Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Robert Griffin will NOT be a Brown

LINK

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- For a new year, some new thoughts ...

About the Browns

1. It's time for fans to face the truth. Their team is nearly empty of playmakers on offense, other than having a big-time left tackle in Joe Thomas. The Browns ranked 30th in runs of at least 20 yards. They have five -- three from Chris Ogbonnaya, one from Peyton Hillis and one from Colt McCoy.

2. They ranked 30th in passing plays of at least 20 yards. Guess who leads the team in that category? It's Joshua Cribbs with eight, and questions remain about him even being a starting receiver in the NFL. Next is Greg Little with six.

3. All of this screams Playmakers -- Get the Browns some playmakers!

4. It also underlines that the West Coast Offense is no magic formula. It is no better than whatever was used by the Browns under Eric Mangini. In fact, in some categories, they are worse. No one claimed the Browns would become a top-10 team on offense. But they averaged 16.9 points under Mangini in 2010, 13.9 this season. You can argue that Hillis was injured much of this season, but the Browns kept getting quarterbacks hurt in 2010.

5. My point is absolutely nothing changed in the big picture when it comes to offense. Maybe the passing is a little better, as Little does have 61 catches. They have 16 TD passes compared to 13 a year ago. But the running game is much worse. The goal is the end zone. The Browns simply can't find it.

6. The team must undertake a wide-ranging offensive upgrade. That means you don't trade tons of draft picks to move up and grab a quarterback. It means you admit a need for two receivers, and one should be a veteran with the ability to make clutch catches in traffic.

7. The running game must be a concern. Do they re-sign Hillis after this injury-prone season? They certainly can't count on Montario Hardesty, because he can't stay healthy. Ogbonnaya is a nice backup. Brandon Jackson will be back from his foot injury, but he is not considered a heavy-duty running back.

8. It's amazing the same team that opened training camp with real depth at running back -- Hillis, Hardesty and Jackson -- may need to add a running back. Hillis has battled several injuries and has been fully healthy for only about four games this season.

9. None of this is an enthusiastic endorsement of McCoy. He does not have the physical gifts to be an elite quarterback. But other than Andrew Luck, that guy doesn't appear to be in the draft. Robert Griffin III is a playmaker, but exactly how does he fit into the passing offense? Everything he does is out of the shotgun, which is not the favorite formation of the Browns. He is most dangerous running around, rather than taking a quick drop back and zipping a short pass.

10. Maybe the Browns would be willing to turn their offense upside down for Griffin. If they do draft him, they must institute some major changes. If not, it's a wasted pick.

11. But even with Griffin, they have so many questions at wide receiver and running back that must be filled. Yes, they need a right tackle.

12. The Browns may wonder why the media and fans have been so negative. It's more than the 4-11 record. It's how the team raised expectations for the offense, but didn't deliver. This has been a bad, boring team on too many Sunday afternoons.
    The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

Shurmur and Holmgren have both shown this season that they WILL NOT work with a quarterback. McCoy would be better used in a Shotgun as well. However, Shurmur insists that McCoy MUST fit HIS system, not the other way around.

So, despite having no help along the offensive line, and no help from the running back position, the team took snaps from center - not from the Shotgun formation.

So, on top of the need for recievers and offensive line, not to mention the needs on defense, WHY in HECK draft a quarterback?

There is no reason - the only reason given is to "draft a quarterback for the sake of drafting a quarterback. That way you can say that you drafted a quarterback."

The Browns DO NOT NEED a quarterback. The Browns need receivers, running backs, offensive linemen, and help on defense.

NOWHERE in that list is quarterback.
    The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

Comment

The Browns won't draft Griffin because Griffin will be drafted before the 4th overall pick. He would be their pick if available.
      sigpic

Comment

If I were the Browns I'd forget about Griffin and draft Blackmon. If McCoy actually had good receivers to throw to, he wouldn't be half bad. Blackmon has the ability to dominate games, and he's an extremely high character guy unlike Dez Bryant.

Griffin is a little overrated IMO, but if some team wants him with a high pick take him and grab the popcorn.

Comment

I agree with you as far as them not having any talent on offense what so ever. They should draft Blackmon with the pick and if he is not there Richardson.

Comment

Originally posted by Roddoliver View Post
            The Browns won't draft Griffin because Griffin will be drafted before the 4th overall pick. He would be their pick if available.
            Lol who is gonna take RG3?
            A healthy Kenneth Dixon is a top 5 NFL RB.

Comment

Originally posted by crash123go View Post
              Vikings maybe. Ponder did not play nearly as well as the media would like us to believe. I'm not projecting it just saying they could take him and I think he will be better than Ponder.
              sigpic

Comment

If the Browns aren't willing to take an anemic offense and start over from scratch with a franchise QB then that's on them.

That's a classic example of a franchise thinking their system is more important than the players. It's foolish..
                sigpic
                Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
                  If the Browns aren't willing to take an anemic offense and start over from scratch with a franchise QB then that's on them.

That's a classic example of a franchise thinking their system is more important than the players. It's foolish..
                  I don't understand how this is an example of them thinking the system is more important than the players? I feel like it would be them still having faith in McCoy who is only in his second year to still become the franchise qb if they put better weapons around him. Blackmon or Richardson for example.

Like Charlie Brown said it makes no sense to keep drafting QB after QB if you aren't ever going to put anything around them. That would be foolish.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
                    I don't understand how this is an example of them thinking the system is more important than the players? I feel like it would be them still having faith in McCoy who is only in his second year to still become the franchise qb if they put better weapons around him. Blackmon or Richardson for example.

Like Charlie Brown said it makes no sense to keep drafting QB after QB if you aren't ever going to put anything around them. That would be foolish.
                    They don't have an offense. QB is the most important position on the field. If you're a bad team and you pass up an opportunity to draft a franchise QB, which Griffin is, it's foolish in my opinion.
                    sigpic
                    Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Blackmon should be the Browns pick
                      sigpic
                      Thank you Charger$

Comment

Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
                        Vikings maybe. Ponder did not play nearly as well as the media would like us to believe. I'm not projecting it just saying they could take him and I think he will be better than Ponder.
                        http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...s-quarterback/
                        Now go get your shine box

Comment

Originally posted by HavoK471 View Post
                          Blackmon should be the Browns pick
                          Blackmon might not make it past the rams at #2
                          Now go get your shine box

Comment

Originally posted by crash123go View Post
                            A team trading up for the 2nd or 3rd overall pick.

I also think the Colts will consider taking Griffin instead of Luck.

Griffin has more upside with that speed and arm strenght in a dome.
                            sigpic

Comment

The Browns would be IDIOTS not to take RG3 if he's there. I think he'd bring some excitement to that organization, as well as being a very good or even elite player for them.

Comment

Working...
                              X