Cutler: Armed And Dangerous.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutler: Armed And Dangerous.

The talk in Chicago this offseason has been about all the talent the new GM Phil Emery has brought in, but Jay Cutler remains the linchpin of this offense. Under Cutler in 2011 the Bears were rolling with a 7-3 record before his injury. With Cutler in the first 10 games the Bears were scoring 26.8 ppg and 30+ ppg over his last 5, without Cutler it was 13.8 ppg. Before that injury Cutler was playing some of the best ball of his career, in fact playing better than he ever had in his 3 years in Chicago. Cutler is managing the game better than he did earlier in his career. He's not making as many dumb mistakes, and doesn't force the ball as much, which has cut down his turnovers dramatically. Jay is a rare talent with a great combination of arm strength and mobility who is in the prime of his career. The Bears are a playoff team with Cutler on the field.

If the OL protects him, they could WIN IT ALL!
    "Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion." Jimmy Ruffin

Comment

can't really argue with that but you have to also consider his mental fortitude, which is not great IMO

maybe he has matured but really, that has been the only thing holding him back. even last year with the infamous comments on the field twords mike marts, his immaturity has still shown.

not that its a huge deal, he can still be good, but his attitude and immaturity has not helped him and i cant help but wonder if things don't get to him mentally during games.

Comment

Cutler took a non-dominant WR core and the rest of the Bears team to the NFC Championship game, and lost. They went 7-3 with him starting until he got injured. We all saw how good he was in 2008 with Marshall. 4,500 passing yards isn't easy to do. We didn't get Orton, 2 1sts, and a 3rd for nothing. Cutler IS a good QB. At very worst, he's their best since McMahon.

Johnny Knox, Devin Hester, and Earl Bennett are not their top WR's anymore. They're now backups behind Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffery. Not only did the Bears improve at WR talent wise, but height-wise as well. I've compared Jeffery to Marshall for quite a while now. Pretty scary having 2 Brandon Marshalls on your team. Especially if one's the actual Marshall.

I also like their addition of Campbell, but that's another story.

I could easily see the Bears going back to the playoffs.
        sigpic

2014 Pick'Em Challenge Champion
        Proud Fan of the 3 Time Super Bowl Champion Denver Broncos

Comment

Originally posted by baphamet View Post
          can't really argue with that but you have to also consider his mental fortitude, which is not great IMO

maybe he has matured but really, that has been the only thing holding him back. even last year with the infamous comments on the field twords mike marts, his immaturity has still shown.

not that its a huge deal, he can still be good, but his attitude and immaturity has not helped him and i cant help but wonder if things don't get to him mentally during games.
          At the time of his injury Cutler was playing at an elite level. From 2009 until his injury in 2011 has matured quite a bit taking a full on leadership role last year after Kreutz was not brought back. This is Cutler's team.

Comment

He is publicly complainly about his OL. Make of it what you will/want
            "Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion." Jimmy Ruffin

Comment

I think they'll make the PO's, how far they go, who knows.

Certainly no excuses now since he has a ton of weapons.

OL still remains a question, but it's better.

Comment

Cutler has a lot to prove. His peers still aren't impressed, missing the Top 100 list once again. You'd think his stock would be on the rise with the other players by now.

Does it matter? NO....just a poll.

What's it tell me? Jay's not well liked, or even worse, not respected as a QB. 13 others got on that list.

This may be his year. If we look ahead to the 2013 Top 100....if he's not on it, something not so good went down. No excuses, this has to be his year.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                  Cutler has a lot to prove. His peers still aren't impressed, missing the Top 100 list once again. You'd think his stock would be on the rise with the other players by now.

Does it matter? NO....just a poll.

What's it tell me? Jay's not well liked, or even worse, not respected as a QB. 13 others got on that list.

This may be his year. If we look ahead to the 2013 Top 100....if he's not on it, something not so good went down. No excuses, this has to be his year.

