Drew Brees Calls Out NFL For Referee Debacle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drew Brees Calls Out NFL For Referee Debacle

@drewbrees: I love this league and love the game of football, but tonight's [Week 3 Green Bay @ Seattle] debacle hurts me greatly. This is NOT the league we're supposed to represent.
    @drewbrees: Ironic that our league punishes those based on conduct detrimental. Whose CONDUCT is DETRIMENTAL now?
    Burn, Roger Goodell. Burn.
    Last edited by getlynched47; 09-25-2012, 09:43 AM.

sigpic

FA Targets: DT Jason Jones, DT Pat Simms, S Reggie Smith, LB Dan Connor

:cool:

Good.
    Goodell and the NFL are a bunch of hypocrites.
    Always talking about integrity of the game but then they pull this.
    Players cant even go down on their knee to celebrate a touchdown but its A ok for this ref situation to happen. What a load of crap
    sigpic

Comment

Well.....now that I slept on it (The MNF game).....which means I should be a lot less ticked

Well I'm not.

Some games have been unbareable to watch, because of all the penalties, mistakes and time wasted trying to get things right. But I sensed that last night's game was ready for a disaster, based on the incompetence that was witnessed. The pass interference call on Shields against Rice was one of the worst PIs I've ever seen. As a player what do you do......stay away from the offender. Let him catch the ball??? It was offensive PI, and it cost GB big time. It didn't settle the game but it helped, in terms of field position.

The game-ending play was ugly. Tate had no business even touching the ball, because he blatantly offended the GB defender. That should have nullified the play. As for the catch.....first, the officials were nowhere to be seen. The fact one guy got it right and the other, who came out of left field with no clue, called it a TD, did not mean it should have been left at a TD without thorough review. The refs never gathered to make a rational decision. And if it was reviewed, it sure didn't take long, and it sure wasn't accurate. I was worried, because if regular refs were involved, the play would have been reversed. But someow expected worse......and it happened.

Pathetic!

And you can tell by the way The classier Packers handled it. Rodgers was outraged. So was McCarthy. And so were all the good guys. BUT they couldn't speak their minds, because Goodell has the audacity to ruin the game, but not be criticized indirectly, for the mess he has created. I am seriously wondering about the depth at which he took Bounty Gate. Perhaps he, in his CEO state of mind, went too far with some of that. Drew Brees thinks so.

This is a big loss for GB. And it is a big win for Seattle.

Further.....we all knew something like this would happen. It was just when. But it did happen to some degree by the way guys are playing the game a little differently, and getting away with what they can. And as some ex players are stating......guys are going to get hurt. They showed Ed Reed taking two dangerous shots at NE players. He didn't get called the first time, which allowed him to try it again. This is dangerous stuff.

As for the integrity of the game......lets just say it has reached a new level in my books. This, the greatest league in the world....or is it?
      Last edited by CanDB; 09-25-2012, 08:25 AM.

Comment

Here's what I see happening. There is now 60-70 players complaining about this on twitter. Mass fines will be handed out and then the NFL will amazingly have enough extra dough to make a deal happen....
        sigpic

Comment

I used to defend The Commish.......over the last couple of years I realize I no longer buy his goods.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
            I used to defend The Commish.......over the last couple of years I realize I no longer buy his goods.
            Hes a dink
            sigpic

Comment

Sooooo.....some of the crews couldn't cut the Lingerie League.....WOW!!!!

http://www.businessinsider.com/linge...fl-refs-2012-9

Here's a sample of the article:

Because of the LFL's perception it is that much more critical for us to hire officiating crews that are competent, not only for the credibility of our game but to keep our athletes safer. Due to several on-field incompetent officiating we chose to part ways with with a couple crews which apparently are now officiating in the NFL. We have a lot of respect for our officials but we felt the officiating was not in line with our expectations

Saaaaaaaaaaad!!!!

Comment

OP updated with another Drew Brees quote. He's extremely disappointed with the NFL.

sigpic

Comment

Wanna see something incredibly embarrassing and patronizing?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-been-flagged/

The NFL has issued its statement on last night’s Packers-Seahawks game, saying that Golden Tate should have been called for pass interference, but the result of the game will not be reversed.

From the league’s release:

“Seattle quarterback Russell Wilson threw a pass into the end zone. Several players, including Seattle wide receiver Golden Tate and Green Bay safety M.D. Jennings, jumped into the air in an attempt to catch the ball.

“While the ball is in the air, Tate can be seen shoving Green Bay cornerback Sam Shields to the ground. This should have been a penalty for offensive pass interference, which would have ended the game. It was not called and is not reviewable in instant replay.

