What's up with Rex Ryan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's up with Rex Ryan?

Sorry if someone else brought this up. But now he's at it with Norv Turner. Here's the link, followed by the story.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/stor...ner-fires-back

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- The New York Jets were hoping for a quiet few days after last week's headline-making turmoil, but coach Rex Ryan ended any chance of that Wednesday by starting a war of words with San Diego Chargers coach Norv Turner.

Ryan, preparing to face the Chargers Sunday at MetLife Stadium, inadvertently took a shot at Turner in a conference call with the San Diego media. Ryan, who interviewed for the Chargers' head coaching position in 2007, was asked how he might have fared if he had been hired instead of Turner.

"Well, I think I would have had a couple of rings," Ryan said with a laugh. "I'm telling you, those teams were loaded. There's no question about it. But things happen for a reason. Obviously, Norv Turner has done a great job there, and A.J. (Smith) and everybody. That's a great franchise, and he's probably the best guy for the job at that time."

Ryan evidently realized his comments could be taken as a slight toward Turner, so he called his counterpart to clarify his remarks, according to a Jets spokesman.

Turner, addressing the situation later Wednesday, fired back at Ryan after confirming that the Jets coach had called.

"I hadn't seen his quote and I was a little bit surprised by the call, and after I saw the quote I didn't have the chance to ask him this, but I was wondering if he had those rings with the ones he's guaranteed the last couple of years," Turner told reporters in San Diego, taking a blatant shot at Ryan's endless stream of bold predictions.

Ryan predicted a Super Bowl for the Jets as soon as he was hired in 2009, but they haven't made it, losing in the AFC Championship Game for two straight seasons.

Ironically, Ryan's back-and-forth with Turner came four days after he chided two of his own players, wide receiver Santonio Holmes and guard Brandon Moore, for sniping at each other in the media.

Ryan's remarks also could be perceived as an indictment of the talent on his own roster, although it should be noted that he predicted a Super Bowl his first day on the job -- an indication that he felt he's had enough talent to win in New York.

The Chargers have always been known as a team with outstanding talent that underachieves in the postseason. They qualified for the playoffs in Turner's first three seasons, but were eliminated in the AFC title game (2007) and in the divisional round (2008 and 2009). In fact, the Ryan-coached Jets upset the Chargers in 2009, when many felt that Turner had the talent to go to the Super Bowl.

At the time of the interview, Ryan was the Baltimore Ravens' defensive coordinator. He said the San Diego opportunity "opened some doors for me," and he later went on to interview for several other head coaching jobs before being hired by the Jets in 2009.

Ryan has two of Turner's former stars on his roster, running back LaDainian Tomlinson and cornerback Antonio Cromartie. Both came to the Jets in 2009, Cromartie in a trade and Tomlinson after an acrimonious divorce from the Chargers.

Rich Cimini covers the Jets for ESPNNewYork.com.

Follow Rich Cimini on Twitter: @RichCimini

It's irritating to me when guys talk trash when they haven't accomplished much themselves. Why go out attacking people? I guess to keep from people noticing how your team is looking. When they think of the Jets, they'll think of Rex Ryan and who he's arguing with now instead of how their players are talking about each other.

Rex I find needs to make it 'us against the world' with his team. its part of who he is I find.

and we do know he likes.. putting his foot in his mouth..errr

Comment

Originally posted by Remedy View Post
      Rex I find needs to make it 'us against the world' with his team. its part of who he is I find.

and we do know he likes.. putting his foot in his mouth..errr
      I find this to be an interesting viewpoint on Rex, I find....
      sigpic

DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Comment

Rex is such a jackass that I almost want to root for the Chargers.

Comment

Rex Ryan is Rex Ryan.
          He says things, then eats his words. That's just him.
          sigpic
          Adopted Broncos:
          EmmanuelSanders

Comment

Originally posted by Zombie Hunter View Post
            Rex is such a jackass that I almost want to root for the Chargers.
            sigpic
            Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Rex is just being Rex.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RealBronco View Post
                I find this to be an interesting viewpoint on Rex, I find....
                I find that I should re-read my posts before I hit 'submit reply" ... I find

Comment

nothing he says matters anymore, his team likely wont even make the playoffs.

norv owned him with his response though.

asked where rex's guaranteed rings were.

its like Ryan doesn't even care if he is wrong and it doesn't matter, he just keeps making new outlandish claims that never come true.

Comment

Originally posted by baphamet View Post
                    nothing he says matters anymore, his team likely wont even make the playoffs.

norv owned him with his response though.

asked where rex's guaranteed rings were.

its like Ryan doesn't even care if he is wrong and it doesn't matter, he just keeps making new outlandish claims that never come true.
                    Pretty much. That's what Rex and his team is.
                    Talk the talk, no walk the walk.

