No announcement yet.

D.C. mayor wants the Redskins to consider changing their name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting... Being Native, I say this is why I became a Redskins fan as a kid in the first place, when I found I was part Indian it made sense to me that be my team, I changed allegiance whn I got older and moved to Denver though. Instead of being so concerned about a racist name, how about more recognition of the Genocide that took place in this country I find that way more offensive than the name Redskins.
    I really like Cheese.

Comment

They should try to do a formal poll and ask what the public wants and move from there. Vincent Gray is a scumbag (another scumbag DC mayor! Who'd a thunk it!?!) and needs to worry about out of control crime rates and poverty in the nations capital before he worries about the name of the local football team.

As for me? I don't care either way. The Redskins are, well, the Redskins. They could change it easily to something like the "warriors" or some such thing and go back to their old logo of the spear (I think this has already been mentioned).

I say poll the public, because in the case of University of Illinois, they removed Chief Illiniwek as the mascot but kept the name Fightin' Illini and everyone was happy. :shrug:
      sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Just a friendly reminder:

No politics, please.

Everyone seems to be doing good on the racial part. Unless I missed it.

Thanks.
        Administrator

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month

Lupus Awareness Month

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
          They should try to do a formal poll and ask what the public wants and move from there. Vincent Gray is a scumbag (another scumbag DC mayor! Who'd a thunk it!?!) and needs to worry about out of control crime rates and poverty in the nations capital before he worries about the name of the local football team.

As for me? I don't care either way. The Redskins are, well, the Redskins. They could change it easily to something like the "warriors" or some such thing and go back to their old logo of the spear (I think this has already been mentioned).

I say poll the public, because in the case of University of Illinois, they removed Chief Illiniwek as the mascot but kept the name Fightin' Illini and everyone was happy. :shrug:
          I think a poll is a good idea -----for this thread--- especially since a lot of the views on both sides have already been put out there

Id cp ya but gotta spread it
          My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

Originally posted by EddieMac View Post
            The team originated as the Boston Braves, based in Boston, Massachusetts, in 1932. At the time the team played in Braves Field, the home field of the Boston Braves baseball team. The following year the club moved to Fenway Park, home of the Boston Red Sox, whereupon owners changed the team's name to the Boston Redskins. The Redskins relocated to Washington, D.C. in 1937.

a 2002 poll commissioned by Sports Illustrated found that 75% of those American Indians surveyed had no objection to the Redskins name.

In 2004, a poll by the Annenberg Public Policy Center at the University of Pennsylvania essentially confirmed the prior poll's findings, concluding that 91% of the American Indians surveyed in the 48 states on the mainland USA found the name acceptable.

This team has a very long history and yes the polls are 11 & 9 years old but the numbers are overwhelmingly in favour of the name being non-offensive to the subject matter group ie native-Americans.

Redskins mean the team.....I would hope the name never changes in the name of political correctness.
            I dont get it. I'm Shawnee and I dont find it offensive. I think people are being too sensitive.
            PROUND MEMBER OF THE MILE HIGH MANNING FIVEHEAD FAN CLUB! MEMBER #101!

Comment

Working...
            X