Raiders pushing to trade for Palmer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raiders pushing to trade for Palmer

Apparently the Raiders are sweet on Carson Palmer.

If nothing else, the rumors surrounding this year’s trading deadline are more interesting than usual.

Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports reports the Raiders are “trying hard” to acquire Carson Palmer. Cole’s source “highly doubts” Bengals owner Mike Brown would make a move, but perhaps the Raiders could make him think with a big offer.

We’ve assumed there is no chance Palmer will be traded, and that’s probably the case. Palmer called Brown last week without making Brown budge.

Still, there is a possibility Oakland could make a generous offer.

The Raiders are 4-2 and ready to make a run to the playoffs for the first time in nearly a decade. They just lost their starting quarterback, likely for the season. If any team was ever going to make an over-aggressive move including a first round pick, it’s Oakland in the next two days.

(The Raiders are already without second-, third-, and fourth-round picks in next year’s draft though.)

Other possibilities for the Raiders could include signing David Garrard or trying to trade for Kyle Orton. Both of those moves make more sense to us because the cost will be less.
    Hope we can work something out, but I doubt it. Despite finally ceding some control of personnel to Marvin, Mike Brown is still in charge.

And he's an idiot.
    HEAR ME ROAR!
    sigpic
    Thanks to Freyaka for the great sig!

Ruh roh.

If they get Carson, they'll seriously be a contender.

Good thing Brown is an idiot.

Comment

Wow, he's willing to hurt the future of his team just to make a point.....!?

That's brilliant.

(speaking about Brown)
      Last edited by Al Wilson 4 Mayor; 10-16-2011, 11:07 PM.
      sigpic
      Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Palmer probably wouldn't do much at first if Oakland got him, since he hasn't even worked out or played football since last season, but then he'd get better. Smart idea by the Raiders, but ya, good thing Brown doesn't want to trade Palmer.
        sigpic

2014 Pick'Em Challenge Champion
        Proud Fan of the 3 Time Super Bowl Champion Denver Broncos

Comment

Originally posted by WhoDeyBengals View Post
          Apparently the Raiders are sweet on Carson Palmer.

Hope we can work something out, but I doubt it. Despite finally ceding some control of personnel to Marvin, Mike Brown is still in charge.

And he's an idiot.
          If this trade were to happen, what would you like in return?

It's interesting, because the raiders are missing a bunch of picks already.

IMO Palmer isn't worth a 1st, but a 5th 6th or 7th isn't enough.

A player for player trade perhaps?
          Adopted 2010 Bronco: Chris Kuper
          Adopted 2011 Bronco: Brian Dawkins

Comment

Originally posted by broncsfan21 View Post

i bet a second or third is what they need to use to get Palmer. and if they could offer a 4th this year and a second the year after that. and probably a 6th. that would be a great trade for both teams.
            sigpic
            oakland raders gm
            latavis murray trade bait

Comment

Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
              i bet a second or third is what they need to use to get Palmer. and if they could offer a 4th this year and a second the year after that. and probably a 6th. that would be a great trade for both teams.
              They dont have a 2nd 3rd or 4th this year is the thing

Comment

Palmer is retired.

A team would be stupid to even attempt to trade for one.
                The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Brown View Post
                  Palmer is retired.

A team would be stupid to even attempt to trade for one.
                  Yep. Once a player retires he is done forever. Just ask Favre who retired with the Packers in 08...

Comment

Yep. Once a player retires he is done forever. Just ask Favre who retired with the Packers in 08...
                    Favre never knew when to quit.

Favre was a running joke. They even made commercials mocking him about not retiring. He was a punchline.

Palmer is retired - stay retired.

Comment

Favre was a running joke. They even made commercials mocking him about not retiring. He was a punchline.

Ya...he definitely shouldn't tarnish his illustrious 7 year career ...Palmer will come back the second Brown quits bein ridiculous ...I don't think he realizes the impact he's making on keeping future FA's the hell away from that franchise because they don't wanna be stuck (although he traded Ocho) ...idk

Comment

Don't be silly. Carson Palmer isn't some broken-down 42-year-old quarterback. He's still got a lot left in the tank. He's in the middle of a power struggle with the owner.

Any sensible owner would only want players who want to be on the team and would gladly get best value for Palmer, especially in light of the fact that Andy Dalton is clearly more than serviceable as a replacement. Besides, Palmer seemed to regress a bit from his best days before the playoff knee injury. If some team is looking to overpay for a guy who's not helping the team — and is in fact hurting the team by forcing it to keep cap room open for his salary, given the threat of his return should they not be able to accomodate it — then you pull the trigger.

But this is Mike Brown we're talking about here. His pride is hurt. He thought of Palmer as his best pick ever, and the fact that Palmer wants out clearly has the guy heartbroken. He'd rather hurt Palmer by not letting him play the game he loves anymore.

Of course, if he comes to his senses and gets a ton more than he deserves in exchange for Palmer, then everyone's going to think his whole approach to the situation was a genius move. And then everyone will start heaping praise on Mike Brown, a guy who finally "gets it."

And that'll be hard to argue against.

I'd agree. I think a player and a pick would be the way to go. If we could get a second from the Raiders, I'd be fine with it, although I know they don't have one for 2012. The Bengals could use help at guard, safety and receiver, and I think the Raiders could part ways with one of their better receivers for him. Denarius Moore and a 2013 3rd rounder would be fine by me.
                        HEAR ME ROAR!
                        sigpic
                        Thanks to Freyaka for the great sig!

Comment

Palmer > Garrard > Orton. Hopefully they pick Orton lol
                          sigpic

2013,2014, and 2015 Adopt a Bronco: Champ Bailey, Marvin Austin and Matt Paradis

Comment

Originally posted by roushmartin6 View Post
                            Palmer > Garrard > Orton. Hopefully they pick Orton lol
                            Lol good post

Comment

Players like Palmer refusing to report ended their own careers. Take the hint from Plummer - stay retired.

Comment

Working...
                              X