B-Spikes most physical ILB in NFL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B-Spikes most physical ILB in NFL

NFL Films analyst Greg Cosell calls Patriots ILB Brandon Spikes "arguably the most physical and violent inside linebacker" in the NFL.

The competition wasn't that stiff against the Broncos' afraid-to-throw offense, but the returns of Spikes and SS Patrick Chung have revitalized New England's defense for the playoffs. Spikes recorded six tackles, a sack, and a fumble recovery versus Denver.
    ----------------

Still pissed we passed on Rey Maualuga, Brandon Spikes, & Terrence Cody.

Oh well.

I remember I wanted us to draft him. First round talent in later rounds was what I thought. Oh well.

Comment

Originally posted by fraguela09 View Post
      NFL Films analyst Greg Cosell calls Patriots ILB Brandon Spikes "arguably the most physical and violent inside linebacker" in the NFL.

The competition wasn't that stiff against the Broncos' afraid-to-throw offense, but the returns of Spikes and SS Patrick Chung have revitalized New England's defense for the playoffs. Spikes recorded six tackles, a sack, and a fumble recovery versus Denver.
      ----------------

Still pissed we passed on Rey Maualuga, Brandon Spikes, & Terrence Cody.

Oh well.
      Terrence Cody for sure when we were running that 3-4 especially. We still need that inside presence. Mays pretty much disappeared towards the end of the season.

Comment

I'm a gator fan and I'll tell you this isnt that close. Spikes is a rough neck but not in the lines of Patrick Willis OT Ray Lewis especially Willis I saw that man lay wood on the FB tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Tebow15Time View Post
          I'm a gator fan and I'll tell you this isnt that close. Spikes is a rough neck but not in the lines of Patrick Willis OT Ray Lewis especially Willis I saw that man lay wood on the FB tonight.
          He doesn't have the agility or speed of the others- solid draft pick considering where he was taken though.

Comment

He's nothing compared the elite linebackers in this league, he's not even the best inside backer on his own team.

It's just more patriots love from the media.

Comment

yeah spikes isn't elite

but that int he had in the 4th qtr on flacco was amazing, like he just sensed it coming lol
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jcdavey View Post
                yeah spikes isn't elite

but that int he had in the 4th qtr on flacco was amazing, like he just sensed it coming lol
                Spikes, would likely have been a top ten pick if he had come out after the National Championship win over OU. That gator defense made a huge statement in that game and Spikes was the leader.

In his senior year, his body just got wider and he got slower. When he recorded a 5.0/40 time his stock fell rapidly.....but as i have said before Belichik and Urban Meyer are close and B.B. spent a lot of time with the gators during Spike's senior year. If i recall, the pats took three gators in that draft.....Spikes, Hernandez and Jermaine Cunningham....all have played and started.

As for that INT, that is spikes play....i bet i have seen him make that exact play 5 times in college.....despite being so big and arguable slow....he has a nose for the ball.
                "A 'W' is a 'W' and it doesn't matter how you get it. If you win ugly, it's still a 'W.' Mechanics don't play the game, people do." -Floyd Little

Comment

Wore down a bit in this game. My Pats fan friend started the game singing his praises and saying he was among the top LBs in the game, by the third quarter he was cursing him for a few missed tackles. He left his cleats in Indy after he was juked out of them by Bradshaw!

Comment

It's true that Spikes made a few bad reads, took a few bad angles. All rookie stuff that I think he'll get over. But two things about him really stick out:

1) He seems to have a nose for the ball, whether it's ridiculously athletic interceptions or his ability to force fumble after fumble (I think he forced two, maybe three last night)

2) He gets to the ball carrier in a hurry (and yes, sometimes he over pursues), but he was shooting the gaps so quickly last night...at least until Hynoski started standing him up. But then again, Hynoski looks like he's big enough to play O-line...

My only fear with Spikes coming out for Florida was whether he would be mentally mature enough to play in the NFL. There was that incident with the eye-poking when he was in college and I worried that he would let his immaturity cost the team penalties or get himself suspended. There was that incident with the league substance abuse regulation, but I can't think of anything else since then...

Comment

Working...
                    X