• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goodell: NFL will consider eliminating the Pro Bowl

Didn't see this posted:

https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!...23924307729672

All I can say is, it's about time!
    sigpic

I think they should still have it, but move it back to after the SB. Make it a touch or flag game and make it a weekend event with a skills challenge.
    *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
    *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
    *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Comment

I really think they should change it to be some sort of skills competition like event every year rather then the game in its traditional form.

Comment

Originally posted by ebsoria View Post
        I think they should still have it, but move it back to after the SB. Make it a touch or flag game and make it a weekend event with a skills challenge.
        you beat me to it.. hahaha

Comment

Originally posted by Remedy View Post
          you beat me to it.. hahaha
          Great minds, right? :thumb:

Comment

I would like to see them do something for our Troops and Wounded Warriors. Something like Flag Football and skills challenge.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ebsoria View Post
              I think they should still have it, but move it back to after the SB.
              I absolutely agree with moving it back to after the SB.

It's too hard to go cold turkey on my football activities when the SB is the final game played. Even if the Pro Bowl is crappy, at least I get a slight cool down before it's all over. It's a kind way to ease me into the offseason. Having the SB end it all is too abrupt.

Comment

The problem with the Pro Bowl (and even a skill set competition) is that the NFL is about physical strength and toughness, and the Pro Bowl is contradictory to that.

That's why the NBA All Star Game works, because the NBA is more about displaying sheer athleticism which is what the All Star Game is about.

I just don't really think there's anything that can be done to put meaning into the Pro Bowl, for either fans or players. And if you can't do that, then it's pointless - just a frivolous game where you risk further injuries to your players. And now you can't even get the players in the Super Bowl to appear because of when it's scheduled.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
                  The problem with the Pro Bowl (and even a skill set competition) is that the NFL is about physical strength and toughness, and the Pro Bowl is contradictory to that.

That's why the NBA All Star Game works, because the NBA is more about displaying sheer athleticism which is what the All Star Game is about.

I just don't really think there's anything that can be done to put meaning into the Pro Bowl, for either fans or players. And if you can't do that, then it's pointless - just a frivolous game where you risk further injuries to your players. And now you can't even get the players in the Super Bowl to appear because of when it's scheduled.
                  I think if you had something like a skills competition. Have the qbs hit moving targets, strength competitions (like at the combine) do a sprint/cone drill. heck of a TD dance competition.

Have all the fans out / do the awards / HoF announcement. it should all be done together after the superbowl in one big weekend in my books.

Comment

Move it back to after the SB. Include skills competitions throughout the weekend. Then, for the game itself, attach a purse to it and make it winner take all.

Say $5-$10 million to be split by players/coaches of winning team.

Comment

I think if you had something like a skills competition. Have the qbs hit moving targets, strength competitions (like at the combine) do a sprint/cone drill. heck of a TD dance competition.

Have all the fans out / do the awards / HoF announcement. it should all be done together after the superbowl in one big weekend in my books.
                      I just don't think that's enough to save it at this point. The players themselves don't really want to play in it anymore. They usually go the first couple of times but after that they sit out because of "injury" or whatever.

As I said, if you can't make it worth while for the players, you can't make it worth while for the fans.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by XXXII&III View Post
                        I absolutely agree with moving it back to after the SB.

It's too hard to go cold turkey on my football activities when the SB is the final game played. Even if the Pro Bowl is crappy, at least I get a slight cool down before it's all over. It's a kind way to ease me into the offseason. Having the SB end it all is too abrupt.

Yep. To me, there's something about the SB winners being able to walk into PB weekend knowing they just won that adds to the whole SB winner experience.

And, we lose some great players from 2 teams for the weekend. Players like Gronk and Cruz, who earned it, deserve the recognition of a great individual season by being able to be there.

Comment

I think football is just an inherently violent, competitive game that is incompatible with an all star game. For most of our lives, it's "our school" playing the other school, "our college" playing the other college. Then the NFL works hard to create that sense of "my team" with the teams city and state and fan base. When those players are out there, they are hitting as hard as they can in a violent scrap.

It just seems kind of hard to turn that on for a one time game, playing with a bunch of guys who are not really on "your" team.

Comment

Skills competition with a game between current stars and former stars.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay3 View Post
                              I think football is just an inherently violent, competitive game that is incompatible with an all star game. For most of our lives, it's "our school" playing the other school, "our college" playing the other college. Then the NFL works hard to create that sense of "my team" with the teams city and state and fan base. When those players are out there, they are hitting as hard as they can in a violent scrap.

It just seems kind of hard to turn that on for a one time game, playing with a bunch of guys who are not really on "your" team.

Ya know, if this was the '60s, I'd agree. Now, not so much. With social media and a lot of the players being friends, methinks it's quite easy for them to turn "my team" off for the weekend.

We see it all the time where players gather and get along and hang out and we hear about them going to dinner and each others parties and whatnot.

Sure, there is some bad blood between a few, but in that kind of enviroment there are enough other players to make that a non-issue.

Comment

Working...
                              X