Tebow in '13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tebow in '13

It's pretty obvious that Tebow will not get his chance for the Jets.

Where do you guys think Tebow will be in 2013, still a Jet? Jacksonville? Where?

At this point, I think maybe even out of football.
    sigpic

Comment

He's gonna be in the Philippines.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakka27 View Post
        It's pretty obvious that Tebow will not get his chance for the Jets.

Where do you guys think Tebow will be in 2013, still a Jet? Jacksonville? Where?
        He needs to go to a team that will make him the starting QB. Back him completely. Give him a chance and see what he has. Not the circus that's in NY.

I heard Jacksonville would be a good fit for him, but I don't follow them.
        Administrator

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage

Lupus Awareness

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

If Tebow can come to the conclussion that he's not a NFL QB, and will accept being a FB or TE (depending on how well he can catch) then I think he'll have a place in the NFL. But if he wants to continue his quest on being a QB, he might be out of the league.
          sigpic

Comment

why on earth did the jets trade for him?

what a joke, even i feel bad for him, he at least deserves a shot on a team that wants to give him one, just not the broncos
            sigpic
            -------

Comment

He should backup Kaepernick for the 49'ers with Harbaugh being a good coach for him. I don't see anyone wanting him as a potential QB1 anymore.
              sigpic

Comment

The only team I can see wanting him as a starting QB is the Jaguars. I don't think there is any other team in the NFL that would give him a shot at being their starter.
                sigpic

2014 Pick'Em Challenge Champion
                Proud Fan of the 3 Time Super Bowl Champion Denver Broncos

Comment

Tebow's career is reaching the point where he might become a journeyman quarterback jumping from team to team as a backup. Similar to Brady Quinn, who was also abruptly traded by the team that drafted him in the first round, and then had to spend more than two years rotting away from the field before getting another opportunity to play on Sunday. Tebow will remain a quarterback. He probably won't be a starter next year, but he will be signed as a backup somewhere.

There are many erratic quarterbacks in the NFL, and Tebow is not even among the worst. He can at least make plays with his legs and his deep ball accuracy is quite above average. That's enough to keep him in the league for a while. Creative coaches that believe in the spread offense will still be interested in Tebow. It will take some time before Tebow is out of the league. Maybe he will not even leave the Jets next year. It's hard to predict what will happen in New York. I expect Mike Tannenbaum to be fired. He's done a terrible job as general manager.

EDIT: And if Tebow really chose the Jets over the Jaguars, he made a very, very bad decision. He would never fit in that locker room with those players and a head coach like Rex Ryan.
                  Last edited by -Rod-; 12-05-2012, 02:42 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

Well, he has only attempted seven passes this season, so far; not even a whole game as a starter. It isn't possible to tell how he's playing these days. The Jets are such a dysfunctional group, they don't offer any clear picture from the inside, anonymous or otherwise. Champ Bailey's take was interesting.

As a QB, there would be two ways a team could go with him:

Work as hard as possible on his passing including reading defenses, audibles and, of course making all the throws. Rushing would be limited to what he got as a result of scrambling on a called pass play.

The other direction would be an offense where he was included in the rushing attack.

If an offense includes the QB as an integral part of the rushing attack, there are only three ways to do it to my knowledge. One is to run Double/Triple Option from direct snap/shotgun formations. Another is to run Option from under Center (e.g., Veer, Option I). And finally, use Single/Double Wing style plays. Those use pulling linemen, double team blocks at POA, misdirection and each back as a running, passing and receiving threat. All of these were seen in the 2011 Bronco offense when Tebow started.

I studied Denver's O closely last year and when the season ended, I came to a conclusion about Option football in today's NFL. Besides the play clock, the big difference between HS, college and pro football is the hashmarks. NFL fields have them lined up on the uprights of the goalposts which are themselves narrower than HS. There is 18'6" between pro hashmarks; 40' between college hashmarks; and, HS hashmarks divide the field into lengthwise thirds 53'4" wide. So, pro football always puts the ball into play from the middle of the field. For all practical purposes, there is no wide side/short side as in HS/college ball. NFL defenders are bigger, faster and cover distances more quickly. Since the front seven is in the MOF, their pursuit is extremely effective.

FB Spencer Larsen was injured near the end of the 2011 season. He was necessary for Denver's under center I formation plays. He was out for the playoff game at NE. The Broncos couldn't get into the I formation and run effectively. Consequently, the Pats knew they would see a lot of Double/Triple Option from shotgun/direct snap formations. Knowing that, when the Broncos were in Gun, they lined up in a 50 Defense, Aggied their NT to tight side 1 tech, Eagled split side 5 to a 3 and had tight side End box. The result was the Broncos couldn't run Option and they couldn't get the Pats out of that look by going to I formations; Give was closed to the split side; Keep was closed to the tight side; Pitch was spilled to the tight side with run support from the secondary/sideline.

I don't think Option is viable as a long term plan for a rushing attack w/QB in the NFL, the success of RGIII and Cam Newton notwithstanding. The hashmarks put the ball in MOF. Therefore IMO, the only offense including QB as part of the rushing attack is Single/Double Wing or A Formation which is a variation. Sparano had experience with the so-called "Wildcat" which is an extremely watered down version of Single Wing. I thought for sure he would implement that with Tebow, but didn't see it. Yale Formation (Single Wing variant) plays would have been very difficult to stop in short yardage/GL. Tebow as PP in Punt Formation is actually one of Warner's three formations which the Jets used some.

Going this route would require at least one other back who can throw/run/receive, a very fast Wing Back who can throw on occasion/run/receive, and a big FB/BB who can block/run/receive to fill out the backfield with Tebow. Given the lack of experience with this offense and the short time coaches are given to succeed, I don't see this happening; an O like this won't be built around Tebow.

Which brings us back to the first approach. If Tim gets another shot, he must become a better passer and limit his running to scrambling on a called pass.
                    Last edited by samparnell; 12-05-2012, 02:47 PM. Reason: format
                    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

He probably won't do this but I think he'd have a long career as a backup to RG3 in Washington which would probably lead to more playing time given the number of times the QB gets hit in that type of offense. He's not exactly RG3 but that offense is clearly tailored to a QB that can run the read option effectively and last year with us Tebow was absolutely terrific with the read option. I know they drafted Kirk Cousins as well but if RG3 goes down they have to change their whole offense. Tebow gives them the option to keep doing what they've been doing with RG3.

Also it doesn't hurt that he would have Mike and Kyle teaching him how to pass the ball effectively as well. And I'm sure Mike and Kyle will come up with some package where they would have Tebow and RG3 on the field at the same time.

Comment

Reality TV.
                        Team Broncos!
                        2013 Adopt A Bronco Peyton Manning|#18|QB

Comment

I just want him to wind up in Jacksonville and be a bit part player. He deserves a crowd that will appreciate him and give him an opportunity. I don't think he'll set the world on fire but if he can get on the field then everyone can be happy with the situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Andyy_47 View Post
                            I just want him to wind up in Jacksonville and be a bit part player. He deserves a crowd that will appreciate him and give him an opportunity. I don't think he'll set the world on fire but if he can get on the field then everyone can be happy with the situation.
                            I honestly think he's out the league soon.

People mention a bit part player or other positions but honestly what position could he be a valuable member of a 53 man roster ?

Comment

Originally posted by EddieMac View Post
                              At this point, I think maybe even out of football.
                              I think so too...

Would like to see him get a shot somewhere, but which team would give him a shot, i'm not sure, as a QB.

Comment

Working...
                              X