Cutler: Armed And Dangerous.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
    Cutler has a lot to prove. His peers still aren't impressed, missing the Top 100 list once again. You'd think his stock would be on the rise with the other players by now.

Does it matter? NO....just a poll.

What's it tell me? Jay's not well liked, or even worse, not respected as a QB. 13 others got on that list.

This may be his year. If we look ahead to the 2013 Top 100....if he's not on it, something not so good went down. No excuses, this has to be his year.
    I don't know that he has a lot to prove. He's playing extremely well right now and has for his entire career, save the aberration of the 2009 season (and even that wasn't bad if you take away the interceptions). As we saw with Eli Manning, the same QB gets a lot more recognition if his team does something special (like win the Super Bowl as the Giants did). Eli deserved to be on the list last year (especially over someone like McNabb) and he went about his business and the rest took care of itself.

That is the key to Cutler too (as well as those that were left off the list like Schaub or under-ranked like Romo or again, Eli Manning). Just go about being the QB you are, continue to lead and play your tough, no-nonsense brand of football, and let the rest take care of itself. After the ridiculous nonsense we saw following the 2010 NFC Championship Game, I wouldn't blame Cutler if he didn't give a rat's ass about what the players outside of his team think of him.

Chicago is going in the right direction. With their defense and a franchise QB, they will always have a shot at the playoffs and once they get there and the talent gap between teams closes, Cutler is clutch enough (he plays well on 3rd down and has a great record in close games) for them to win a few playoff games. If they go all the way or even get close to the finish a few times, Cutler will be in that top 100 list (even if he keeps playing exactly the way he has the last two years).

He doesn't have anything to prove. He's already playing extremely well. He just needs to keep improving, like every other player in the league.
    Hoping for a defensive-minded head coach and a return to the ZBS on offense. At the very least, no more cheaters for head coach.

Comment

Cmon AC......top 10?????? Based on what?????

You say the players don't know how to vote, and yet you come out with an even sillier estimtion of his value. Based on what????

As for the players.....it is not a perfect way to assess the top 100, but it still means something. They re choosing folks based on what they perceive them to be. Even if flawed, they still seem to get most of the right players, and often where they should be. But to leave out your guy Jay two years in a row tells me a lot. They just don't like him or his talent, or both.

And considering where he was just before he left us, he really hasn't progressed that much.

I will admit, this could be his year......no excuses. He has enough weapons and his oline must be decent. Regardless, no more excuses. Just do it Jay!!!
      That was a typo - I meant top-10 among QBs. I had already pointed out that top 30 would be too high for him. If Eli Manning and Rothlisberger are out of the top 30, he's not proved as much as either of them.

As for the list being flawed, it's worse than flawed. It's downright ridiculous! Leaving Cutler out of the top 100 isn't as bad (though ranking him, Schaub and Ryan out of the top 13 is quite stupid) as much as the entire devaluation of the offensive line. I'm not just talking about specifics like leaving Clady out of the top 100 (ranking him lower than John Kuhn and Tim Tebow!), ranking Joe Thomas below Joe Flacco and Carlos Rogers. Offensive linemen make up about 25% of a starting unit (20% if you consider the kicker, punter and long-snapper too). There are 10 offensive linemen in the top 100. Meanwhile, the QB plays one position and there are 13 of them in the top 100.

I've heard this game played by a few sport-radio hosts, asking callers to name as many starting guards as they know or to give callers a set of names and ask them to identify the NFL starting guards among them. It's ridiculous how anonymous they are among fans. But things seem to be no different with NFL players. There are three guards on the list - Jahri Evans, Carl Nicks, and Logan Mankins. The first two are famous for being the last two players to get the largest contracts for their position and the third is the most famous holdout among starting guards.

The players seem to just be like the fans, and in a way I don't know if you can really blame them. If you're asking Darelle Revis to rank the WRs he's faced, you're likely to get an excellent list. But if you ask him to rank centers, his opinion is going to depend upon how many times he has discussed this topic with his D-linemen.

And considering where he was just before he left us, he really hasn't progressed that much.

I will admit, this could be his year......no excuses. He has enough weapons and his oline must be decent. Regardless, no more excuses. Just do it Jay!!!
      I agree with the first part of this quoted text to some extent. 2008 is still his best season. But that was a ridiculously good season. He carried that team that year. Only Manning and maybe Warner and Brees played better that year. Then again, most QBs have their best year under Shanahan. Manning could have gone to Washington and he still would likely have had his best year there (after all he's accomplished). Still Chicago did the smart thing by hiring a coach in Bates who got Cutler playing at an elite level. If they're smart, they'll let him run the passing game and let him run it for a few years, so the changing of offensive schemes for Cutler can finally stop.
      Last edited by AC1; 06-25-2012, 09:29 AM.
      Hoping for a defensive-minded head coach and a return to the ZBS on offense. At the very least, no more cheaters for head coach.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoFanBoy View Post

I could easily see the Bears going back to the playoffs.
        I can't

I'm not saying Cutler isn't improving. Heck, even he plays the best ball of his career this season, his team still has to beat out the Packers, Detroit Lions, and MINN (I got CHI landing in 3rd in that division)

This is one tough division. MINN has taken serious steps backwards the last couple years since going to the playoffs themselves so who knows what they can do this year. They are a big question mark - not a guaranteed bad team.

