No announcement yet.

Drew Brees Calls Out NFL For Referee Debacle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the league admits that play should have been a interception not only does Green Bay have a beef ( nothing would be done they would just have to deal with it ) but the real refs probably up their demands.

The NFL HAS to say they support the call made or they open themselves up to so much crap buisnesswise it is better to tell us the sky is pink even though we know it is not.
    Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Originally posted by TheSheriff View Post
      i think it is more than just the money. The regular refs aren't in favor of what the nfl wants. The nfl wants to have full time refs so they are more focused/better at doing the games, the nfl wants to go to a younger generation of refs and start replacing some of these older guys, the nfl wants to bench crews who make bad calls, etc.

The regular refs are as much to blame for this whole thing in my opinion.

But, yeah, the money does play a part (as well as what giving in would show to the player's union after the cba expires)
      I find it hard to hate on the regular refs for protecting their own interests in those circumstances... regardless I heard that the league and the officials were in meetings all day today. so that is a good sign.

situations like last night really do highlight why have a competent set of refs is important (despite all the guff we give them)

Comment

Blake Griffen however likes the new look nfl.

Comment

Yeah, I think the 'replacement ref crews' to step in for underperforming ref crews was as big a stumbling block as the money. If not bigger. Again, you don't hear many of the talking heads mentioning that... saying the NFL is all about their money, and they don't have the league's image as high a priority as they should. Some of their demands show that they are working towards long term better officiating, and yes... that probably means taking a few bad calls in the short term in the holdout to get it.

If the officiating improves over the next few years, I would gladly tell Packers fans to their faces that it was worth it.
          Thanks, Reid!
          sigpic
          Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

Comment

Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post
            Short version... I disagree.

A) I had the same thoughts on the call last night as the NFL released today. May or may not be right, but that doesn't make it stupid or insulting. I think the outrage is largely fueled by the announcers' reaction and previous sentiments about the referees and even some regarding previous negotiations.

B) I'm sick of hearing about how if the NFL doesn't bend over to the will of ____ party, they must not care about _____.

Is it really that simple? No. If it was, then no amount of money would matter, so it wouldn't bother you if the refs were asking for $100mil/season? It doesn't really matter if it's something they can currently afford, that doesn't mean it's the best decision for the league.
            i agree, even though it seems like Jennings had a little more possession of the ball, it still seemed like they both did. i think the right call was made according to the rules but i might argue that isn't a good rule.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
              If the league admits that play should have been a interception not only does Green Bay have a beef ( nothing would be done they would just have to deal with it ) but the real refs probably up their demands.

The NFL HAS to say they support the call made or they open themselves up to so much crap buisnesswise it is better to tell us the sky is pink even though we know it is not.
              that wasn't a clean int, it would have been a bad call had it been ruled an int according to the rules.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by baphamet View Post
                that wasn't a clean int, it would have been a bad call had it been ruled an int according to the rules.
                The only thing I see though that would support the INT is that Tate pulled one of his hands and arm away from the ball to try to regain control. To me he lost it right there at the point and Jennings had it fully, but there really isn't anything you can do in that situation. But I think that was just a really bad time for it to happen and with how the refs have seemed to degress over the season and than that happened at the end of the game I think just pushed people over the edge. And with it being a nationally televised game it really cause things to explode.

But I'm glad it looks like they got a deal worked out because it was need. But I do feel bad for these refs they were trying but they just couldn't cut it.

Adopted Broncos:
                (2011-2013) Eric Decker
                (2014-2018) Bradley Roby
                (2019-Current) Drew Lock
                Adopted posters:
                Everyone

Comment

Originally posted by baphamet View Post
                  i agree, even though it seems like Jennings had a little more possession of the ball, it still seemed like they both did. i think the right call was made according to the rules but i might argue that isn't a good rule.
                  I agree... and in this instance, I compare it more to the Calvin Johnson 'Drop'... more than say the Cutler 'Incomplete'.

It's a case where it's an extraordinary circumstance that makes the rule look stupid even though it's served the league fine for X amount of time now, as opposed to a ruling that was due to a mistake.
                  Thanks, Reid!
                  sigpic
                  Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

Comment

Working...
                  X