Ryan is a dog with no bark this season, and when he makes guarantees.
                    sigpic
                    Adopted Broncos:
                    EmmanuelSanders

Comment

I don't disagree with Rex, I think Norv is lucky to still be there given the amount of talent he has had and the QB, yet how many playoff wins in the last 5 years.

Although Ryan does talk alot, He needs to find a QB and offense first

Comment

Originally posted by bronx_2003 View Post
                        I don't disagree with Rex, I think Norv is lucky to still be there given the amount of talent he has had and the QB, yet how many playoff wins in the last 5 years.

Although Ryan does talk alot, He needs to find a QB and offense first
                        as many playoff wins as any other top chargers HC in the history of the franchise in the sb era lol

norv = 3-3 in the playoffs as a chargers head coach
                        bobby ross = 3-3 in the playoffs as a chargers head coach
                        don coryell = 3-4 in the playoffs as a chargers head coach
                        marty crapenheimer = 0-2 in the playoffs as a chargers head coach

one of these days you might come to realize that norv's actually tied atop all chargers head coaches in the sb era , with a .500 playoff win % (which speaks more to how cursed sd is, than how cursed norv is, cause he has 2 rings as an OC)

norv's current chargers winning % in regular season games is #1 among all chargers head coaches in the sb era

rex was clearly retarded, you can't win a superbowl as a chargers head coach lol, something in the water there

coryell had alot of talent to work with, and no one craps on him like they do on norv lol

hypocrites
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jcdavey View Post
                          as many playoff wins as any other top chargers HC in the history of the franchise in the sb era lol

norv = 3-3 in the playoffs as a chargers head coach
                          bobby ross = 3-3 in the playoffs as a chargers head coach
                          don coryell = 3-4 in the playoffs as a chargers head coach
                          marty crapenheimer = 0-2 in the playoffs as a chargers head coach

one of these days you might come to realize that norv's actually tied atop all chargers head coaches in the sb era , with a .500 playoff win % (which speaks more to how cursed sd is, than how cursed norv is, cause he has 2 rings as an OC)

norv's current chargers winning % in regular season games is #1 among all chargers head coaches in the sb era

rex was clearly retarded, you can't win a superbowl as a chargers head coach lol, something in the water there

coryell had alot of talent to work with, and no one craps on him like they do on norv lol

hypocrites
                          Well, I don't know about other Charger HC's but yoy can't really let Norv off because his playoff record is better than theirs were. Maybe they underachieved as well.

With Rivers you are always going to be in or around the playoffs but I just think the Chargers should of had a better record in the playoffs the last 5 years and you have to place that on the HC.

Even Rex took the Jets to 2 Champ. games the last few years and he had Sanchez at QB !

Comment

Originally posted by bronx_2003 View Post
                            Well, I don't know about other Charger HC's but yoy can't really let Norv off because his playoff record is better than theirs were. Maybe they underachieved as well.

With Rivers you are always going to be in or around the playoffs but I just think the Chargers should of had a better record in the playoffs the last 5 years and you have to place that on the HC.

Even Rex took the Jets to 2 Champ. games the last few years and he had Sanchez at QB !
                            but he came up short lol, so it's the same

you win it all or you don't

and in regards to chargers underachieving......you're seeing the point finally, they've underachieved with every head coach they've had in the sb era lol

that's the whole point, and why i have to laugh when people crap on norv, yet hold coryell in such reverence

it's BS

norv has issues he had to deal with in washington, then he had to work for crazy al, now he's in a basically cursed city

i really am glad he got those rings with dallas while he could

maybe one day sd will win it all....but i been waiting over 30 years so........yeah, curses are real, for me
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jcdavey View Post
                              but he came up short lol, so it's the same

you win it all or you don't

and in regards to chargers underachieving......you're seeing the point finally, they've underachieved with every head coach they've had in the sb era lol

that's the whole point, and why i have to laugh when people crap on norv, yet hold coryell in such reverence

it's BS

norv has issues he had to deal with in washington, then he had to work for crazy al, now he's in a basically cursed city

i really am glad he got those rings with dallas while he could

maybe one day sd will win it all....but i been waiting over 30 years so........yeah, curses are real, for me
                              To be fair it's never easy with teams like NE, Indy with Manning, The Ravens, Jets, Steelers, etc....... so it's a strong conference.........much better than the NFC IMO, although they may have THE BEST team.

You should win the division but really need the 1/2 seed IMO and then we'll see................ maybe it's the year of the bolts

Comment

Working...
                              X