If Cutler can somehow have a winning record vs his division this season, they have a shot at the playoffs. Otherwise it's just too crowded in the NFCN. Can't wait to see how that all shakes out.

I have to be honest though: although part of me wants to see Marshall and Cutler do well, I also don't want them to be world beaters. It's only natural right
        The beatings will continue until morale improves....

Comment

Originally posted by dizzolve View Post
          I can't

I'm not saying Cutler isn't improving. Heck, even he plays the best ball of his career this season, his team still has to beat out the Packers, Detroit Lions, and MINN (I got CHI landing in 3rd in that division)

This is one tough division. MINN has taken serious steps backwards the last couple years since going to the playoffs themselves so who knows what they can do this year. They are a big question mark - not a guaranteed bad team.

If Cutler can somehow have a winning record vs his division this season, they have a shot at the playoffs. Otherwise it's just too crowded in the NFCN. Can't wait to see how that all shakes out.

I have to be honest though: although part of me wants to see Marshall and Cutler do well, I also don't want them to be world beaters. It's only natural right
          It is indeed a very tough division. I'll go so far as to say that GB, Chicago and Detroit could end up with the three best records in the conference and any of them could be 1-3.

Detroit and Green Bay are similar - high-octane passing attacks with defenses that give up yards but get turnovers (GB was 1st and Detroit was 5th in interceptions last year) that like to play shootouts. While Chicago's defense is just as bad in the passing game (and nearly as good at intercepting the ball), it stops the run better. IMO they will also focus on running the ball rather than get into aerial shootouts (something that doesn't suit a speed-based, bend-don't-break defense nor a bend-and-break OL) and let Cutler take over on third-and-long and in the fourth quarter if the game is close. It's going to be an interesting division to watch.

On a tangential note, it seems this season that nearly every division is well-balanced. With the exception of the AFC East and the AFC South (and maybe the NFC West, though I think the 49ers come back to earth a bit), it's hard to predict a clear-cut winner for any division. For 3 of the remaining 5 divisions (NFC South, AFC West and NFC East), the winner could be any of the four teams. For another two (NFC North and AFC North), the winner could be any of three teams.

Should be a great season to watch (even for those other teams that don't have the best QB in the league on their team )

Comment

Originally posted by AC1 View Post
            That was a typo - I meant top-10 among QBs. I had already pointed out that top 30 would be too high for him. If Eli Manning and Rothlisberger are out of the top 30, he's not proved as much as either of them.

As for the list being flawed, it's worse than flawed. It's downright ridiculous! Leaving Cutler out of the top 100 isn't as bad (though ranking him, Schaub and Ryan out of the top 13 is quite stupid) as much as the entire devaluation of the offensive line. I'm not just talking about specifics like leaving Clady out of the top 100 (ranking him lower than John Kuhn and Tim Tebow!), ranking Joe Thomas below Joe Flacco and Carlos Rogers. Offensive linemen make up about 25% of a starting unit (20% if you consider the kicker, punter and long-snapper too). There are 10 offensive linemen in the top 100. Meanwhile, the QB plays one position and there are 13 of them in the top 100.

I've heard this game played by a few sport-radio hosts, asking callers to name as many starting guards as they know or to give callers a set of names and ask them to identify the NFL starting guards among them. It's ridiculous how anonymous they are among fans. But things seem to be no different with NFL players. There are three guards on the list - Jahri Evans, Carl Nicks, and Logan Mankins. The first two are famous for being the last two players to get the largest contracts for their position and the third is the most famous holdout among starting guards.

The players seem to just be like the fans, and in a way I don't know if you can really blame them. If you're asking Darelle Revis to rank the WRs he's faced, you're likely to get an excellent list. But if you ask him to rank centers, his opinion is going to depend upon how many times he has discussed this topic with his D-linemen.

I agree with the first part of this quoted text to some extent. 2008 is still his best season. But that was a ridiculously good season. He carried that team that year. Only Manning and maybe Warner and Brees played better that year. Then again, most QBs have their best year under Shanahan. Manning could have gone to Washington and he still would likely have had his best year there (after all he's accomplished). Still Chicago did the smart thing by hiring a coach in Bates who got Cutler playing at an elite level. If they're smart, they'll let him run the passing game and let him run it for a few years, so the changing of offensive schemes for Cutler can finally stop.
            Thx for clarifying the typo.....dang, had I known that I probably wouldn't have replied at all. Sure, he should be a top 10 QB this year. No question.

