Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Snow games in Cleveland? Not anymore says Haslam

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Snow games in Cleveland? Not anymore says Haslam

    CLEVELAND, Ohio — Incoming Browns owner Jimmy Haslam told Cleveland City Council members Wednesday he would consider a dome for Browns Stadium, but he stopped short of endorsing the idea.

    Haslam addressed the issue briefly in response to a question from Councilman Michael Polensek, who urged dome talks between the city and the Browns in order to get more use out of the city-owned stadium.

    Haslam, accompanied by Browns general counsel Fred Nance, said he will bring in architects to offer ideas for the stadium. He agreed the city should get more use out of the facility, but did not address who would pay for any upgrades.

    "Anything that helps us do that. . . we're certainly going to take a look at it," he said.

    Haslam's response today mirrored what he told The Plain Dealer in an exclusive interview in August. He said then, "We have spent some time at the stadium. We'll have three really well-known stadium architects walk through. I do think there's some enhancements for the fans that need to be done. What, I don't know."

    The Browns have a 30-year stadium lease that requires the city to put $850,000 a year into repairs. That money comes from a countywide tax on alcohol and tobacco sales. But the so-called sin tax expires in 2015.

    Earlier this year, contractors did more than $5 million in stadium repairs, including the refurbishing of seats and replacing, repairing and waterproofing concrete. Browns officials said weather had taken its toll on the facility, which opened in 1999.

    The city paid for the work. By doing so, the city will not have to make its annual contributions for six years, starting in 2013.

    Haslam, whose family owns Pilot Flying J travel centers, bought the Browns in August for about $1 billion, and is awaiting NFL approval as majority owner.

    Council's meet-and-greet with Haslam was largely a light-hearted affair.

    Haslam spoke of being overwhelmed by the city's intense passion for the Browns, and council members reflected that by engaging in football talk more than business.

    With Haslam seated at the head of a conference table, council members brought up the 1964 Browns championship, the draft, the rival Steelers and a dissection of Red Right 88, the ill-fated passing play that sunk the Browns playoff run in 1981.

    Regarding fanaticism over the team, the former minority owner of the Pittsburgh Steelers said, "I felt pressure to win before, but after having been here I really feel pressure now."
    Haslam's answer today did not prevent fans on Twitter and other social media from speculating on whether the Browns stadium would soon have a retractable roof or dome, including some who debunked the entire matter, pointing out that Haslam never uttered the word dome.

    (But as The Plain Dealer's Mark Naymik presciently said in a column only hours earlier about the ongoing debate over whether the late Art Modell turned down a city offer to build a stadium in the 1990s: "It's never too early to start a new stadium controversy."

    Earlier in the day, City Council President Martin Sweeney had said he did not expect the Tennessee billionaire to bring up any business with the city, such as improvements to Browns Stadium.


    "There's no formal request of any kind," Sweeney said. "The specific purpose is meeting the council and meeting the new owner."

    Haslam, a minority owner of the Steelers since 2008, bought the Browns from Randy Lerner in August,
    Haslam also stressed that not only are the Browns here to stay, so is he. No more upheaval or overhauls.

    "We're in this for the long run," he said. "We've owned our family business for 53 years. There are some people that come into a franchise for three years and sell it. That's not us. Our family is in this for the long, long run."

    LINK
    The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

    The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

  • #2
    So, the new owner says he's focused only on winning. Yet, his first three announcements:

    1. Selling Stadium naming rights
    2. Plans on getting rid of the uniform and adding a logo
    3. Plans on adding a roof to the stadium
    The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

    The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Charlie Brown View Post
      So, the new owner says he's focused only on winning. Yet, his first three announcements:

      1. Selling Stadium naming rights
      2. Plans on getting rid of the uniform and adding a logo
      3. Plans on adding a roof to the stadium
      What's next, a new helmet?
      sigpic

      2014 Pick'Em Challenge Champion
      Proud Fan of the 3 Time Super Bowl Champion Denver Broncos

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by BroncoFanBoy View Post
        What's next, a new helmet?
        Yet, people wonder why I am not excited about the new owner and why I am so pessimistic about the team?

        *sigh*

        He should just change the team name and retire everything "Browns".
        The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

        The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Charlie Brown View Post
          Yet, people wonder why I am not excited about the new owner and why I am so pessimistic about the team?

          *sigh*

          He should just change the team name and retire everything "Browns".
          People just don't like negative things these days. Charlie, I agree with you. I feel bad for the team now.
          sigpic

          2014 Pick'Em Challenge Champion
          Proud Fan of the 3 Time Super Bowl Champion Denver Broncos

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Charlie Brown View Post
            Yet, people wonder why I am not excited about the new owner and why I am so pessimistic about the team?

