Do you think the HOF has too many players in it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you think the HOF has too many players in it

I was thinking about this the other day, and looking at some of the names in the HOF and I think too many 'good' players get in, without being exceptional.

I believe the hall should be only for the real elite.

i.e. someone who was a top weapon in the league for at least 7-8 years.

At the moment only 2 QB's are HOF worthy. Brady and Manning.

Rodgers has a chance if he is still playing at an elite level in 5-6 years.

IMO Eli and Big Ben and not close to HOF players.

No disrespect to players but how someone like Lynne Swann is in I don't know.

I also heard that Bettis could be going in. He was a good, tough back for many years. Is he up there with Sanders, Payton, Tomlinson, AP ? Not even close.

I moved this to nfl / other teams for ya.

as for too many players... I don't know it always seems like there are truly exceptional players who don't get in every single year...

Comment

I think there is to many players, but not saying the ones in don't deserve to be in.

But I also think that they shouldn't shy away from having years where just 2-3 people go in instead of 6-7 going in.
      sigpic
      Adopted Broncos:
      EmmanuelSanders

Comment

Originally posted by bronx_2003 View Post
        I was thinking about this the other day, and looking at some of the names in the HOF and I think too many 'good' players get in, without being exceptional.

I believe the hall should be only for the real elite.

i.e. someone who was a top weapon in the league for at least 7-8 years.

At the moment only 2 QB's are HOF worthy. Brady and Manning.

Rodgers has a chance if he is still playing at an elite level in 5-6 years.

IMO Eli and Big Ben and not close to HOF players.

No disrespect to players but how someone like Lynne Swann is in I don't know.

I also heard that Bettis could be going in. He was a good, tough back for many years. Is he up there with Sanders, Payton, Tomlinson, AP ? Not even close.

SWANN DOESN'T BELONG IN THE HALL????

Swann spent his entire NFL career with the Steelers and wore the jersey number 88. As a rookie, he led the NFL with 577 punt return yards, a franchise record and the fourth most in NFL history at the time. He went on to win a championship ring with the Steelers in Super Bowl IX but did not record any receptions in the tough defensive struggle (Pittsburgh quarterback Terry Bradshaw completed only nine passes in the game). However, he returned 3 punts for 34 yards.

The following season became the highlight of Swann's career. He caught 49 passes for 781 yards and a league-leading 11 touchdowns. In the AFC title game against the Oakland Raiders George Atkinson cheap shotted Swann with a vicious hit. He suffered a severe concussion that forced him to spend two days in a hospital, but surprised many by returning to play for Super Bowl X. Swann recorded four catches for a Super Bowl record 161 yards and a touchdown in the game, assisting the Steelers to a 21–17 win and becoming the first wide receiver to earn Super Bowl MVP honors.

Three seasons later the Steelers made it to Super Bowl XIII. In the game, Swann caught seven passes for 124 yards and scored the final touchdown for Pittsburgh in their 35–31 win over the Dallas Cowboys. The Steelers made it back to the Super Bowl again in the 1979 season, and Swann caught five passes for 79 yards and a touchdown in Pittsburgh's 31–19 win in Super Bowl XIV. Overall, Swann gained 364 receiving yards and 398 all-purpose yards in his four Super Bowls, which were both Super Bowl records at the time.

Swann retired after the 1982 season with four Super Bowl rings. He amassed 336 career receptions for 5,462 yards and 51 touchdowns, along with 72 rushing yards, a rushing touchdown, and 739 punt return yards and a touchdown. He was a pro bowl selection three times (1975, 1977, 1978) and was selected on the 1970s all-decade team.

Swann was named an All-Pro Team Selection in 1975, 1977, and 1978. He was elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2001, a year before his teammate John Stallworth. He was also selected to the NFL 1970s All-Decade Team by Hall of Fame voters.

Comment

I just checked out last years inductees, and I'm not too familiar with most so I won't comment on them, but there is no way Curtis Martin should be in the hall alongside the backs I mentioned.