And yes, there are flaws with the voting. BUT, you'd think lots of the players would know him enough to give him some love. I think it's a bit of a "dislike" scenario in that regard. I'll even go one step further, given all the grief I give you about Jay.......if this is a forecast on 2012 performance, I'd have Cutler in the top 100. Not sure where exactly, but definitely top 100!

Comment

Thx for clarifying the typo.....dang, had I known that I probably wouldn't have replied at all. Sure, he should be a top 10 QB this year. No question.

And yes, there are flaws with the voting. BUT, you'd think lots of the players would know him enough to give him some love. I think it's a bit of a "dislike" scenario in that regard. I'll even go one step further, given all the grief I give you about Jay.......if this is a forecast on 2012 performance, I'd have Cutler in the top 100. Not sure where exactly, but definitely top 100!
              There's definitely a strong "dislike" factor there. We saw it after the 2010 NFC Championship Game. No way does a Rodgers or a Brees be criticized similarly for the exact same sequence of events.

Comment

I can't

I Can.

1) Yep this is a tough division, but the Bears have improved more than any team in the NFCN. The Additions of McClellin, Hayes, and perhaps Paea, and Hardin on defense, Marshall, Bush, Jeffery, plus getting Carimi back is almost like getting a second first rounder since he was only able to play 6 quarters of football last season. Even the special teams have been upgraded with Weems, Costanzo and Thomas. Bears can win this division if Cutler and the offense can raise their level of play to that of the defense and special teams.

2) In 2010 with a whole lot less talent than on this current team Cutler and the Bears were 5-1 in the NFCN. A 5-1 or 4-2 record in this division is not out of the question for this team in 2012. Last year before Cutler was injured the Bears were one of the hottest teams in the league, and were on their way to the playoffs.

3) The way I see this division, Bears........contenders, Packers.........contenders, Lions.........pretenders, Vikings.......losers.

Comment

IMHO CHI has a great chance to WIN IT ALL! Which would kill me
                  "Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion." Jimmy Ruffin

Comment

Originally posted by HUMCALC View Post
                    He is publicly complainly about his OL. Make of it what you will/want
                    I don't know if saying the Bears need to determine just who their top 5 OLinemen are and get them together as soon as they can is calling out your line. Garza and Carimi are the only locks right now.

Comment

Originally posted by bears6385 View Post
                      I don't know if saying the Bears need to determine just who their top 5 OLinemen are and get them together as soon as they can is calling out your line. Garza and Carimi are the only locks right now.
                      I just read on the NFL Network that he was complaining about the OL. I didn't actually hear what he said
                      "Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion." Jimmy Ruffin

Comment

Last year before Cutler was injured the Bears were one of the hottest teams in the league, and were on their way to the playoffs.

3) The way I see this division, Bears........contenders, Packers.........contenders, Lions.........pretenders, Vikings.......losers.
                        I remember we used to say something along those lines a lot when Cutler was here, too. Not saying you're wrong - just making an observation.

Detroit pretenders? I don't know about that. Granted they have some social issues but their football talent is better than the Bears. Things like getting arrested could easily impact their progress.

You should hope Marshall doesn't go and find the law in CHI himself. I hope he doesn't go out like that.
                        The beatings will continue until morale improves....

Comment

I remember we used to say something along those lines a lot when Cutler was here, too. Not saying you're wrong - just making an observation.

Detroit pretenders? I don't know about that. Granted they have some social issues but their football talent is better than the Bears. Things like getting arrested could easily impact their progress.

You should hope Marshall doesn't go and find the law in CHI himself. I hope he doesn't go out like that.
                          DET doesn't have the D or the running game that CHI has

Comment

Originally posted by HUMCALC View Post
                            DET doesn't have the D or the running game that CHI has
                            Yep.........and the Lions also don't have as good of special teams, where the Bears win a game or two every season.

One of the reasons I call the Lions pretenders is quite simple, they went 10-6 last season and never beat a team with a winning record.

Comment

Yep.........and the Lions also don't have as good of special teams, where the Bears win a game or two every season.

One of the reasons I call the Lions pretenders is quite simple, they went 10-6 last season and never beat a team with a winning record.
                              The Lions did overachieve last year and teams have had an entire offseason to figure out how to take Calvin Johnson out of the game. Those two things and their lack of maturity in general makes me think they'll take a step back record-wise. However, the thing about them is they have talent at the most key positions - QB, WR, DL (CBs used to be higher than WRs, but the new rules seem to have de-emphasized them) and once you have that, you always have a shot at the playoffs.

I agree with you on Chicago and Green Bay, but I'd call the Lions contenders too. They may not make the playoffs, but if they don't, they won't miss by much. That's a contender IMO.

Comment

Think it's too soon for them to win the superbowl. I'll be surprised if they don't make the playoffs, despite the fact that the NFC North is one hell of a difficult division to predict.
                                Come On You Blues! GO BRONCOS!

Comment

Working...
                                X