The Best Backup QBs in the NFL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Best Backup QBs in the NFL

I saw this on nfl.com and thought it was kind of funny 2 former Broncos QB are on the list as best Backups in the NFL! I think the list is solid for the most part and I always thought when Orton was here he would be a great backup lol!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...content_stream

Subtlety isn't a trait that typically describes the Dallas Cowboys, but the team's decision to sign Kyle Orton as its backup quarterback was, quietly, one of the best moves of the offseason.

Like Jon Kitna before him, Orton comes to town with a pedigree as a veteran who will allow the Cowboys to keep their game plan intact if Tony Romo were to go down, as he did in 2010.

"I am excited we have him," owner Jerry Jones said at OTAs last week, according to The Dallas Morning News. "I was excited when we signed him. I think he is very capable of starting in the league. And we know we don't want to think about it, but if you're going to have Romo out there under center, then you have to give yourself the best chance. And I think he does that."

That got us thinking: Who are the top five backup quarterbacks in the NFL?

Think of this list as a ranking of players you'd want to step into the lineup in Week 1 if necessary, as Matt Cassel did so effectively for Tom Brady and the New England Patriots in 2008. Don't traffic in upside here -- Ryan Tannehill's potential in a year or two won't help you in four months. Who would be a good fit right now?

5. T.J. Yates: It was assumed the Houston Texans were toast when Matt Schaub and Matt Leinart went down last season, but Yates stepped in as a rookie and showed serious potential. He led the team to a huge come-from-behind win on the road in Cincinnati in the regular season, then beat the Bengals again in a playoff game. He struggled badly in a loss to the Baltimore Ravens in the divisional round, but he's a promising player who doesn't shrink from the moment.

4. Jake Locker: Tennessee Titans coach Mike Munchak has made it an open QB competition in Tennessee, so Locker might not be eligible for the list much longer. The Titans let Locker transition into the NFL as a rookie last season, and working behind a solid veteran like Matt Hasselback had to help his development. The eighth overall pick in the 2011 NFL Draft showed us a hint of his ability in some late-season work and should be ready for the call when it comes.

3. Tim Tebow: We're sure some of you think Tebow should be No. 1 on this list, while others probably don't think he should be here at all. But like Yates, Tebow proved with the Denver Broncos that the stage won't overwhelm him, as we witnessed in overtime against the Pittsburgh Steelers in January. I dropped him here because the New York Jets -- like the Broncos last season -- would likely have to re-work their game plan significantly if Tebow were to replace Mark Sanchez.

2. Jason Campbell: We all know Campbell got a raw deal last year with the Oakland Raiders. He was playing well and had the Raiders in first place when a collar-bone injury -- and a trade for Carson Palmer -- led to his banishment from the Black Hole. He's landed with the Chicago Bears, who obviously learned their lesson last season about having a capable understudy behind Jay Cutler. Campbell has a big arm, and could form a potent tandem with Brandon Marshall if ever given the chance.

1. Kyle Orton: Some teams in the NFL are lucky to have one legitimate quarterback on their roster. The Cowboys have two. Forget Tebowmania blowing him out of Denver last year; Orton averaged nearly 3,500 yards passing with 20 touchdowns, 11 interceptions and an 85 passer rating in his previous three seasons. He's a huge luxury for coach Jason Garrett; frankly, we're surprised Orton settled on taking a backup job.

Honorable mention: Chad Henne (Jacksonville Jaguars), Shaun Hill (Detroit Lions), David Garrard (Miami Dolphins), Vince Young (Buffalo Bills).
    sigpic

I thought all along that Orton was a very good back-up, as well as a good, sometimes starter. He just never showed that he was a great long term solution as a starting QB.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 80stheman View Post
      I thought all along that Orton was a very good back-up, as well as a good, sometimes starter. He just never showed that he was a great long term solution as a starting QB.
      Exactly he had his moments but when the pressure was on he just couldnt get it done.
      sigpic

Comment

Agree with most of the list.

Garrard and Young as honorable mentions ? lol

Not sure about TJ Yates. He was a rookie last year but I didnt see anything much. Against the Ravens Foster ran all over them and Flacco was shut down, yet Yates kept throwing pick. I know it was a hard game but it was still very poor risks he was taking.

Cassell is a decent back-up...................... oh....wait

Comment

Locker should be starting for the Titans. That dude WILL be good in the NFL.
          sigpic

2014 Pick'Em Challenge Champion
          Proud Fan of the 3 Time Super Bowl Champion Denver Broncos

Comment

I'm not surprised he settled for a backup job

It's Orton...can you say loser?

No offense to him as a man but as a QB he just doesn't cut it...good backup tho so I agree there although I probably wouldn't call him the best backup in the league

Comment

Originally posted by #24 Next Champ View Post

No offense to him as a man but as a QB he just doesn't cut it...good backup tho so I agree there although I probably wouldn't call him the best backup in the league
              I dunno, maybe he gives Dallas the best chance to win

Comment

Josh Freeman

Comment

Chris Redman
                  sigpic

2014 Pick'Em Challenge Champion
                  Proud Fan of the 3 Time Super Bowl Champion Denver Broncos

Comment

Yeah good backup quarterback doesn't translate to good starter, and it looks like teams realized that with Kyle Orton, thus not even offering him a starting opportunity.

sigpic

FA Targets: DT Jason Jones, DT Pat Simms, S Reggie Smith, LB Dan Connor

:cool:

Comment

IMHO Locker WILL start. He's younger and more athletic and played well in his brief stint
                      "Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion." Jimmy Ruffin

Comment

Originally posted by HUMCALC View Post
                        IMHO Locker WILL start. He's younger and more athletic and played well in his brief stint
                        With a full year under his belt he should be the starter. He played very well against us (for a rookie). He'll be fun to watch.

Comment

Jason Campbell #2 behind Cutler.........very underrated signing.

Comment

Originally posted by bears6385 View Post
                            Jason Campbell #2 behind Cutler.........very underrated signing.
                            Maybe he'll win the starting job. Both QB's are in that 15-20 ish ranking

Comment

That's not fair.

Orton started in Chicago multiple seasons and always had a winning record each year.
                              • 2005: 10-5 (.667)
                              • 2007: 2-1 (.667)
                              • 2008: 9-6 (.600)

Orton had a winning record his first year in Denver, 2009: 8-7 (.533)

And he was a winning starter in Kansas City, 2011: 2-1 (.667)

It was only AFTER Tebow was drafted by the Broncos that Orton's record went bad - 2010: 3-10 (.231) and 2011: 1-4 (.200). I blame the devisive-ness in the locker room caused by having a 1st round draft pick sitting behind a winning starter. Orton can be an effective leader, but not when the front office undermines him with a bone-headed move like that.

In the current NFL, Orton would probably start for the Chiefs, Dolphins, Redskins, Bills, Browns, Raiders, Vikings, Bucs, 49ers, and Rams. He could compete for a starting spot on the Ravens, or Jets. If Drew Brees sits out the season, the Saints would be all over KO.

That's NOT a backup QB. Curtis Painter or Tavaris Jackson are backups. Orton is a starting-caliber NFL QB. I can't explain why he settled for a backup slot on the Cowboys other than he was seeking financial security and stability in his personal life now that he has a family to take care of...
                              "That's a crap question."
                              - Kyle Orton

Comment

Working...
                              X