Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cleveland Browns Stadium naming rights sold: Welcome to FirstEnergy Stadium

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Cleveland Browns Stadium naming rights sold: Welcome to FirstEnergy Stadium

    CLEVELAND, Ohio -- FirstEnergy Corp. Chief Executive Officer Anthony Alexander and Cleveland Browns owner Jimmy Haslam this afternoon announced a partnership that changed the name of the lakefront stadium to "FirstEnergy Stadium, Home of the Cleveland Browns."

    The deal must be approved by the Cleveland City Council, because the city owns the stadium. The lease between the team and the city encourages the Browns to sell naming rights.

    City council will probably hear from the public about the new name for Cleveland Browns Stadium, partly because fans have been paying seat licensing fees since the stadium opened in 1999, and all Cuyahoga County residents have been paying "sin taxes" to help finance the debt on the stadium.

    FirstEnergy is not saying how much it is paying the Browns annually for the naming rights or the length of the contract.

    The deal would not only change the name of the $300 million building but also would give FirstEnergy exclusive rights in a wide range of joint marketing, from logos on tickets to television, newspaper and Internet advertising.

    The companies intend to launch a FirstEnergy Stadium web site in the near future and plan other joint marketing efforts, including philanthropic campaigns.

    A new logo has been designed for the partnership and will be featured in large signs at the top of stadium -- signs big enough to be seen by passing traffic but probably large enough to be seen from the Goodyear Blimp.

    The agreement will prevent other competing electric companies from advertising with the Browns. In other words, fans won't see signs from American Electric Power, of Columbus, which is among about half dozen outside companies now offering discounts rates to FirstEnergy customers.

    The Browns have a 30-year stadium lease that requires the city to put $850,000 a year into repairs. That money comes from a countywide tax on alcohol and tobacco sales. But the so-called sin tax expires in 2015.

    http://www.cleveland.com/browns/inde...ium_namin.html
    I support Kaepernick 100%

  • #2
    As always, we await the opinion of Charlie.
    sigpic
    Adopted Broncos:
    EmmanuelSanders

    Comment


    • #3
      I imagine Cleveland fans won't be too happy about it just like we don't like having our stadium called Invesco or Sports Authority.
      sigpic

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by InsaneBlaze23 View Post
        As always, we await the opinion of Charlie.
        Why? We already know he hates it

        I was hoping they'd name it the "Factory of Sadness"

        Comment


        • #5
          I was hoping Arrowhead would be renamed "Tampax," the sea of red would fit perfectly.

          But really, something like 23 or 24 stadiums have sponsors, not really a big deal...
          sigpic


          Comment


          • #6
            Well... one things for sure. That team needs some energy after watching Brandon Weeden play for them.
            sigpic

            "Maybe if he had an iron suit or a magic hammer...."

            Comment


            • #7
              Of course I hate it. But, I was expecting it.

              The new owner said he was selling the naming rights, converting it to a dome, adding cheerleaders, and then changing the jerseys.

              He wants to maximize his profits by any means necessary.
              The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

              The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

              Comment


              • #8
                It looks pretty cool:

                http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/media...6-0521164d4510





                And about the uniforms:

                http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...niform-changes

                Haslam told reporters the Browns have notified the NFL about their desire to "look at" the uniforms, per ESPNCleveland.com's Tony Grossi. Clearing any redesign with the league is a time-consuming process, and no on-field changes can be made until the 2014 season.

                Even if the look is updated, Haslam assured, "We're not touching the helmets."

                Keeping the helmets the same was a condition of the sale of the team, The Associated Press noted. Haslam also confirmed (in another bit of hard-hitting news) the Browns will not be adding cheerleaders to the mix. "They don't fit Cleveland," Haslam said.
                sigpic

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Charlie Brown View Post
                  Of course I hate it. But, I was expecting it.

                  The new owner said he was selling the naming rights, converting it to a dome, adding cheerleaders, and then changing the jerseys.

                  He wants to maximize his profits by any means necessary.
                  I would say he is the exact opposite of the Cleveland Browns. Sorry they have to put up with that...
                  sigpic

                  2014 Pick'Em Challenge Champion
                  Proud Fan of the 3 Time Super Bowl Champion Denver Broncos

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I am still waiting for Trojan Stadium. Has a nice fit, doesn't it?
                    sigpic

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Charlie Brown View Post
                      Of course I hate it. But, I was expecting it.

                      The new owner said he was selling the naming rights, converting it to a dome, adding cheerleaders, and then changing the jerseys.

                      He wants to maximize his profits by any means necessary.
                      Is he going to build another stadium,because I havent heard none of the sports guys in Cleveland talk about it.....
                      I support Kaepernick 100%

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        The cheerleader pool in cleveland is a little shallow. Auditions are just finishing up.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by assassin216 View Post
                          Is he going to build another stadium,because I havent heard none of the sports guys in Cleveland talk about it.....
                          He is not building a new stadium. I said he is converting the current stadium into a dome.
                          The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

                          The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Roddoliver View Post
                            http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...niform-changes

                            Haslam told reporters the Browns have notified the NFL about their desire to "look at" the uniforms, per ESPNCleveland.com's Tony Grossi. Clearing any redesign with the league is a time-consuming process, and no on-field changes can be made until the 2014 season.

                            Even if the look is updated, Haslam assured, "We're not touching the helmets."

                            Keeping the helmets the same was a condition of the sale of the team, The Associated Press noted. Haslam also confirmed (in another bit of hard-hitting news) the Browns will not be adding cheerleaders to the mix. "They don't fit Cleveland," Haslam said.
                            So, the Browns will exist for one more year. I wonder what the new name will be.
                            The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

                            The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by PowderAddict View Post
                              I was hoping they'd name it the "Factory of Sadness"
                              +1

                              Made me crack up.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X