Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
    Lets relax just a little.......
    What if your last name was Poop, and you trademarked Pooping?
    sigpic

Comment

As Jay3 correctly mentioned, Tebow didn't patent "Tebowing"; he filed for a trademark (legally, there is a big difference).

All this means is that somebody can't use Tebow's likeness and name (as part of the word "Tebowing") in commercial ventures without Tebow's permission. Doesn't seem unreasonable to me; it's totally rational for Tebow to want to gain some control how his name and image are used on products that are sold for profit.

This doesn't mean that you are going to get sued every time you write the word "Tebowing" on these message boards, or that other players are going to start receiving cease-and-desist letters whenever they kneel in prayer on a football field. It just means that people trying to sell "Tebowing" merchandise are going to need Tebow's approval to do so now.

I'm curious as to why some of you seem to have a big problem with this, beyond the fact that some on these boards just hate Tebow and everything he does, no matter what.

Comment

Originally posted by MileHighInNY View Post
        As Jay3 correctly mentioned, Tebow didn't patent "Tebowing"; he filed for a trademark (legally, there is a big difference).

All this means is that somebody can't use Tebow's likeness and name (as part of the word "Tebowing") in commercial ventures without Tebow's permission. Doesn't seem unreasonable to me; it's totally rational for Tebow to want to gain some control how his name and image are used on products that are sold for profit.

This doesn't mean that you are going to get sued every time you write the word "Tebowing" on these message boards, or that other players are going to start receiving cease-and-desist letters whenever they kneel in prayer on a football field. It just means that people trying to sell "Tebowing" merchandise are going to need Tebow's approval to do so now.

I'm curious as to why some of you seem to have a big problem with this, beyond the fact that some on these boards just hate Tebow and everything he does, no matter what.
        How can you trademark something you didn't even invent?

Then he says "oh that happened, hmmm I didn't know".

He and his handlers saw an opportunity at some point to make money down the road, and snatched it up. I guess we'll just wait and see if there's any official "Tebowing" merchandise within the next year.
        sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Originally posted by MileHighInNY View Post

Being that this is all he is doing, it is egregious that he is being attacked by the same people as always.

There is literally nothing Tebow could do and get in the news for that he wouldn't be vilified for on this board. He could save 10 children from a burning building and people would say stuff like he only did it for the publicity.

Comment

Good for Tebow........ everyone tries to exploit Tebow as much as possible. Im glad he will be the one making the money off this instead of someone else. Tebow earned his fame he should reap the rewards.

If it bothers people, then I can only assume they had unrealistic expectations or pre-conceived notions about the guy. Im sure a pretty good chunk of any proceeds will benefit a cause greater than the measly ammount(in comparison) most of us can give. Another victory for Tebow but unfortunately another thing for people to over react about.

Comment

Originally posted by atwaterandstir View Post
              Good for Tebow........ everyone tries to exploit Tebow as much as possible. Im glad he will be the one making the money off this instead of someone else. Tebow earned his fame he should reap the rewards.

If it bothers people, then I can only assume they had unrealistic expectations or pre-conceived notions about the guy. Im sure a pretty good chunk of any proceeds will benefit a cause greater than the measly ammount(in comparison) most of us can give. Another victory for Tebow but unfortunately another thing for people to over react about.
              The people at tebowing.com, the ones who actually started the phrase, give the proceeds of their merchandise to charity as well. What's the difference if tebow does it or they do it?

I'm not buying any of this. Its about money, brand building and protecting his "image". Maybe Terrell Davis should have trademarked the mile high salute....
              sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
                The people at tebowing.com, the ones who actually started the phrase, give the proceeds of their merchandise to charity as well. What's the difference if tebow does it or they do it?

I'm not buying any of this. Its about money, brand building and protecting his "image". Maybe Terrell Davis should have trademarked the mile high salute....
                except Tebow didn't trademark the act of Tebowing so the mile high salute comparison is irrelevant.

Comment

Originally posted by Bernie24 View Post
                  except Tebow didn't trademark the act of Tebowing so the mile high salute comparison is irrelevant.
                  You don't live in Denver, and are too young to remember anyway, but there were people selling hats, t-shirts, bumper stickers ETC of the mile high salute.

Tebow's MARKETING firm filed the trademark. That's all that needs to be said.

We'll all just agree to disagree, because no one's mind is going to change.
                  sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                    Lets relax just a little.......
                    Originally posted by BroncoFanNC View Post
                    What if your last name was Poop, and you trademarked Pooping?
                    It's interesting, because the more relaxed the better (for managing one's internal activity, shall we say).......

And yes, if blessed with that last name, I might be inclined to make something good out of it.......sort of the lemons to lemonade story......sorta

Comment

Whats wrong with brand building? Like I said, the guy earned his fame and he should reap the rewards whenever possible. And your right, perhaps TD should have taken any and all advantages from his fame. Cant blame Tebow or Tebows "brand" for being smart business people.
                      As far as the "people who actually started the phrase" tough luck. They should have figured out a way to protect their product/phrase/whatever.

You seem to think this creates some kind of conflict of interests, but your wrong. Hes a smart business person and has surrounded himself with people who can help build a succesful "brand".... a true american success story that he should be proud of.

Comment

As for the people who started the phrase, there's a separate analysis that goes on for combinations of a person's name. You can't just sell "PeytonBites" snacks with the likeness of Peyton just because you "made up the name." There is an interest a person has in his own name, and goods being sold with combinations of his name and likeness. As part of that overall analysis and process, a person will often trademark things involving combinations of their name and/or likeness to simplify the debate. There's no basic right to use a trade name just because you "made it up." Associating a person's name or likeness with a product is something that can be regulated.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay3 View Post
                          As for the people who started the phrase, there's a separate analysis that goes on for combinations of a person's name. You can't just sell "PeytonBites" snacks with the likeness of Peyton just because you "made up the name." There is an interest a person has in his own name, and goods being sold with combinations of his name and likeness. As part of that overall analysis and process, a person will often trademark things involving combinations of their name and/or likeness to simplify the debate. There's no basic right to use a trade name just because you "made it up." Associating a person's name or likeness with a product is something that can be regulated.
                          As far as I know his name is not "Tebowing" and his face/image wasnt used on the merchandise. So you can trademark a silhouette now?

Sorry, like I said, I'm not buying any of it.
                          sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

As far as I know his name is not "Tebowing" and his face/image wasnt used on the merchandise. So you can trademark a silhouette now?
                            I used the hypothetical "PeytonBites" because it contains the name "Peyton" in a similar way that the word "Tebowing" contains the name "Tebow." It was my hope people could see how a product name can be derived from a person's name, and not be exactly just his name. I don't see how any further explanation could make it clearer if you missed it.

As for the likeness -- sure, if a piece of merchandise in question does not have his likeness, then that's moot. I was pointing out for completeness a person's rights when it comes to his name and likeness.

You've done a good job of making it clear where you're coming from -- no further clarification needed. You're pretty much on record that we will, in fact, see for-profit "Tebowing" products from Tim Tebow in the near future.

I was just pointing out some details for those that might be interested.

Comment

Sorry, like I said, I'm not buying any of it.

Yes you can......In fact Michael Jordan has done just great with the rights to use his silloute on clothing and other merchandise. I have several Jordan items that dont say Jordan on them, only the jumpman logo.

Comment

So, Auguste Rodin's sculpture is now "Tebowing" illegally, without Tebow's permission!

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X