Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former KC Joe Horn said the Chiefs had a bounty program

http://twitter.com/#!/LeeZurik/statu...34837436026880

Former Kansas City receiver Joe Horn said the Chiefs had a bounty program when he was there and he said every NFL team has a program. I would be shocked if the NFL investigated the Chiefs based on Horn’s comments. He played for the Chiefs from 1996-99.

Seen this some where, what do you guys think about this? He is saying that other teams have done this before.

I dont think they would investigate this because it was so long ago and the players that would have been involved arent on the team anymore and same with the owner and coach are different then it was back when he said this went down.

It makes you think, what other teams have done this? I wonder if the Broncos ever did something like this, i hope they didn't. I hope we are a more classy and professional team than this.

My highschool defensive coordinator is the younger brother of Joe Horn. Just saying

Not shocked one bit by what Horn said.
    Denver Broncos GM
    Originally posted by Mosk
    Joey Bosa ~ Jason Spriggs ~ Darian Thompson ~ Nick Vannett ~ Paul Perkins ~ Dan Vitale

Comment

If we ever had a bounty program im sure romo took first place every time lol.

Comment

I highly doubt every team in the NFL does it...why, because the fact is that if you intentionally try and injure somebody you carry the risk of injuring yourself as well..and also, it will likely hinder you doing your job well

players arent going to get injured just by taking a big hit when they are running w/the ball..its always the way they were hit

so, to injure somebody on purpose, players would do one of two things...either try and go helmet to helmet, or take a shot at the knees..the helmet-helmet thing makes it just as likely for the defender to give himself a concussion...and taking a shot at the knees can easily result in a missed tackle if the runner stays balanced, and a helmet to the knee can often give the defender a concussion as well

lets remember something, Joe Horn is a former Saint,who was just probably speaking in defense of his former team, and knows it carries no risk of an investigation..and guys always back up their former teams/teammates...Brian Urlacher once defended a guy on his team who was involved in a racist jumping of a white person...nuff said

as for the Broncos doing it, well I remember Tom Nalen very obviously taking a cheapshot at the knees of a Charger o-lineman in 2006..but it was pre-snap

the fact is, bounties are for the most part just talk...once your on the field, you have to think about doing your job..and worrying about injuring somebody takes away from that..not to mention its basically a 50/50 shot that the defender would get injured instead or as well

Comment

Wouldn't be surprised if most teams did if not all.

I would like to think most teams don't but probably just a fantasy.

Saints got caught and are being made an example of what happens.

Hopefully if there are other teams that do it, they see what happened to the saints and drop it.
          sigpic

Comment

Lets be honest, can you imagine coaches like Marv Levy, or Mr Summer of Love himself **** Vermeil having bounties? Tony Dungy? Even Lovie Smith. John Fox? None of these guys seem like the smug win at all cost prhyks that Payton and Belichick are.
            sigpic

Comment

This ^^^^ close thread.

Comment

I think the issue of "bounties" is being confused.

For a very long time, almost every NFL team has given out cash bonuses for good performance in a game, like for INTs or sacks or TD catches or fumble recoveries. These are called "non-contract bonus payments"; they are given out solely at coaches' discretion. These payments are designed to reward players for exemplary football performance during games. The league has known about these for a long time, and if they haven't explicitly endorsed the practice, they've never taken action to stop it.

I think when these former players say things like "every team has this program," they're actually talking about these non-contract bonus payments, which as I noted are widespread and have a long history.

What the Saints allegedly did is totally different. Gregg Williams apparently offered his players money if they caused opposing players to leave the game. Incentivizing players to try to injure other players is totally wrong and is very different than rewarding players for making good football plays.

In other words, paying somebody a bonus for getting a key sack is okay, but telling him if he puts a late hit on the QB and knocks him out of the game he'll get a bonus is against the rules and can't be tolerated. The former is giving a bonus for playing the game; the latter is tantamount to cheating.
                Last edited by MileHighInNY; 03-27-2012, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shawinkerpoppin View Post
                  If we ever had a bounty program im sure romo took first place every time lol.
                  Not a chance, Atwater had him beat
                  My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

Originally posted by ursamajor View Post
                    Lets be honest, can you imagine coaches like Marv Levy, or Mr Summer of Love himself **** Vermeil having bounties? Tony Dungy? Even Lovie Smith. John Fox? None of these guys seem like the smug win at all cost prhyks that Payton and Belichick are.
                    yeah I agree...there is still SOME honor left in the game..alot of people love the "whatever it takes to win" mentality, but i'm not a fan of it.

I like desire, and wanting badly to win LEGITIMATELY..THAT is what somebody should have, not the literal meaning of "whatever it takes"..because at a certain point, it doesn't even mean anything to win if it is dishonorable..and for far more than moral reasons...legitimately beating someone when they are strong is the only honorable way

Comment

As Mike Golic and my grandfather said, most teams(including the Broncos) had a form of bounty programs. Any team that still does it, is looking at the Saints and saying "Yep, we wont do it anymore."

It's nothing new, majority of the teams have been doing it for years.
                      sigpic
                      Adopted Broncos:
                      EmmanuelSanders

Comment

The only thing I remember about Joe Horn's playing days was him taking a left jab from Deion Sanders....classic!
                        sigpic
                        Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

not surpised, marty was a bad person IMO

wouldn't be surprised if my chargers had one too

all i ask for is proof.......

then i'm all for throwing the book at anyone proven to have had a bounty program.....
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
                            The only thing I remember about Joe Horn's playing days was him taking a left jab from Deion Sanders....classic!
                            he was a pretty good receiver for the Saints for awhile, and probably identifies more as a former Saint than Chief

that is why he is likely making this up, as he knows it wont be investigated

Comment

Working...
                            X