, twice per year.

Portis said Tuesday on SiriusXM NFL Radio that he wouldn't mind joining the NFC East rival New York Giants, calling the possibility "outstanding."

"I would love that opportunity," Portis said, via Comcast SportsNet Washington and RealRedskins.com.

Portis, 29, noted that the Giants pound the football with their 1-2 running back punch of Ahmad Bradshaw and Brandon Jacobs, boast a solid offensive line and have a premier quarterback in Eli Manning. All they need is to join forces.

"I just need to be able to come out and show what I'm capable of," said Portis, who's 77 rushing yards shy of 10,000 in his career. "... I think it's revitalizing to have an opportunity and still have the drive and still have the hunger to go out and prove people wrong."

The Giants aren't the only team on Portis' wish list. The Mississippi native expressed disappointment that the New Orleans Saints drafted Alabama running back Mark Ingram last month -- "I thought that would be a match made in heaven," Portis said -- and he mentioned San Diego's Philip Rivers, Indianapolis' Peyton Manning, New England's Tom Brady, Philadelphia's Michael Vick, Green Bay's Aaron Rodgers and Pittsburgh's Ben Roethlisberger as quarterbacks with whom he'd like to play.

One team not on Portis' list: the Oakland Raiders. That's because former Redskins offensive coordinator Al Saunders, who coached Portis in 2006 and 2007, is there.
    "I don't think Al Saunders' system fit me," Portis said. Me and Al kind of clashed when we were in D.C. -- I'm not sure he was a big fan of mine, the practice habits. ... I think for myself, (I need) a clean slate, something new, a fresh start."

The Redskins released Portis in February because of his impending $8.3 million salary and injuries that limited him to just 13 games in the last two seasons. Portis pointed out Tuesday that the NFL lockout, which is in its third month, actually helps him, giving him more time to heal.

"I think I'm in better shape today than I was since, probably, my fourth or fifth year in the NFL," Portis said. "... Now I'm having some freedom and opportunity to go elsewhere and train and do my own thing and recover at my own pace. Usually by now, my back hurts from pushing sleds and doing this and doing that in the offseason program. ...

"I'm looking forward to growing completely healed. I'm benching, I'm squatting, I'm running. I feel like I got the speed back that was once dominating and scared so many other opposing teams."
    sigpic

Someone should tell Portis that the Giants have ahmad bradshaw & Brandon Jacobs, two Rbs better than him.
    sigpic

@BlueNOrangeFTW

Comment

Portis still has a little bit left in the tank imo, I didn't know he was cut tho, he must hate Shanny lmao. I still think he has the burst to play 2 more years. Come back to Denver Port!

Comment

I'd be okay with his return, as long as White's spot on the roster isn't sacrificed for him.

Ball and Buck are both replacable.

Comment

Wow -- I can't believe Portis is only 29. He broke out so early that it seems like he's been around forever.

Comment

"I don't think Al Saunders' system fit me," Portis said. Me and Al kind of clashed when we were in D.C. -- I'm not sure he was a big fan of mine, the practice habits. ... I think for myself, (I need) a clean slate, something new, a fresh start."

^lol great endorsement of yourself right there

Comment

Originally posted by SoundsOfSuccess View Post
              I'd be okay with his return, as long as White's spot on the roster isn't sacrificed for him.

Ball and Buck are both replacable.
              I seriously doubt White will be a big factor..

I would love to be wrong... but I doubt he recovers enough to be good again.

Is there any news on him being in shape?
              He has a tenedency to get fat.
              - Go Broncos 2017 and Beyond! -

Super Bowl 50 CHAMPIONS!

Comment

Bring him to Denver. I'd love to have him back for a year or two. Let him show he's still "got sum left".
                *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
                *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
                *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Comment

Originally posted by PAINTERDAVE View Post

His only experience with getting fat was when he was using.

If he's still using, he shouldn't be on the team.

Comment

Originally posted by PAINTERDAVE View Post

I think it is a big question mark about his health. However I think his fitness will be fine. He showed up to Broncos camp in decent shape last year so I beleive he will be fine. His Achilles is the bigger problem.

Comment

CP was a true beast his rookie and sophomore years.

I always ask myself "what could he have done" if he stayed a Bronco.

Oh well, Champ is still an all-god in my book.

Comment

Originally posted by Peerless View Post
                        CP was a true beast his rookie and sophomore years.

I always ask myself "what could he have done" if he stayed a Bronco.

Oh well, Champ is still an all-god in my book.
                        Me to but I am much happy with Champ.

Comment

i wouldn't mind it as long as he was willing to play a COP back or back up position
                          sigpic
                          oakland raders gm
                          latavis murray trade bait

Comment

Indy would be a nice landing spot if Portis can prove he is healthy.

Comment

Portis isn't likely gonna land a starting running back spot with an NFL team. If he went to the Giants, he would be 3rd on the depth chart behind Jacobs and Bradshaw.

If he came back here, at best would be behind Moreno. Only way he becomes a starter is if he goes somewhere that has a very weak running game. (Colts, maybe Seahawks or Cardinals)

If he went to the Cowboys, he would probably be 4th behind Barber, Jones, and Murray.

If he went to the Eagles, he would have one of the best backs in the league in front of him. (Or at worst, the best RB in the division) LeSean McCoy.

A Return to the NFC East isn't a good fit.
                              Last edited by BroncoFanBoy; 06-12-2011, 08:36 PM.
                              sigpic

2014 Pick'Em Challenge Champion
                              Proud Fan of the 3 Time Super Bowl Champion Denver Broncos

Comment

Working...
                              X