That fumble in the Giants game.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That fumble in the Giants game.

Explain this to me in regards to consistency.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-fantas...umble-recovery

Amazing to me how the Pats got the ball, but the Cardinals didnt.

WWE, is the NFL. Virtually scripted.

nearly the exact same play, i mean identical

just a bad call and now the NFL is trying to cover it up by making it seem different.
    sigpic
    -------

Comment

I heard the rule read from the book on Football Night in America and the way it's worded allows a lot of interpretation on part of the refs.

"Rule 7, Section 2, Article 1 states that 'An official shall declare the ball dead and the down ended: (e): when a runner is out of bounds, or declares himself down by falling to the ground, or kneeling, and making no effort to advance.' "
      But that open interpretation leads to scenarios like the one we saw where the refs have an outcome on the game which I don't think should happen.

Comment

That may be the dumbest call I have ever seen.
        sigpic

Comment

What if Cruz, instead of letting the ball go, did something like this?

Comment

Originally posted by thenewera44 View Post
            What if Cruz, instead of letting the ball go, did something like this?

Really your going to bring up those old memories... I guess they don't hurt as much as the way we play now but still I already in the dumps with how this season is going to need to bring in other season to make it worse

Adopted Broncos:
            (2011-2013) Eric Decker
            (2014-2018) Bradley Roby
            (2019-Current) Drew Lock
            Adopted posters:
            Everyone

Comment

Defense should have touched Harrison so he was down and Cruz should not have left the ball on the ground. It's the referees decision when it comes down to it.

Comment

I thought it looked like Cruz purposely dove to the ground to signal the play was over, the SD receiver landed on the ground because he was laying out for a catch, not giving himself up.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoserman117 View Post
                  I thought it looked like Cruz purposely dove to the ground to signal the play was over, the SD receiver landed on the ground because he was laying out for a catch, not giving himself up.
                  How do explain away the fact that he dove back trying to get the ball back? Let me tell you why. He is a rookie and he did what is rather common amongst rookies. He thought he was officially down when his knees touched. If he thought he was touched like he said, or was doing something that was with in the rules, he would not have been panicked. Manning knew it was a fumble, Manninham knew it was a fumble all by their reactions.

The exact same scenario in just about the same part of the field with the Chargers and Pats last year. Virtually idendtical. Of course the Pats got that call.

It isnt amazing to me, I get it. I think it sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by thenewera44 View Post
                    How do explain away the fact that he dove back trying to get the ball back? Let me tell you why. He is a rookie and he did what is rather common amongst rookies. He thought he was officially down when his knees touched. If he thought he was touched like he said, or was doing something that was with in the rules, he would not have been panicked. Manning knew it was a fumble, Manninham knew it was a fumble all by their reactions.

The exact same scenario in just about the same part of the field with the Chargers and Pats last year. Virtually idendtical. Of course the Pats got that call.

It isnt amazing to me, I get it. I think it sucks.
                    Honestly I didn't know that wrinkle of the rule until just now, he probably didn't know it either. I think he got confused, thought he was in college or had gotten touched, and then panicked at the end, and just got lucky that he had given himself up.

He was within the rules, I think it's a dumb rule, but it's the rules.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoserman117 View Post
                      Honestly I didn't know that wrinkle of the rule until just now, he probably didn't know it either. I think he got confused, thought he was in college or had gotten touched, and then panicked at the end, and just got lucky that he had given himself up.

He was within the rules, I think it's a dumb rule, but it's the rules.
                      You see this is what I am talking about. It is an interepretation of the ref. I watched the Charger Pats play a few times and that WR could have easily been seen doing the same thing as Cruz. He thought like Cruz thought was down. he was a rookie too I believe.

The fact is if he had gotten up and did what Harrison did, who was in a literal fetal position playing opossum, Cruz may have been awarded yards. If he got up and the defense just ignored him and he ran for a TD, he would have awarded the score. I know that was 2003 with Harrison or whatever. It still sort of makes me sick that the Pats of course gets the ball and little old zona doesnt against big market NY.

Comment

I watched that game and there is no way the guy was "giving himself up". He slipped. You can see as hes running how his legs just give out.

He didnt cover the ball as he went down as if he was bracing to hit the ground. His legs were too wide as he was moving forward and he tripped.

Guaranteed that if he had gotten up and scored they wouldve awarded him the touchdown. Instead the Cards were heads up and recovered a fumble.

On Fox they were even talking to that replay official dude they had in some studio and he pretty much said the refs were making up for Cruz's stupidity.

NFL likes NE. They apparently dont like AZ.
                        LET 'ER BUCK!!!
                        Adopted by: Peanut, Chazoe60, CanDB, RealBronco and JakeNbake

Comment

i just dont get why they dont make someone touch a player, it would eliminate almost ALL ambiguity from that type of play

either slide feet first like a qb and be down or be touched down.

simple rule change that honestly seems too simple not to already be a rule, why let people other than the player decide if he tripped and fell or was giving himself up
                          sigpic
                          -------

Comment

Originally posted by SBboundBRONCOS View Post
                            i just dont get why they dont make someone touch a player, it would eliminate almost ALL ambiguity from that type of play

either slide feet first like a qb and be down or be touched down.

simple rule change that honestly seems too simple not to already be a rule, why let people other than the player decide if he tripped and fell or was giving himself up
                            I think you should have to be touched regardless because I remember the bengals game against us earlier this season and Dalton went to slide so Vaughn pulled up, but when Dalton's knees hit he sprung forward for extra yards. And if you don't believe me if some one can find that video he leans back when he starts to go down and his knees hit first, so he saw he wasn't going to be touched he sprung forward. So I say just make it mandatory to touch them so they are down.

Adopted Broncos:
                            (2011-2013) Eric Decker
                            (2014-2018) Bradley Roby
                            (2019-Current) Drew Lock
                            Adopted posters:
                            Everyone

Comment

Originally posted by #87Birdman View Post
                              I think you should have to be touched regardless because I remember the bengals game against us earlier this season and Dalton went to slide so Vaughn pulled up, but when Dalton's knees hit he sprung forward for extra yards. And if you don't believe me if some one can find that video he leans back when he starts to go down and his knees hit first, so he saw he wasn't going to be touched he sprung forward. So I say just make it mandatory to touch them so they are down.
                              i didnt see that game but ya if that happened then i agree, it just seems so obvious to me

maybe they have a reason for it, IDK
                              sigpic
                              -------

Comment

Working...
                              X