            *sigh*

            He should just change the team name and retire everything "Browns".
            They might as well... What the Browns are now, is not what the Browns truly should be known as in the history books.
            :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

            sigpic
            Adopted Bronco 2015 CJ Anderson

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Frenchy180 View Post
              They might as well... What the Browns are now, is not what the Browns truly should be known as in the history books.
              That team is the team I want.

              That team is the team I've followed most of my life. I don't want his "futuristic" team. I want the Browns I grew up with.

              This guy pushes through these changes - and puts the final nail in the coffin, especially the uniform changes. I am walking.

              The "good" news is that any of those drastic overhauls he is planning will take time. I read somewhere that any major uniform changes must be approved two years in advance. Next year, the only announcement made was that they will FINALLY be removing the AL patch.
              Last edited by Charlie Brown; 09-21-2012, 11:10 PM.
              The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

              The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Charlie Brown View Post
                That team is the team I want.

                That team is the team I've followed most of my life. I don't want his "futuristic" team. I want the Browns I grew up with.

                This guy pushes through these changes - and puts the final nail in the coffin, especially the uniform changes. I am walking.

                The "good" news is that any of those drastic overhauls he is planning will take time. I read somewhere that any major uniform changes must be approved two years in advance. Next year, the only announcement made was that they will FINALLY be removing the AL patch.
                I've gotta ask, and I don't have any motives behind this question other than curiosity... Would you become a fan of another team, or just walk away from the sport?
                :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

                sigpic
                Adopted Bronco 2015 CJ Anderson

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Frenchy180 View Post
                  I've gotta ask, and I don't have any motives behind this question other than curiosity... Would you become a fan of another team, or just walk away from the sport?
                  Walk away from sport.

                  Why should I care for a company that breaks its promises?

                  The NFL promised that the Browns would be back. They still aren't back. Yet, we are supposed to be content? Now, they expect Browns fans who lived through the 90s to be shamed into "honoring" Modell?

                  Browns fans fought against Modell for the uniform and the history. Yet, now the NFL wants Browns fans to be elated that the new owner is going to throw that all away?
                  Last edited by Charlie Brown; 09-21-2012, 11:57 PM.
                  The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

                  The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Charlie Brown View Post
                    Walk away from sport.

                    Why should I care for a company that breaks its promises?

                    The NFL promised that the Browns would be back. They still aren't back. Yet, we are supposed to be content? Now, they expect Browns fans who lived through the 90s to be shamed into "honoring" Modell?

                    Browns fans fought against Modell for the uniform and the history. Yet, now the NFL wants Browns fans to be elated that the new owner is going to throw that all away?
                    I can't agree with you enough on this subject man...
                    :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

                    sigpic
                    Adopted Bronco 2015 CJ Anderson

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I've always felt that football should be played outdoors. The only place that I think warrants and currently has it is Minnesota. An outdoor playoff game in Minnesota is less about home field advantage, and more about survival.
                      Last edited by Spice 1; 09-22-2012, 11:34 AM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Thought i read somewhere that the Brown's new owner is a Lifelong Steeler's Fan?

                        Man that has to hurt.

                        It would be like Al Davis buying the Bronco's or some nightmare like that.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Spice 1 View Post
                          I've always felt that football should be played outdoors. The only place that I think warrants and currently has it is Minnesota. An outdoor playoff game in Minnesota is less about home field advantage, and more about survival.
                          I'm not sure, but I think their new stadium is going to be outdoors

                          Originally posted by Frankenpost View Post
                          Thought i read somewhere that the Brown's new owner is a Lifelong Steeler's Fan?

                          Man that has to hurt.

                          It would be like Al Davis buying the Bronco's or some nightmare like that.
                          yeah, the new owner was a minority owner of the Steelers.
                          :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

                          sigpic
                          Adopted Bronco 2015 CJ Anderson

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Haslam is really determined to win games.

                            His first official step, before building a dome, before getting rid of the uniform, before putting a logo on the helmet, and before changing the name of the stadium.

                            Haslam has announced: Cheerleader Tryouts

                            LINK

                            The Browns are one of a few NFL teams to have no cheerleaders. It is a part of the tradition. Now, not anymore...
                            The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

                            The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              As a fellow Clevelander,I think the new owner is retarded....I've never been a fan of the Browns but I've always respected the history of the team but to change the colors,logo, and make it a dome team is stupid.

                              Part of being a Cleveland Browns fan is able to cheer on their team in cold weather and this new owner is taking it away from them.....smh...
                              I support Kaepernick 100%

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X