He was good but not on the same planet as them, and this is no disrespect to him, he had a good career.

Comment

Originally posted by 344051 View Post
            SWANN DOESN'T BELONG IN THE HALL????

Swann spent his entire NFL career with the Steelers and wore the jersey number 88. As a rookie, he led the NFL with 577 punt return yards, a franchise record and the fourth most in NFL history at the time. He went on to win a championship ring with the Steelers in Super Bowl IX but did not record any receptions in the tough defensive struggle (Pittsburgh quarterback Terry Bradshaw completed only nine passes in the game). However, he returned 3 punts for 34 yards.

The following season became the highlight of Swann's career. He caught 49 passes for 781 yards and a league-leading 11 touchdowns. In the AFC title game against the Oakland Raiders George Atkinson cheap shotted Swann with a vicious hit. He suffered a severe concussion that forced him to spend two days in a hospital, but surprised many by returning to play for Super Bowl X. Swann recorded four catches for a Super Bowl record 161 yards and a touchdown in the game, assisting the Steelers to a 21–17 win and becoming the first wide receiver to earn Super Bowl MVP honors.

Three seasons later the Steelers made it to Super Bowl XIII. In the game, Swann caught seven passes for 124 yards and scored the final touchdown for Pittsburgh in their 35–31 win over the Dallas Cowboys. The Steelers made it back to the Super Bowl again in the 1979 season, and Swann caught five passes for 79 yards and a touchdown in Pittsburgh's 31–19 win in Super Bowl XIV. Overall, Swann gained 364 receiving yards and 398 all-purpose yards in his four Super Bowls, which were both Super Bowl records at the time.

Swann retired after the 1982 season with four Super Bowl rings. He amassed 336 career receptions for 5,462 yards and 51 touchdowns, along with 72 rushing yards, a rushing touchdown, and 739 punt return yards and a touchdown. He was a pro bowl selection three times (1975, 1977, 1978) and was selected on the 1970s all-decade team.

Swann was named an All-Pro Team Selection in 1975, 1977, and 1978. He was elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2001, a year before his teammate John Stallworth. He was also selected to the NFL 1970s All-Decade Team by Hall of Fame voters.
            He played 9 seasons and only got in the pro bowl 3 times.

For comparison -

Moss - 14th season (on/off), SEVEN pro bowls.

TO - Played 14 seasons, 6 pro bowls.

All - Pro selections

TO and Moss - 5

Swann - 1
            Last edited by bronx_2003; 11-05-2012, 05:15 PM.

Comment

I believe all pro selections were 3 for Swann, not 1. Anyway, he played at a different time when cheap shots on WRs were ok. Because of this, he suffered numerous concussions which shortened his playing career. If you haven't seen him play, you should really go to youtube and watch some of his catches. Just an amazing player. A lot of his heroics were in big games too. If you go entirely by stats, then I guess Gale Sayers wouldn't be in.

Comment

I agree with you on that. I think it should be for the real elite, or for the people who were great at what they did, for their Era. I wasn't born yet to watch Swann play, but I mainly know him from the Superbowls and what not.

I decided to look at his stats now though. 5000 receiving yards, and 51 TD's. You're right. He does not deserve to make the HOF. He never even had a 1000 yard receiving year. The HOF is getting bigger and bigger each year. But yea, some players don't deserve to be in it.
                :salute: :goz: :salute:

Comment

I believe all pro selections were 3 for Swann, not 1. Anyway, he played at a different time when cheap shots on WRs were ok. Because of this, he suffered numerous concussions which shortened his playing career. If you haven't seen him play, you should really go to youtube and watch some of his catches. Just an amazing player. A lot of his heroics were in big games too. If you go entirely by stats, then I guess Gale Sayers wouldn't be in.
                  He had one first team all pro selection. He had 2 second team one's.