“When the players hit the ground in the end zone, the officials determined that both Tate and Jennings had possession of the ball. Under the rule for simultaneous catch, the ball belongs to Tate, the offensive player. The result of the play was a touchdown.

“Replay Official Howard Slavin stopped the game for an instant replay review. The aspects of the play that were reviewable included if the ball hit the ground and who had possession of the ball. In the end zone, a ruling of a simultaneous catch is reviewable. That is not the case in the field of play, only in the end zone.

“Referee Wayne Elliott determined that no indisputable visual evidence existed to overturn the call on the field, and as a result, the on-field ruling of touchdown stood. The NFL Officiating Department reviewed the video today and supports the decision not to overturn the on-field ruling following the instant replay review.

“The result of the game is final.”
                  This is incredibly pathetic and insulting. The NFL literally thinks us fans are stupid.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
                    Here's what I see happening. There is now 60-70 players complaining about this on twitter. Mass fines will be handed out and then the NFL will amazingly have enough extra dough to make a deal happen....
                    All fines go to charity, so I doubt it.
                    sigpic

Comment

Short version... I disagree.

A) I had the same thoughts on the call last night as the NFL released today. May or may not be right, but that doesn't make it stupid or insulting. I think the outrage is largely fueled by the announcers' reaction and previous sentiments about the referees and even some regarding previous negotiations.

B) I'm sick of hearing about how if the NFL doesn't bend over to the will of ____ party, they must not care about _____.

Is it really that simple? No. If it was, then no amount of money would matter, so it wouldn't bother you if the refs were asking for $100mil/season? It doesn't really matter if it's something they can currently afford, that doesn't mean it's the best decision for the league.
                      Thanks, Reid!
                      sigpic
                      Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

Comment

Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post
                        Short version... I disagree.

A) I had the same thoughts on the call last night as the NFL released today. May or may not be right, but that doesn't make it stupid or insulting. I think the outrage is largely fueled by the announcers' reaction and previous sentiments about the referees and even some regarding previous negotiations.

B) I'm sick of hearing about how if the NFL doesn't bend over to the will of ____ party, they must not care about _____.

Is it really that simple? No. If it was, then no amount of money would matter, so it wouldn't bother you if the refs were asking for $100mil/season? It doesn't really matter if it's something they can currently afford, that doesn't mean it's the best decision for the league.
                        I kind of agree that the league had to release a statement like that... it really doesn't bug me that it did... it was a bad call but by the rules what can they do.

as to your second point I do totally agree with that in theory though from what i've read the referees demands are really not egregious (they want to keep their pensions which i think really is fair) and they have even offered a compromise.

the league makes a fortune it really does and for what the refs are asking it really is peanuts in the grand scheme of things. Especially after seeing the travesty that occurred last night I think it just highlights why the refs (the true professional ones) are worth a premium.

I get that they want 'the best deal' but really stuff like last night totally compromises their product in the grand scheme of things ( the nfl )

Comment

The thing seldom talked about is that the NFL isn't just waiting on money... they want some full time refs, too. That would be good in the long term for the game, would it not?

Two or three times the money demands would still be peanuts. That doesn't mean they should just take whatever.
                          Thanks, Reid!
                          sigpic
                          Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

Comment

Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post
                            The thing seldom talked about is that the NFL isn't just waiting on money... they want some full time refs, too. That would be good in the long term for the game, would it not?

Two or three times the money demands would still be peanuts. That doesn't mean they should just take whatever.
                            I don't think anyone thinks they should take 'whatever' the major stumbling block ( at least from what I read ) is that the owners wants the refs on 401(k) and the older refs want to maintain their pension, and have even gone and said all new refs can be on 401(k)s as a compromise.

I am positive full time professional refs would be great, and honestly I am sure the ref union would in theory support the full time employment of the refs... though I didn't think that was the big hurdle in their negotiations..(though i very well could be wrong)

Comment

Originally posted by Remedy View Post
                              I don't think anyone thinks they should take 'whatever' the major stumbling block ( at least from what I read ) is that the owners wants the refs on 401(k) and the older refs want to maintain their pension, and have even gone and said all new refs can be on 401(k)s as a compromise.

I am positive full time professional refs would be great, and honestly I am sure the ref union would in theory support the full time employment of the refs... though I didn't think that was the big hurdle in their negotiations..(though i very well could be wrong)
                              i think it is more than just the money. The regular refs aren't in favor of what the nfl wants. The nfl wants to have full time refs so they are more focused/better at doing the games, the nfl wants to go to a younger generation of refs and start replacing some of these older guys, the nfl wants to bench crews who make bad calls, etc.

The regular refs are as much to blame for this whole thing in my opinion.

But, yeah, the money does play a part (as well as what giving in would show to the player's union after the cba expires)

Comment

Working...
                              X