Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happened at the end of the Pats' loss?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened at the end of the Pats' loss?

The Patriots still had a chance to get the ball back with some time on the clock but Belichick either stupidly called a timeout or got forced to take one by the officials.

Anyone hear an explanation for that yet? It was their second timeout of the half.
    "You can't take the sky from me..."
    ------
    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

They we're talking about it on NFLN, but they never went in depth about it. Pretty weird.

Comment

You're not the only one who was confused. The announcers were too.

Basically, the runner was stopped short of the goal line. As such, the clock resumes when the ball is set. The review can not serve as a time out for the Patriots in this situation. As such, the Patriots had to burn a TO there.

As it stood, the Patriots could only have gotten the ball back with 14 seconds to spare, as long as the Bills chose to run out the clock before kicking the ball. The Bills did just that, but Fitz was moving around a little before downing the ball in the center of the field (likely to burn into that 14 seconds). The Patriots used another TO. The Bills did the same thing on the next down, but a Patriots player decided it would be sweet if he hit Fitz after he downed the ball. As such, an unnecessary roughness call was made. This provided the Bills with a first down, and essentially removed any chance of the Patriots getting the ball back with any time. The Bills continued to run the clock down, and kicked a game winning field goal.

Comment

Ah, that makes sense. Because the clock was already stopped, we couldn't figure out why they burned that timeout. But it definitely makes sense to resume the clock since it was an OFFICIAL's review, not by either team.

Thanks!
        "You can't take the sky from me..."
        ------
        "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

That's why I couldn't believe they didn't just let him score...

And it still amazes me that NFL teams don't understand that concept...if the guy is already inside the 20 heading to the endzone and it's under 2 minutes and you don't have all 3 timeouts...DO NOT tackle him short of the goalline...you are guarenteed a loss when the kicker buries an fg with no time on the clock...you're better off letting them score the TD and giving your offense all that time to score themselves...I seriously was like "wow, he really just tackled him at the 1yd line?"

Comment

Originally posted by #24 Next Champ View Post
            That's why I couldn't believe they didn't just let him score...

And it still amazes me that NFL teams don't understand that concept...if the guy is already inside the 20 heading to the endzone and it's under 2 minutes and you don't have all 3 timeouts...DO NOT tackle him short of the goalline...you are guarenteed a loss when the kicker buries an fg with no time on the clock...you're better off letting them score the TD and giving your offense all that time to score themselves...I seriously was like "wow, he really just tackled him at the 1yd line?"
            The Packers tried that back in Super Bowl XXXII.

How'd that work out for them?

Comment

i saw some criticism of orton's post game comments about his int

but look at brady's comments

if orton said this, you guys would be ripping him a new one lol

"On what went wrong:

“We played a good football team, we made too many mistakes. So it’s tough to overcome as many mistakes as we did, and they made a lot of plays. They’ve got a good team.”

On what they did differently in the second half

“They’re a good coverage team. I think they made some good plays in the pass game, took advantage of some opportunities they got… and, you know, we fought till the end, but it just wasn’t enough.”

On the fact he had as many interceptions today (4) as he had all of last season:

“[Laughs]”

It’s kind of foreign to you isn’t it?

“Sure… Sure… ”

Is there a rational explanation for it?

“It’s… they made some good plays on the ball. You don’t expect …. some days the ball gets batted up in the air and it goes your way, and some days it doesn’t, and that’s part of the game. [Bill's safety] George Wilson made a hell of a play on that one interception so that’s the way the ball bounces, that’s football.”

On how much shock he’s in to lose a 21 point lead after things seemed so easy early on:

“It’s never easy. I mean, they came back last week and I thought we were expecting a four quarter game. We had our opportunities, so we didn’t really take advantage of our opportunities like I wish we would have. We had too many turnovers, too many penalties, allowed them to get some easy plays there, and they took advantage when they needed to.”
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X