Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peyton Manning

Eagles beat reporter for The Philadelphia Inquirer

I was going to do a should the #Eagles consider Peyton Manning story, but the whispers coming out of Indy are that his career is over.
    Peyton Manning's rehab from neck surgery isn't going well enough to give hope that he'll return, according to two sources.

Sources fearful over Manning’s ability to return

INDIANAPOLIS – For all the discussion over Peyton Manning’s future with the Indianapolis Colts, the underlying issue is that people close to him don’t believe he’ll resume his career.

The nerves in Manning’s arm are not healing as quickly as hoped and, worse, don’t appear to be progressing at enough of a rate to indicate that he will play again, according to two sources with knowledge of Manning’s rehabilitation from neck surgery. The vertebrae in his neck that were fused have healed as expected and Manning began throwing in December. But he hasn’t shown improvement in velocity on his passes, and the two sources fear he likely never will again.

In addition, two league-affiliated doctors with experience in spinal fusion surgery said it could take up to a year before Manning knows if he can return. Both said the risk is too great for Manning to play again and, because of the timeline, neither would recommend the Colts pay Manning the $28 million bonus he is owed in March.

Manning couldn’t be reached for comment.

Colts owner Jim Irsay declined to talk about Manning’s health on Monday before a news conference, but did say, “There are no cases of quarterbacks going through this.”

Irsay may have no choice but to let go of Manning. While some people have tried to paint the situation as Irsay choosing to move on from Manning as he rebuilds the Colts after a 2-14 season, that was not Irsay’s intention months ago. In October, Irsay discussed the optimal situation of having both Manning and his heir apparent on the roster simultaneously.

“Guys like that come along so rarely,” Irsay said on Oct. 10 at an NFL owners meeting in Houston, referring to Manning and perceived No. 1 overall pick Andrew Luck (although Irsay has since indicated that Robert Griffin III could also be the selection). “Even if that means that guy sits for three or four years, you’d certainly think about taking him … you see what Green Bay did with [Brett] Favre and [Aaron] Rodgers and you’d like to be able to do the same thing.”

At this point, that scenario is unlikely and not because Irsay doesn’t want to pay the money for Manning. Rather, Manning has hit a plateau in his rehabilitation in terms of getting stronger, both sources said. While atrophy in the arm was expected, the fact that it hasn’t improved recently is an ominous sign.

“If you’re getting consistent improvement, then that’s OK. Even if it’s going from lifting 10 pounds to 15 pounds to 20 pounds over a stretch of weeks, that’s fine,” said a doctor who has not seen Manning but has a background in spinal surgery. “If you hit a plateau, that’s a problem. … Now, I say that, but I also tell patients who have been through it that it can take up to a year to find out exactly how much strength you’re going to get back.

“Right now, Peyton is at about six months. He should have a much better idea by July or August just how far he’s going to get … even then, that’s only a part of it. You can tell about 80 percent of how the nerves and the muscles are healing by rehab. What you really have to see is how his arm holds up when he starts to throw. Does he have the same velocity on the 15-yard out? Can he throw the 60-yard pass? Can he throw for 30 minutes before his arm gets tired? Can he throw for an hour? It’s a very complicated process.” It’s a process Irsay may not be able to gamble on at this point.

As for Manning’s side of it, he remains confident that he will return to action next season even as the progress remains slow. Last week in an extensive interview with Bob Kravitz of the Indianapolis Star, Manning expressed frustration as to why so many people who he has worked with over the years have been let go by the team, including team president Bill Polian and coach Jim Caldwell. While Manning understands the team needing to move forward, he believes he will be able to play again.

“Any athlete is going to remain confident,” one source said. “He wants to play again. He’s going to do everything he can to get out there.”

Sadly, that may not be enough.
    sigpic

not surprised

i thought it was 50/50 the moment he needed a 2nd neck surgery
    sigpic

Comment

I really hope this isn't the case One of the greatest to ever play the game
      :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic
      Adopted Bronco 2015 CJ Anderson

Comment

Even if he is healthy it wouldnt make sense to keep playing. What does he have to play for? The man has accomplished just about everything a QB can dream of and a player could dream of.

Comment

Would suck if it happens, one of the best ever to lace em up.

Comment

Nooooooooooo. One of the all time greats

Comment

That sucks you never want to see a players career end like this.
              What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
              I don't know and I don't care

Comment

Like Favre speculation... I'm not really going to buy too much into this until something's final.

Comment

I never believed he would ever come back after the 1st rehab didn't go as planned. And even if he does return; his neck will always make him prone to a devastating injury that could ruin him for life. With an injury like that I'm not sure why anyone would want to risk playing for nothing.

I hope I'm wrong, but I think Manning's career is as good as over.
                  Last edited by Amari24; 01-31-2012, 01:22 PM.

Comment

What a horrible way to end Peyton's career. I really hope he can recover and keep playing, but I think it's unlikely that will happen.

Well, at least the Colts won't have an extremely bad season again next year with Luck.
                    sigpic

2014 Pick'Em Challenge Champion
                    Proud Fan of the 3 Time Super Bowl Champion Denver Broncos

Comment

Peyton Manning receives medical clearance.

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports Peyton Manning (neck surgeries) has received medical clearance to resume his NFL career.
                      The timing is a surprise after several sources claiming to be close to Manning told reporters early in the week that his career was in serious jeopardy. Gaining medical clearance doesn't guarantee that Manning will return to pre-injury form, but it's a positive sign that he has received the green light so early in the offseason. This would seem to increase the slim odds of Manning returning to the Colts, though the salary cap still looms as a prohibitive hurdle.

Source: Chris Mortensen on Twitter Feb 2 - 5:19 PM
                      sigpic

Comment

*cough* Peyton to the Broncos? *cough*
                        Eating greedy

Comment

Yes please

Adopted Posters - Broncoholic MS, thatkidhunt, Al Wilson 4 Mayor, Thors Hammer, McSmashie, CanDB, Peanut, BroncoManiac_69, MightyHorse, CHARGER$, Chillez, EddieMac
                          Married Megan Joy on August 18th, 2013
                          Proud Daddy of Jeremiah James born February 24, 2011

Adopt-A-Bronco 2013 - Champ Bailey
                          Yankees, Rockies, Nuggets, Avalanche, CU Buffs
                          I still miss you Jake Plummer!

sigpic

Comment

WOW ! what an incredible turn of events. They even went so far to say , he could play Sunday if he had the opportunity. This has been quite a story, and it's only going to get better! I hope he is able to stay with Indy, but if he went to another team and won another Superbowl, that would also be amazing. I hope he plays well and doesn't reinjure his spine. Good guys deserve to go out on top.

Comment

I love Tebow, but if we could get Peyton, you do it...

Doubt it happens though.

Comment

Working...
                              X