Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mere hours before the Super Bowl and the Patriots...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mere hours before the Super Bowl and the Patriots...

Heartlessly release Tiquan Underwood on the eve of Super Bowl XLVI

Tiquan Underwood, the guy who loved being a Patriot so much that he did that to his hair, was released by the team on Saturday, just hours before the Super Bowl.

It's callous and it's cold-blooded, but that's football, and that's Bill Belichick. I'm sure that Underwood is emotionally devastated, but that's a head coach's job. If he feels like another player might help a little more on Sunday, even if it's just for one play, then it's the coach's job to make that decision. Feelings aren't a part of it.

[ Related: Predictions for how Patriots-Giants will play out in Super Bowl ]

Underwood probably didn't expect this, but he's no stranger to being released, either. It's the third time the Patriots have cut him this season.

What might make it even harder on the guy is that he didn't do anything wrong. And in an impressive four-tweet barrage following his release, Underwood put it all in perspective.

That, friends, is a class act.

According to the Boston Herald, the move has no disciplinary motive behind it. The Patriots simply wanted another defensive lineman on the roster. Alex Silvestro (ironically, like Underwood, a Rutgers product) is the guy who will take his place. He's been on the Patriots practice squad all season.

Belichick recently spoke glowingly of the Rutgers players on the Patriots roster, Underwood, Silvestro, Nate Jones and Devin McCourty.

"I think all four players are very team-oriented, and they come from a great program. I think that program has, under Coach (Greg) Schiano, prepared their players well for the NFL. I think if you look around the NFL, you see a lot of players from Rutgers in the league, not necessarily all of them are high draft choices like (Devin) McCourty, also including other players who were not drafted or lower draft choices. They've made teams, and I think that speaks to the preparation of that program in terms of getting players ready to play in the NFL — how to prepare, how to work, how to train, how to compete, how to play football similar to the way it is played in the NFL. Those four players have done a good job for us. In terms of the program, you can see those types of players on a lot of teams. When they get to the NFL, most of those players end up making it, at least for a while."

In the grand scheme of things, Underwood still has to count himself lucky. He was a part of a Super Bowl team. He experienced everything about Super Bowl week except for the Super Bowl itself. And if the Patriots go on to win, he'll still get a ring, and it will be just as big and shiny as Tom Brady's or Wes Welker's.
    The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

Pretty low class but he'd still get a ring
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Brown View Post
      Heartlessly release Tiquan Underwood on the eve of Super Bowl XLVI

Tiquan Underwood, the guy who loved being a Patriot so much that he did that to his hair, was released by the team on Saturday, just hours before the Super Bowl.

It's callous and it's cold-blooded, but that's football, and that's Bill Belichick. I'm sure that Underwood is emotionally devastated, but that's a head coach's job. If he feels like another player might help a little more on Sunday, even if it's just for one play, then it's the coach's job to make that decision. Feelings aren't a part of it.

[ Related: Predictions for how Patriots-Giants will play out in Super Bowl ]

Underwood probably didn't expect this, but he's no stranger to being released, either. It's the third time the Patriots have cut him this season.

What might make it even harder on the guy is that he didn't do anything wrong. And in an impressive four-tweet barrage following his release, Underwood put it all in perspective.

That, friends, is a class act.

According to the Boston Herald, the move has no disciplinary motive behind it. The Patriots simply wanted another defensive lineman on the roster. Alex Silvestro (ironically, like Underwood, a Rutgers product) is the guy who will take his place. He's been on the Patriots practice squad all season.

Belichick recently spoke glowingly of the Rutgers players on the Patriots roster, Underwood, Silvestro, Nate Jones and Devin McCourty.

"I think all four players are very team-oriented, and they come from a great program. I think that program has, under Coach (Greg) Schiano, prepared their players well for the NFL. I think if you look around the NFL, you see a lot of players from Rutgers in the league, not necessarily all of them are high draft choices like (Devin) McCourty, also including other players who were not drafted or lower draft choices. They've made teams, and I think that speaks to the preparation of that program in terms of getting players ready to play in the NFL — how to prepare, how to work, how to train, how to compete, how to play football similar to the way it is played in the NFL. Those four players have done a good job for us. In terms of the program, you can see those types of players on a lot of teams. When they get to the NFL, most of those players end up making it, at least for a while."

In the grand scheme of things, Underwood still has to count himself lucky. He was a part of a Super Bowl team. He experienced everything about Super Bowl week except for the Super Bowl itself. And if the Patriots go on to win, he'll still get a ring, and it will be just as big and shiny as Tom Brady's or Wes Welker's.
      It's all about money. Players are like goods, to be bought and sold like cattles as needed. Sad but true. Like poster said, Underwood counted himself loyal to the Patriots but the Patriots are not loyal to Underwood.

Comment

Despite being waived late Saturday, ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that Tiquan Underwood is entitled to his full Super Bowl bonus.
        The bonus is $88,000. Underwood would also receive a ring if the Patriots win.
        Per Schefter, Underwood was "unlikely to be active" against the Giants in the first place, so he's not losing much. While some media members have tried to make Bill Belichick look like a bad guy for waiving Underwood the day before the Super Bowl, the reality is Belichick is intent on winning, and the Giants could have claimed Underwood off waivers if the move had been made earlier in the week.

It really sucks how it went down, but hey, atleast he still gets rewarded.
        sigpic

Comment

That's low man

Comment

It's low. the timing of it, and how he handled it kind of make me think that he knew this was going to happen all week.

Comment

Like the article said, at least got to experience the whole SB week and all the hype and whatnot. And if they win he still get's the $$ and the ring, so it's not like he's losing much.

If anything.. he should thank the Pat's for keeping him around to experience all he experienced. It's not like he was going to make it in the NFL at this point. He got to go through what many great players retire with experiencing.
              *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
              *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
              *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Comment

Belichick does this nearly every year in the superbowl, IIRC.
                sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Working...
                X