Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• detriot interested in Nnamdi

http://www.nfldraftcity.com/node/1261
    Free Agency will begin immediately following an agreement for a new collective bargaining agreement. Cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha is expected to be the top free agent available. Sources close to both the Lions and Asomugha have privately expressed mutual interest in coming to terms on an agreement once work resumes.

Lions' GM Martin Mayhew has been consistent in his attempt to return Detroit football back to respectability. The team made a few gutsy picks in April’s draft, seemingly ignoring positions of greatest need like cornerback, or linebacker. However, many close to the Lions situation felt the picks of a third wide receiver and second running back were necessities and integral to the success of the offense; completing an offensive overhaul that has surrounded the teams greatest investment, Matthew Stafford with a plethora of weapons.

The Lions did add arguably the top defensive tackle from the 2011 draft class to an already stellar defensive line, and passed on top cornerbacks Jimmy Smith & Prince Amukamara in favor of Auburn’s Nick Fairley.

With the holes in the secondary and linebacking core still clearly an issue, it’s natural to draw the conclusion there would be interest in a top cornerback like Asomugha from Detroit, although it seems a little farfetched considering the Lions’ recent history of embarrassment including an 0-16 record just a few years ago. It is believed Nnamdi would like to join a perennial playoff team like the Packers or Eagles, and many seem to put the Lions in the same group as the star cornerback’s former team, another recent bottom feeder, Oakland Raiders. While many agree with that sentiment, others believe it won’t be long before the Lions return to respectability and may even reach the postseason as early as this upcoming season. NFLDraftCity.com’s Chris Habbo is reporting, according to sources close to Asomugha, he agrees with the latter opinion and would be interested in joining the Lions if the interest is mutual and both sides can come to term on a contract.

When presented to a member of the Detroit Lions staff the level of interest from the individual close to Asomugha, a Lions’ representative conveyed, “We still have obvious holes in our defense, specifically the secondary and if there is a player out there that we think can help us in some of those areas, we’re going to do everything in our power to make that player a part of this team.” The Lions representative declined to comment directly on Nnamdi Asomugha, but made it clear, “We’re not going to hold back if a player is there and can help this team and we feel the situation is right, the player is right and if those details are established, money won’t be an issue.”

If the Lions are unable to come to terms with Asomugha, it is expected they will shift focus to Cincinnati’s Jonathan Joseph or Jets’ Antonio Cromartie.
    http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf...ons_among.html

When it comes to NFL free agency, there's only one name that really matters to Detroit Lions fans: Nnamdi Asomugha.

Normally, that would be cause for some therapy sessions, but not according to NFL.com senior analyst Gil Brandt, who says the Lions would be one of but the top destinations for the Raiders cornerback if he doesn't return to Oakland.

The other two, in no particular order, are the Philadelphia Eagles and Houston Texans.

Brandt, who was vice president of player personnel for the Cowboys from 1960-89, thinks Detroit would be a great choice for the 29-year-old All-Pro cornerback because of its dominant defensive line, including back-to-back first-round selections of defensive tackle in All-Pro Ndamukong Suh and rookie Nick Fairley.

June 21, NFL.com: "I wouldn't be at all surprised if they make a big play for Asomugha," Brandt said. "And I think he would consider the situation in Detroit and playing for Jim Schwartz, who has won the respect of his team. A cornerback's best friend is a great defensive line, and right now the Lions have a pretty good group of defensive linemen."

As the consensus biggest name in this year's free agent market – pending a new CBA, of course – Asomugha would be a huge acquisition for the Lions whose biggest needs are at cornerback and outside linebacker.

The 6-foot-2, 210-pounder doesn't have stats that will overwhelm, but opposing quarterbacks are loathe to throw his way.

Should Asomugha bring his talents to Detroit, and if Chris Houston – the Lions' No. 1 cornerback from last season – re-signs with them, the position would suddenly have a completely different – and vastly-improved – look.
    so if detriot can sign Nnamdi, does that make them real contender this season. or do they need more of out side presence to take over for Van Den Bosh. they have avril which is due for a big year and Suh. but it will be interesting going foward
    sigpic
    oakland raders gm
    latavis murray trade bait

They have a pretty talented and young defense already; Nnamdi would only improve them.

The only thing holding the Lions back is their injury prone quarterback, and their hit & miss rushing attack.

Comment

No chance he goes to Detroit.

He's going to a contender. My money's on an NFC East team, probably Philla.

Comment

Detroit is already a contender, this has also been said by Adam, Mort, Golic, and others.

If Matt Stafford stays health Detroit will be in the playoffs.
        As for Nnamdi, he said he wants to be a Packers, but seeing how Detroit does need a DB, and they do have money, it would not be a surprise.

Money controls where a player lands, and the ability to be a star.
        sigpic
        Adopted Broncos:
        EmmanuelSanders

Comment

IF he goes to Detroit, i'll buy the Lions hype.

Probably Philly, Dallas or GB, playoff team.

Comment

The Lions is turning into a powerhouse team.Any team that plays the Lions will have their work cut out,especially if they sign Nhamdi.

Comment

The Lions have a bad secondary. But they have a much bigger problem: a bad OL. I can see a team compensate a bad secondary with a good DL. But when the OL is bad... Oh oh. It shows on the field. The QB goes down and the RBs can't do much.
              sigpic

Comment

They would have to make him the most payed player in the NFL, I don't see him going there but stranger things have happened.
                sigpic

2013,2014, and 2015 Adopt a Bronco: Champ Bailey, Marvin Austin and Matt Paradis

Comment

honestly, if i'm nnamdi and i'm honest about the whole contender thing, i'm taking a price cut to jump to NE
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jcdavey View Post
                    honestly, if i'm nnamdi and i'm honest about the whole contender thing, i'm taking a price cut to jump to NE
                    NE is stacked at CB with young talent, Mccourty(probowler), Bodden, Darius butler(41st overall pick in 10), Rad-I-Dowling(33rd pick and IMO was the second best CB in the draft) I'm not saying these guys are close to Nnamdi in talent, but the Pats have more pressing issues even with a price cut
                    What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
                    I don't know and I don't care

Comment

Originally posted by the0rangecrush View Post
                      NE is stacked at CB with young talent, Mccourty(probowler), Bodden, Darius butler(41st overall pick in 10), Rad-I-Dowling(33rd pick and IMO was the second best CB in the draft) I'm not saying these guys are close to Nnamdi in talent, but the Pats have more pressing issues even with a price cut
                      I agree NE probably would not be interested.

Comment

aso at Detroit is a scary thought, they could be one of the best defenses in the league if they picked him up.

that is kind of weird saying that about the lions.
                        Last edited by baphamet; 07-17-2011, 11:17 AM.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by baphamet View Post
                          aso at Detroit is a scary thought, they could be one if the best defenses in the league if they picked him up.

that is kind of weird saying that about the lions.
                          They don't have the talent at LB, but their D-Line may be the best in the NFL next year. Getting a Pro-Bowl talent at CB would only make that line better.
                          sigpic

Adopted Posters:
                          Broncbeat - 80stheman - kmcgough25 - InsaneBlaze 23
                          Adopted By:
                          Broncoholic JS & 80stheman
                          Broncbeat

Comment

Not a chance he's going to DET. Going to a contender for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by RaiderFanSD View Post
                              Not a chance he's going to DET. Going to a contender for sure.
                              With A so they would be a contender, but O-line is more pressing
                              What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
                              I don't know and I don't care

Comment

Working...
                              X