Colt McCoy reportedly put on trading block by Browns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colt McCoy reportedly put on trading block by Browns

The Cleveland Browns reportedly tried to trade quarterback Colt McCoy during the draft. It didn't work, so the team kept him on the roster throughout the offseason.

Tony Grossi of ESPNCleveland.com writes Friday: "When Weeden was drafted, I was told by an NFL source that the Browns didn’t want to 'pile on' McCoy and just release him. They were sensitive to the fact he had gotten such a raw deal already."

Mike Holmgren talked about that "raw deal" on Thursday.

"I think (Colt's) a wonderful young man, and a good football player," Holmgren said. "And if you are asking me to say was it fair last year? He had a tough go and he didn’t get as much help as I thought he was going to get. But heck, that’s football.”

Translation: Thanks for trying. It wasn't enough.

Seneca Wallace can't imagine there being enough room for him and McCoy on the roster. Wallace knows things. Holmgren is likely to look for a way out for McCoy.

"They would like to find McCoy a new team, a new opportunity, to spare him the ignominy of being released. They will not demand much in a trade," Grossi writes.

A conditional late-round pick would probably get it done. We'd be on that happening. The Browns are trying to do McCoy a favor, but it doesn't do the 2012 Browns much of a favor to have this story drag out through August.
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...headline_stack

where do you guys think he goes?

It's hard to say. They won't likely get more than a conditional 6th for him. Some team in need of a backup "might" pull the trigger. Unfortunately, there might not be a trade market unless someone goes down in the preseason.
    sigpic
    Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Their terrible line nearly got McCoy killed, and they didn't even care. No one checking on him after the hit, etc.

As for where he goes?

The Saints just lost Chase Daniel to a broken thumb. Perhaps there? They like short QB's from Texas.
      sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post

Their terrible line nearly got McCoy killed, and they didn't even care. No one checking on him after the hit, etc.

As for where he goes?

The Saints just lost Chase Daniel to a broken thumb. Perhaps there? They like short QB's from Texas.
        Yeah, that was pretty disturbing last year. There's still some archaic attitudes about head injuries. I saw it last week with my son. He gets a concussion, goes to the sideline and tells his coach he's dizzy. His coach then tells him it's just the heat and he proceeds to play 3 more scrimmages with a concussion. I was really pissed.
        sigpic

Comment

he could probably compete in KC!

Comment

I can see him going to the Saint. But i kind of wanna see him go to the Packers. Sit behind Rodgers and get better then someone will probably pay him when he becomes a FA

Comment

Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
              Yeah, that was pretty disturbing last year. There's still some archaic attitudes about head injuries. I saw it last week with my son. He gets a concussion, goes to the sideline and tells his coach he's dizzy. His coach then tells him it's just the heat and he proceeds to play 3 more scrimmages with a concussion. I was really pissed.
              Yeah, its unfortunate that it still happens. If you've played football, you've probably played with a concussion. The, "we don't have anyone else" and "you're okay, you just got the wind knocked out of you" crap needs to stop.
              sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

The bears just Wavied 1 of there back ups, why not snatch him up... I know theres a lot of Comp over there but its worth a shot with his talent
                sigpic

Comment

Yeah, its unfortunate that it still happens. If you've played football, you've probably played with a concussion. The, "we don't have anyone else" and "you're okay, you just got the wind knocked out of you" crap needs to stop.
                  Also, I wanted to say that it really goes both ways, concussion awareness. I was so scared of losing my spot that I rarely told coaches if I didn't feel right or something was wrong. :shrug:
                  sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

I could see him go to the Packers. They lost Flynn in the offseason and they could use a backup for Rodgers.
                    sigpic

2014 Pick'Em Challenge Champion
                    Proud Fan of the 3 Time Super Bowl Champion Denver Broncos

Comment

Also, I wanted to say that it really goes both ways, concussion awareness. I was so scared of losing my spot that I rarely told coaches if I didn't feel right or something was wrong. :shrug:
                      Oh yeah, my son has dealt with those fears this last week. Fortunately, they're just having non mandatory workouts right now. But it has been kind of shocking to see how uneducated his coach was about concussions. In Idaho coaches are required to take a class, but I get the impression they don't get much out of it, other than an "I attended this class card".

It was terrifying for me. That evening he couldn't answer simple questions. He even put his shoes on the wrong feet to go the ER. I sometimes wonder if it might have not been as severe if his coach wouldn't have had him play 3 more scrimmages.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
                        Oh yeah, my son has dealt with those fears this last week. Fortunately, they're just having non mandatory workouts right now. But it has been kind of shocking to see how uneducated his coach was about concussions. In Idaho coaches are required to take a class, but I get the impression they don't get much out of it, other than an "I attended this class card".

It was terrifying for me. That evening he couldn't answer simple questions. He even put his shoes on the wrong feet to go the ER. I sometimes wonder if it might have not been as severe if his coach wouldn't have had him play 3 more scrimmages.
                        Geez, what grade did they end up giving it? He's gonna be okay but that doesn't make it any less scary, especially for the parents.
                        sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Geez, what grade did they end up giving it? He's gonna be okay but that doesn't make it any less scary, especially for the parents.
                          His CAT scan was negative. I believe if they don't see bleeding on the brain or bruising on the brain a concussion is graded as mild.

Yeah dude, it was scary and I was really mad. He told me he took another big hit in his last scrimmage.
                          sigpic

Comment

We can give them a FB and Caleb Hanie for Colt McCoy. Ready, GO!
                            sigpic

Comment

I have never been a McCoy fan. His arm is poor and he is a back-up.

Saying that, he might be a pretty decent back-up.

I wouldn't be too mad if we dropped a 6th / 7th for him, back-ups are important.

Comment

Working...
                              X