Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else siding with the Saints' players?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else siding with the Saints' players?

So far, I'm inclined to say that the punishment for the players was too harsh. All the evidence has been about pay for play - not much to prove that there were bounties on specific players and not much to indicate why these specific players were chosen for punishment. Most of what I've seen has continued to justify the punishment against Greg Williams, but I think these players have a point. Too bad they agreed to let Goddell continue to hear appeals in the collective bargaining agreement.

They were told to stop doing something, and they continued to do it.

I don't buy the "the coaches made them do it" because as you've seen when it comes to money, they have no issue going against the will of the coaches.

They were told to stop, they didn't, they got punished.
    sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

It doesn't matter how serious the crime was, the league HAS to come down hard on the Saints, from top to bottom.

There is a large class action suit against the NFL by former players. These kind of lawsuits have the potential it cripple the NFL as we know it. If the league does not respond harshly to such actions, they are opening themselves up to even larger lawsuits in the future.

This isn't just about a dirty team. This is about the NFL covering their you know what.

Comment

Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
        They were told to stop doing something, and they continued to do it.

I don't buy the "the coaches made them do it" because as you've seen when it comes to money, they have no issue going against the will of the coaches.

They were told to stop, they didn't, they got punished.
        Do we know that the players got the word that the league said to stop it? Or was that just ignored on the coaching level?

I say 2-3 games for the players would have been sufficient. Season long too long without seeing more specifically against Vilma that he intentionally hurt someone. I haven't seen anything to suggest that anyone intentionally hurt someone.

Comment

Originally posted by Peyton&Eli_fan View Post
          Do we know that the players got the word that the league said to stop it? Or was that just ignored on the coaching level?

I say 2-3 games for the players would have been sufficient. Season long too long without seeing more specifically against Vilma that he intentionally hurt someone. I haven't seen anything to suggest that anyone intentionally hurt someone.
          The league says they have proof. They told Vilma to come see them and they'd show him the proof and he declined. What's the last we've heard of his "lawsuit"? I'll bet you a CP it's in the process of being dropped.

Yes, the league does have proof that the league told them to stop. Twice. It was all over NFLN and ESPN when it first came out. As for it just "being ignored at the coaching level", that's bs and a cop out.

That's the reason the punishments were so harsh, especially on Payton. If you thought that it was the first time they got caught doing this and were asked to stop, then I could see how you think the penalties were too harsh.

PA is completely right too. The league is in total CYA mode. When this suit goes to court from the former players the NFL will be able to stand up and say that when they (the Saints)disobeyed after their two chances, they acted accordingly and came down hard.

This isn't the NBA. Everything that happens is under a microscope. The league isn't going to unjustly suspend players and coaches for an extended period of time without proof.
          sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Punishment isn't harsh enough.
            The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

Comment

I agree with the punishment towards Williams and Payton. But, the league released a bunch of "proof" yesterday that was shared with the players in their appeals hearing and all I'm seeing is more proof against Williams.

Getting paid for good play is illegal, but it's not the same as targeting a player in a bounty and I haven't seen anything to indicate that the players purposely injured other players.

Comment

Peter King ‏@SI_PeterKing

Saints info 3: It's abundantly clear there was a mountain of evidence for pay-for-performance, far less (but some) for bounty system ...
                Expand

Retweet
                Favorite

Peter King ‏@SI_PeterKing

... Public will be judge if penalties fit the crime. From what I saw, some sanctions altogether justified. These sanctions seemed excessive.
                Expand

Retweet
                Favorite

Comment

I have ripped Goodell before but this deserved a harsh punishment.

They did something they knew was wrong, then lied about it, they can't have too many complaints.

The league also has to set an example.

Schefter -

NFL took 12 reporters into league office to present over one hour as to why Saints were suspended. Evidence compelling - and on SportsCenter

NFL showed slides from Saints computers on 1/7/11,saying: "Now's the time to do our jobs, collect bounty $. No apologies. Let's go hunting."

Williams told investigators he was "rolling the dice with player safety and someone could have been maimed."

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Brown View Post
                    Punishment isn't harsh enough.
                    i agree completely. basically with what everyone has said so far about the punishments being just. you can bet the guys they targeted specifically (and succeeded in injuring) will end up suing the league later on when their injuries start plaguing them.

the NFL is doing the right thing here by showing they weren't enabling the team in the matter. if they'd done nothing than the existing suits would have a lot more weight to them. now that they've shown they won't tolerate player injury and are actively taking steps to prevent them, they can have some sort of leverage.
                    sigpic

DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Comment

I think the punishments are spot on.

I argued they were not too lenient, but I don't think they should of been punished any more.

Vilma and Payton are out all year. I don't think you give them life bans, thats way too extreme.

Gregg Williams probably won't get hired anywhere again.

The fines were as big as they could of been and loss of earnings too.

Comment

Did anybody hear what Scott Fujita said? Never heard a more guilty athlete(outside Vilma, Kobe, Vick, Bonds, Clemens, and OJ).

The way he was talking sounded like he was repeating something he read. At one point he couldn't remember one of the lines, so he repeated his self.
                        sigpic
                        Adopted Broncos:
                        EmmanuelSanders

Comment

I guess I'm alone so far. I completely support the coaches' punishments. Just haven't seen enough to indicate why these specific players were chosen for punishment and why Vilma got a full year.

Comment

Originally posted by Peyton&Eli_fan View Post
                            I guess I'm alone so far. I completely support the coaches' punishments. Just haven't seen enough to indicate why these specific players were chosen for punishment and why Vilma got a full year.
                            Read this whole thing. Tons of evidence there was money pots and targeting.

Link

One piece of evidence showed that Saints players had pledged $35,000 to anyone who could knock Minnesota Vikings quarterback Brett Favre out of the 2009 NFC Championship Game. Vilma, according to the document, pledged $10,000. Hargrove, on a subtitled video, is seen winking, then telling teammate Bobby McCray to give him his money after Vitt told players it appeared Favre had broken his leg and wouldn't return.

Was the money ever paid or collected? The league did not have solid answers on that, but representatives did say it has credible testimony that money was collected and held in a safe in Williams' office, then paid out to players weekly if they did what was required to earn it.

There also was a slide of a motivational post shown to players before a 2010 playoff game with the Seattle Seahawks. Photos of quarterback Matt Hasselbeck, wide receiver Mike Williams, running back Marshawn Lynch, and someone in a sniper scope's crosshairs were included, as were motivational messages. There was a picture of reality show celebrity Duane Chapman, otherwise known as "Dog The Bounty Hunter," and the message read, "Time to do our job ... collect bounty$$$."
                            Last edited by BroncoFanNC; 06-19-2012, 12:40 PM.
                            sigpic

Comment

I have no doubts that they were getting payments. Lots of evidence for pay for play. Lots of evidence that Greg Williams deserves a ban from the game.

Just not convinced that these specific players went out and attempted to injure other players.

Comment

Working...
                              X