Yeah.. that surprises me that he didn't make the top 100. I'd put him in the top 100 in a heartbeat because mefeels he is a good QB. But as always, you're right in that he does not appear to be well liked at all. And I'm sure that means a lot too.
                  *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
                  *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
                  *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Comment

Originally posted by ebsoria View Post
                    Yeah.. that surprises me that he didn't make the top 100. I'd put him in the top 100 in a heartbeat because mefeels he is a good QB. But as always, you're right in that he does not appear to be well liked at all. And I'm sure that means a lot too.
                    I HATE TO GIVE HIM ANY CREDIT AT ALL, but he did get hurt. If he'd finished the season, I'm sure he would have been in the top 30

Comment

Originally posted by HUMCALC View Post
                      I HATE TO GIVE HIM ANY CREDIT AT ALL, but he did get hurt. If he'd finished the season, I'm sure he would have been in the top 30
                      I know your pain. There is still some bitterness in me too.
                      *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
                      *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
                      *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Comment

Not like me. His face is on my punching bag. I've often refered to him as my personal Anti-Christ, but I've softened a tad

Comment

Originally posted by baphamet View Post

Maturity and mental fortitude has never been an issue with Cutler, media-savvy has. The guy withstood some serious hits, both at Vanderbilt and in Chicago. The only brief respite he had was in 2008 (our line was pretty bad though not Chicago-bad, in 2007, leading to 4 new starters in 2008). Someone without mental fortitude would have collapsed a long-time ago, even without having to deal with type-1 diabetes.

Cutler has one big problem on the field and that's being too aggressive with the football. He has one big problem off the field in that he has this uncanny dislike of the media. He will never win the "good guy" award from the media like Rodgers and Brees have because he doesn't suck up to them like they do, but he could learn from Tebow that being a good guy and being diplomatic with the media do not have to be mutually exclusive.
                          Hoping for a defensive-minded head coach and a return to the ZBS on offense. At the very least, no more cheaters for head coach.

Comment

Originally posted by ebsoria View Post
                            I think top 30 would be too high for him, but he's definitely among the top 100 players in the league and very likely among the top 10 (EDIT:- top 10 among QBs). He's lapped Rivers and Vick in the last couple of years and the only guy I'd put ahead of him outside of the six guys to have won a Super Bowl is Romo (another guy that gets way more negative press than he deserves), but that's a maybe.

But the "player-voted" NFL rankings have been a joke right from the time they started with John Kuhn and Tim Tebow in the top 100 and placed the best left tackle in the league outside of the top 50, let alone Ryan Clady's omission from the list or the ranking of Champ one spot behind Vonta Leach.
                            Last edited by AC1; 06-25-2012, 09:01 AM.
                            Hoping for a defensive-minded head coach and a return to the ZBS on offense. At the very least, no more cheaters for head coach.

Comment

Originally posted by AC1 View Post
                              I think top 30 would be too high for him, but he's definitely among the top 100 players in the league and very likely among the top 10. He's lapped Rivers and Vick in the last couple of years and the only guy I'd put ahead of him outside of the six guys to have won a Super Bowl is Romo (another guy that gets way more negative press than he deserves), but that's a maybe.

But the "player-voted" NFL rankings have been a joke right from the time they started with John Kuhn and Tim Tebow in the top 100 and placed the best left tackle in the league outside of the top 50, let alone Ryan Clady's omission from the list or the ranking of Champ one spot behind Vonta Leach.
                              Cmon AC......top 10?????? Based on what?????

You say the players don't know how to vote, and yet you come out with an even sillier estimtion of his value. Based on what????

As for the players.....it is not a perfect way to assess the top 100, but it still means something. They re choosing folks based on what they perceive them to be. Even if flawed, they still seem to get most of the right players, and often where they should be. But to leave out your guy Jay two years in a row tells me a lot. They just don't like him or his talent, or both.

And considering where he was just before he left us, he really hasn't progressed that much.

I will admit, this could be his year......no excuses. He has enough weapons and his oline must be decent. Regardless, no more excuses. Just do it Jay!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X