I don't go entirely by stats, he made some great plays but I don't even think he was even the best receiver on that team on a consistent basis. Stallworth was better.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncosPWNn00bs View Post
                    I agree with you on that. I think it should be for the real elite, or for the people who were great at what they did, for their Era. I wasn't born yet to watch Swann play, but I mainly know him from the Superbowls and what not.

I decided to look at his stats now though. 5000 receiving yards, and 51 TD's. You're right. He does not deserve to make the HOF. He never even had a 1000 yard receiving year. The HOF is getting bigger and bigger each year. But yea, some players don't deserve to be in it.

Swann was drafted in 74......they were playing 14 game seasons until 1978....teams relied on the ground game much more in those days.....you're not taking into consideration that it was a different era.....you have to look at his impact for his era of football. Please watch some of his replays on youtube.

Comment

You need to keep in mind that its more of a passing league now so receivers stats will look better, but a telling one for me is he only made the PB 3 times out of 9, that doesn't show a huge amount of respect by his peers.

To only have 1 first team all pro selection is very poor IMO if you're talking about a HOF player.

I do think Steeler players get in more easily for some reason.

How Swann is in over Gradishar and Mecklenburg is a complete embarrassment.

Gradishar - SEVEN PB'S, 5 FIRST TEAM all pro selections

M/Burg - SIX PB's, 3 FIRST TEAM all pro selections

Complete joke

Comment

did you watch Swann on youtube yet?

Comment

did you watch Swann on youtube yet?
                          Everyone looks good on youtube.

No doubt he was a good receiver. IMO not a HOF one.

Comment

Swann was drafted in 74......they were playing 14 game seasons until 1978....teams relied on the ground game much more in those days.....you're not taking into consideration that it was a different era.....you have to look at his impact for his era of football. Please watch some of his replays on youtube.
                            Originally posted by bronx_2003 View Post
                            You need to keep in mind that its more of a passing league now so receivers stats will look better, but a telling one for me is he only made the PB 3 times out of 9, that doesn't show a huge amount of respect by his peers.

To only have 1 first team all pro selection is very poor IMO if you're talking about a HOF player.

I do think Steeler players get in more easily for some reason.

How Swann is in over Gradishar and Mecklenburg is a complete embarrassment.

Gradishar - SEVEN PB'S, 5 FIRST TEAM all pro selections

M/Burg - SIX PB's, 3 FIRST TEAM all pro selections

Complete joke

That is true. Kinda forgot about the 14 game seasons when I posted that But thats also what I meant by being great for their time. He was probably a great WR during his era, and did great things over that time frame. I've seen clips and videos of him and heard about him. I do wish I could have seen him play.

I'm looking at that WR draft class from 1974.

Swann ranked, 5th in receptions, 3rd in REC yards, 4th in TD's, and 6th in games played.

That is just from the 1974 draft class.

There was 45 WR's drafed from that draft class and only Swann and Stallworth made the HOF. Seems like Pittsburgh bias to me. So judging on that, and on statistics, Swann was a top 5 WR just from that draft class, and you can make an argument for top 3. But how come the other guys didn't make the HOF who were more productive?
                            :salute: :goz: :salute:

Comment

That is true. Kinda forgot about the 14 game seasons when I posted that But thats also what I meant by being great for their time. He was probably a great WR during his era, and did great things over that time frame. I've seen clips and videos of him and heard about him. I do wish I could have seen him play.

I'm looking at that WR draft class from 1974.

Swann ranked, 5th in receptions, 3rd in REC yards, 4th in TD's, and 6th in games played.

That is just from the 1974 draft class.

There was 45 WR's drafed from that draft class and only Swann and Stallworth made the HOF. Seems like Pittsburgh bias to me. So judging on that, and on statistics, Swann was a top 5 WR just from that draft class, and you can make an argument for top 3. But how come the other guys didn't make the HOF who were more productive?
                              I don't normally believe in bias but where the HOF is concerned it is real.

Comment

Working...
                              X