Authorities find body of Packers OC Philbin's 21-year-old son

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Authorities find body of Packers OC Philbin's 21-year-old son

Mods, feel free to move this to another forum, but did want to get this out there first.

Prayers go out to the Philbin family. This is such a tragedy.

These boards have always been supportive of the families of players/coaches of other teams during tragic times. I hope it remains that way.

Green Bay Packers employees were informed Monday that the body of offensive coordinator Joe Philbin's 21-year-old son, Michael, was found in a river in Oshkosh, Wis., and identified, NFL Network's Albert Breer reported.

Packers players, who weren't made available to reporters, took to Twitter to post supportive messages for Philbin.

"As children we all have to someday say goodbye to our parents, but a parent should never have to say goodbye to their child," said offensive lineman T.J. Lang, whose father, Thomas, died last week.

Packers defensive lineman B.J. Raji wrote that "life is too short."

"Live in the present," Raji tweeted.

Police in Oshkosh, Wis., had been searching for 21-year-old Michael T. Philbin, the second-oldest of Joe and Diane Philbin's six children, since Sunday night. He disappeared at about 2 a.m. Sunday after an outing with friends in the University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh campus area, about 50 miles from Green Bay.

Joe Philbin spent Monday in Oshkosh, where divers recovered the body of a man between the ages of 20 and 25 from the Fox River in late afternoon after a security guard reported hearing cries for help from someone on the ice. Oshkosh police said no foul play was suspected, but the man's name was being withheld until his family is notified.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with the Philbin family during this difficult time," Packers general manager Ted Thompson said in a statement released by the team.

Packers coach Mike McCarthy addressed the situation during his weekly news conference, saying the team has a "family-first organization." McCarthy also said the team had contingency plans in place if the offensive coordinator couldn't be with the team this week, ahead of Sunday's divisional playoff game against the New York Giants.

Although the offensive-minded McCarthy calls his own plays and has a hands-on role with game planning, Philbin's behind-the-scenes detail work with quarterback Aaron Rodgers and the rest of the offense would be missed.

"We're prepared to do whatever we need to do as a staff to make sure our team's ready to go," McCarthy said, brushing aside a question about what the team would miss if it didn't have Philbin's input this week. "We'll be ready to go."

Philbin has been with the Packers since 2003 and has been the team's offensive coordinator since 2007. He interviewed for the Kansas City Chiefs and Miami Dolphins' head-coaching jobs last week.
    Last edited by spcdlee02; 01-09-2012, 05:19 PM. Reason: added article and highlighted portions

how sad....

Comment

Sigh.. that makes me so sad.

way to young.

Comment

Thoughts and prayers to the family. Terrible news.
        2013 Packers GM - Check my profile for trade block and draft picks.

Comment

Originally posted by spcdlee02 View Post
          Mods, feel free to move this to another forum, but did want to get this out there first.

Prayers go out to the Philbin family. This is such a tragedy.

These boards have always been supportive of the families of players/coaches of other teams during tragic times. I hope it remains that way.

yep, they suspect he fell threw ice into a river. Crappy crappy way to go.
          sigpic

Comment

That's terrible to hear.
            sigpic

Comment

Oh, no... that is so awful. Nobody should have to endure something like this. Thoughts go out to the Philbin family.

Comment

Prayers to the Philbin family and friends. This is a tragedy.
                Lifetime Broncos/Cowboys fan.
                sigpic

Comment

Thoughts/prayers out to him and his family
                  Come On You Blues! GO BRONCOS!

Comment

My best wishes.

Comment

I lost my wife of 29 years to cancer and it was the hardest thing I have ever endured. I can not even imagine what it is like to lose a child. Coach Philbin.. hearts all over the NFL go out to you and your family in this time of loss. No one can know what you are all feeling .... but we do know whatever it is is devastatingly difficult. I hope you family is able to share love and strength in this most difficult and saddest of times.

Comment

That is terrible!!

Heart goes out to him and his family

Comment

This is a condolence thread. Someone lost a loved one.

Please respect that.

Thanks.
                          Administrator

#LupusAwareness

#TackleCancer

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

Terrible thing.
                            Decimating the competition, leaving in the wake a blind ambition.

elecshoc
                            You will be for ever known as the truth see-er

Comment

Originally posted by Peanut View Post
                              This is a condolence thread. Someone lost a loved one.

Please respect that.

Thanks.
                              Did I miss something? I hope someone wasn't trolling in this thread?

I hope not, as I said, we have always been classy and great in times like this.

Thank you to everyone for respecting the thread and remembering who we truely are as Bronco fans. We are the best fans in football. How we support other teams in tragic times proves it.

Comment

Working...
                              X