Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Last night the 49ers were favored by 7.5 points.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last night the 49ers were favored by 7.5 points.

With 43 seconds left, Harbaugh takes the 2 points off the board, to win by 7 points instead.

I am trying to figure out his logic here.

He thought there was a better chance that the Seahawks would recover an onside kick on the safety PUNT, score then recover another onside kick from a PUNT again?

Cover the spead?
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Because if they kneel, the game is over with no chance of giving them a shot. PFT also made the point of not putting your players in danger of getting hurt in a game that has already been decided.

It was a very smart coaching decision, but he's getting questioned due to a point spread that he probably wasn't even aware of. It's sad, really.
      sigpic

@BlueNOrangeFTW

Comment

I am trying to figure something out though in regards to "putting his players in danger."

What danger?

Up by 9 with 43 seconds left as opposed to being up 7 with 43 seconds left?

The onside kick? They are not allowed to kick off with a tee. They essentially would punt the ball.

It is just weird to me how that played out.

Comment

Originally posted by Orangeisback View Post
          I am trying to figure something out though in regards to "putting his players in danger."

What danger?

Up by 9 with 43 seconds left as opposed to being up 7 with 43 seconds left?

The onside kick? They are not allowed to kick off with a tee. They essentially would punt the ball.

It is just weird to me how that played out.
          Additional game type plays that can get his players hurt.. fighting for an onside kick, defending on defense if the Seahawks recover the onside kick. All plays that can get his players hurt in a game that has already been decided. There's no reason giving them even the slightest chance of pulling out a miracle when you can just kneel down and win the game.
          sigpic

@BlueNOrangeFTW

Comment

I thought it was the right call and don't see why football people would question it. They didn't need the points and the only way they could end up losing the game (as unlikely as it was) was by taking the safety and having Seattle kick off.

Comment

Why take the points if the game is already over. Take the ball kneel it and call it a wrap.. Why risk getting your guys hurt for no reason be it on the punt which yes you can onside it(Although its a lil different) or if seattle got it back risking getting hurt on defense. Hes not the one who was betting so he certainly didnt need the points.

Comment

It was definitely the right call... Get the ball back on downs, and kneel down, game over... Do not even consider giving the ball back to them... Come on...

And point spread... He could care less...
                Bronco fan sine '61...

Comment

"You may watch football the rest of your entire adult life and never see something like that again. Who declines a safety? Harbaugh took +7.5," tweeted Todd Fuhrman, the former oddsmaker at Caesars Palace.

According to RJ Bell of Pregame.com, the decision swung an estimated $75 million worth of bets worldwide.

ESPN sports-business reporter Darren Rovell wrote: "The worldwide swing in bets for that game, including online and overseas sports books, was estimated at as little as $150 million and as much as $1 billion. ... USA Today betting analyst Danny Sheridan told ESPN.com that he estimates that $250 million to $300 million in total was bet worldwide on the game, with an average of 65 percent of the spread bets on the 49ers."

Harbaugh, after the game, said he made that ($75 million) call "because we could just kneel on the ball and have the game be over. Otherwise, they'll onside kick it. And you give them a chance to win the game."

Per NFL rules: On a safety kick, the team scored upon puts ball in play by a punt, dropkick, or placekick without tee. No score can be made on a free kick following a safety, even if a series of penalties places team in position.

Basically the odds of them scoring two scores after recovering two onside kicks from a person holding the ball in my estimation is far greater than the 49ers fumbling the snap.

Meaning I dont think it would have made an ounce of difference, and really no one would have been injured on any onside kick.

You would have to be a bettor to understand the sheer frustration of that decision if you had a nickel or a dime on the game while giving the 7.5.
                  Last edited by Orangeisback; 10-20-2012, 03:26 PM.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr-ELKhmWj8

people do get hurt on onside kicks.

Comment

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr-ELKhmWj8

people do get hurt on onside kicks.
                      Very very very rare.

Comment

I think it's safe to say 49ers will never make or win SB with Alex Smith as QB. Guy is game manager always has been always will be.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Orangeisback View Post
                          Very very very rare.
                          Only because the onside kick is still a very rare play in the NFL. I would bet that the injury per onside kick is quite a bit higher than the injury per play.

Comment

Originally posted by Chillez View Post
                            I think it's safe to say 49ers will never make or win SB with Alex Smith as QB. Guy is game manager always has been always will be.
                            Game managers have won it before.

I would say the first SB run of the Giants was won by a game manager.

Others have done it as well.

I dont see it either, but it could happen.

Comment

Working...
                            X