Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• -13 Amp-
    replied
    Vick has only finished 1 whole season (2006)...

Leave a comment:

• getlynched47
    replied
    Originally posted by AC1 View Post
    Excellent post! I agree it is about stability and the cornerstone of your team.

The current list of franchise QBs IMO -

AFC North - Rothlisberger, Flacco
    AFC East - Brady
    AFC South - Manning, Schaub
    AFC West - Rivers
    NFC North - Cutler, Rodgers, Stafford
    NFC East - Eli, Romo
    NFC South - Brees, Ryan, Newton
    NFC West - Bradford

Of these, I'd say Stafford, Newton and Bradford I have some reservations about. But having spent the first overall picks on these guys the last three years, their teams are likely to not worry about this position for a while.

So, it's 12 guys and 3 #1 picks.
    Dalton and Gabbert are the cornerstones of their respective teams. Are they franchise quarterbacks?

-------------------------

Like you guys said, stability is something to look at when evaluating a franchise quarterback. However, I don't agree that the "franchise quarterback" tag is easily applied and removed.

Look at Mark Sanchez. He was a "franchise quarterback" his rookie season because he got to the AFC Championship game. Now he's not a franchise quarterback because he missed the playoffs?

The Bills just handed Ryan Fitzpatrick a big contract, and intend on building around him. He also puts up some pretty stats. Is he a franchise quarterback?

Cam Newton is a "franchise quarterback" on your list, but Michael Vick isn't? Vick puts up pretty stats and has done it two seasons in a row. Not to mention that he got a huge chunk of change with his new contract.

Kevin Kolb? Cardinals intend to build around him. Isn't he a franchise quarterback?

I hate how liberally people apply the "franchise quarterback" tag.

Leave a comment:

• Andyy_47
    replied
    To me, in modern times it simply means a QB that has unquestionable faith from his coaching staff and the rest of the organization. Drafting around this player shows commitment.

Leave a comment:

• -Rod-
    replied
    Is Blaine Gabbert a franchise QB? No. The owner said he thinks that Gabbert is their franchise QB. There is no certainty yet.

"We want to develop him and we need to give him tools and a dedicated coach," said Khan. "I think he's going to be a great quarterback. I think he is our franchise QB."

At this point, this is just a promise of stability, an expectation. Blaine Gabbert is not a winner, he does not make the Jaguars competitive. The QB position is not stable in Jacksonville. Not yet. Gabbert only has 1 season of pro football and he will have to work with a new head coach in 2012.

But the team owner wants to keep Gabbert as the starter and develop him. He wants Gabbert to be the guy. We should expect stability there. It does not mean it will happen. We will see in a few years. According to the owner, the Jaguars will let Gabbert add experience and build the team around him.

But Eli Manning, for example, is a franchise QB. The Giants don't think about replacing him. They just try to improve the rest of the roster and let Eli play. He's been their QB since 2004. The Broncos had Jake Plummer, Jay Cutler, Kyle Orton and Tim Tebow in the same period. And several OCs and systems.

Matt Stafford is a franchise QB. The Lions don't think about replacing him. If Andrew Luck falls in their lap, they won't change the QB (even because Stafford is better). Stafford had Pro Bowl stats in 2011. 5000+ yards, 41 TD. I would say these are elite stats. Good luck trying to get rid of him and find someone else that can produce these numbers and make his throws. Stafford makes the Lions very competitive.

Leave a comment:

• AC1
    replied
    Originally posted by Roddoliver View Post
    The franchise QB is not necessarily an elite QB. The term "franchise QB" is about stability. There are very few elite QBs because the term "elite" itself is related to a very small group. Out of 32 starting QBs, you might take 5 of them to create the elite list. But there are more than 5 franchise QBs in my opinion.

The franchise QB is the player good enough to make the team competitive and stabilize the position. He wins games and helps the team get to the playoffs. The franchise will not think about getting another QB to compete for the job, there is stability. The front office will keep building around the QB.

Eli Manning is a franchise QB. His stats are good, he wins a lot of games and already has a Super Bowl. The Giants are competitive with Eli Manning. He stabilized the QB position for the Giants. He is their starting QB since 2004. He's been the guy for a long time.

Among the younger players, Matt Stafford is a franchise QB. The Lions don't want to change their QB. They are in the playoffs with Stafford, and he is one of the reasons why they are competitive. The team is building around Stafford, he is the unquestioned starter. The position is stable. They are not worried about getting a QB that can compete for the job with Stafford.
    Excellent post! I agree it is about stability and the cornerstone of your team.

The current list of franchise QBs IMO -

AFC North - Rothlisberger, Flacco
    AFC East - Brady
    AFC South - Manning, Schaub
    AFC West - Rivers
    NFC North - Cutler, Rodgers, Stafford
    NFC East - Eli, Romo
    NFC South - Brees, Ryan, Newton
    NFC West - Bradford

Of these, I'd say Stafford, Newton and Bradford I have some reservations about. But having spent the first overall picks on these guys the last three years, their teams are likely to not worry about this position for a while.

So, it's 12 guys and 3 #1 picks.

Leave a comment:

• JayJack
    replied
    The franchise QB is not necessarily an elite QB. The term "franchise QB" is about stability. There are very few elite QBs because the term "elite" itself is related to a very small group. Out of 32 starting QBs, you might take 5 of them to create the elite list. But there are more than 5 franchise QBs in my opinion.

The franchise QB is the player good enough to make the team competitive and stabilize the position. He wins games and helps the team get to the playoffs. The franchise will not think about getting another QB to compete for the job, there is stability. The front office will keep building around the QB.

Eli Manning is a franchise QB. His stats are good, he wins a lot of games and already has a Super Bowl. The Giants are competitive with Eli Manning. He stabilized the QB position for the Giants. He is their starting QB since 2004. He's been the guy for a long time.

Among the younger players, Matt Stafford is a franchise QB. The Lions don't want to change their QB. They are in the playoffs with Stafford, and he is one of the reasons why they are competitive. The team is building around Stafford, he is the unquestioned starter. The position is stable. They are not worried about getting a QB that can compete for the job with Stafford.
    Great Post, Rod :thumb:

The "Elite QB" is an interesting discussion for me. After Brees broke the record, I was wondering why there were only about a handful of "Elite QBs" And the more I thought about, the more it hit me. Manning, Brady, Brees, and Rodgers all have consistancy at either there OC or HC position.

Manning/Moore (no longer with Indy)
    Brady/Belichick
    Brees/Payton
    Rodgers/McCarthy

And along with that, they all have a great relationship AND they are a perfect fit for each other. When you look at the QB/Coach relationships they have, it looks like a Father/Son type relationship. And the communiction is awesome between them. To me, this is part of the reason why they are amongst the Elite in the NFL, AND why there as so few.
    Last edited by JayJack; 01-05-2012, 11:12 AM.

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied

I like your assessment. Basically a franchise QB is not necessarily an elite QB. It's the guy you can depend on for the next few years minimum. Eli is absolutely a franchise QB. He leads this team, has won in the most critical of situations and puts up good stats.

For me the question is, if you are not looking to change your QB for the next 2-3 years, then that's your franchise QB. Stafford fits that description based on his performance to date. Dalton needs one more year, but he looks the part. San Fran's Smith also needs another year, but he seems to be solidifying his spot.

So does Romo, Cutler, Flacco, Ryan, and the new gun.....Newton, along with the usual big guns (Rodgers, Brees, Brady, Ben, Rivers). Sanch-ize is debatable to some degree. He too needs another year. But as of now, he is, because he is still expected to be #1 for some time. He has made enough happen in his early years, and deserves every shot to continue.

We don't have one at this point.

In the end, your franchise QB may not be elite, but if you have some elite players around him, it all works. I think Baltimore fits that mode. You can't have elite players at every position, because if you do, you would run out of money!
    Last edited by CanDB; 01-05-2012, 10:25 AM.

Leave a comment:

• getlynched47
    replied

See, I find it very hard to agree with this. This is a great post, but I have a hard time getting into this mindset.

I feel that the phrase "franchise quarterback" is used way too loosely. Matthew Stafford had a great year, but so did Derek Anderson in 2007, Matt Cassel in 2008, Scott Mitchell in 1995, Rob Johnson in 1997, and Elvis Grbac in 2000. Were they all franchise quarterbacks?

--------------------------------------------

For me, I distinguish a franchise quarterback and a player that is the face of the franchise.

In my eyes, Michael Vick is the face of the Eagles franchise. But I do not call him a franchise quarterback. That's just one example.

------------------------------------------------

The phrase "franchise quarterback" is just used too loosely. Point is proven when Jaguars owner Shahid Khan calls Blaine Gabbert, the worst starting QB in 2011, his franchise quarterback. Yuck

Leave a comment:

• WhoDeyBengals
    replied
    There's a pretty good discussion about what makes a franchise quarterback in this thread.

Roddoliver's answer is also excellent.

Leave a comment:

• -Rod-
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Broncoboy6
    replied
    I always ask myself that when someone mentions that we need a "Franchise QB".

What is it exactly, how can you tell if this person or that person is going to be a "Franchise QB" coming out of the collegiate level of football?.

I guess it is 99% speculation (or opinion). In some cases, like Peyton Manning it is sort of obvious though.

I believe that a lot of the credit to having success with any QB's has to do with patience and training that they receive from not only the coaching staff, but the teammates too.

All the other teams that passed on Tom Brady kicked themselves one time or another for passing on him. If only they knew that he was a so called "Franchise QB".

The Chargers let go of one in Drew Brees.

I guess it does all come down to Patience, coaching and building around your so called franchise QB.

In the case of Bradford, i heard someone say that there are rumors that the Rams maybe looking to go after RG3, inwhich IMO would be a big mistake. Bradford has all the tools to make it, i think that they should go after a WR like Blackmon or Jeffery, just like how Stafford has Calvin Johnson.

Josh Freeman is another who we see have a significant decline in play this year. I think that he will be alright though, and think that it's just a minor bump that they will get over next year.

How about the so-called "Franchise QB's" that had big expectations coming into the NFL, to then flop.

Guys like Ryan Leaf, Jamarcus Russell etc... What would you say would be the common denominator?.

Leave a comment:

• Amari24
    replied
    Well, I don't consider Stafford "elite" yet but you can definitely say he's Detriot's franchise QB, barring some catastrophic event.

There are only about 3 or 4 elite QB's in this league. But a franchise QB can really be any one that has full support from their organization, not expendable for someone else, and has a good skill set. Being the face of the franchise also solidifies it.

Those are guys like Dalton, Newton, Schaub, Ryan, Romo (maybe), and Feeman as well as Bradord -- if they can bounce back from tough seasons. I don't really think guys like Flacco and Sanchez are franchise QBs, just decent starters.

Gabbert I called from day one that he's another Chase Daniels. Someone like Jake Locker or Ponder has shown that he's capable of being a franchise QB. Gabbert hasn't.

That's my take.

Leave a comment:

• getlynched47
    started a topic What Is A Franchise Quarterback?

What Is A Franchise Quarterback?

Please help me understand.

My understanding of a franchise quarterback is a consistently elite quarterback. I'm not talking about a quarterback with one good year. I'm talking about a quarterback that is top-5 multiple years in a row.

In my opinion, the only elite quarterbacks in the NFL in 2011 are Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Ben Roethlisberger, and even our arch-enemy Phillip Rivers.

That's it.

But then there are people who "define" a franchise quarterback as a quarterback who represents a franchise (a pretty much literal definition of the phrase). In their eyes, Matthew Stafford, Michael Vick, Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, Cam Newton, Andy Dalton, Mark Sanchez, and Matt Schaub are ALL franchise quarterbacks.

Wait, it gets better:

Owner Shahid Khan called Blaine Gabbert the Jaguars' franchise quarterback Wednesday night, and said the organization plans to use the offseason to ensure Gabbert realizes his potential.
    Hell, even new Jacksonviille Jaguars owner Shahid Khan considers Blaine freakin Gabbert a franchise quarterback. I think he's easily the worst starting QB in the NFL in 2011. If you've seen Gabbert play, you'd agree.

So, help me understand. What's a franchise quarterback? And who are the franchise quarterbacks in the NFL?
Working...
X