Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NFL Concussion Lawsuit settled

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • NFL Concussion Lawsuit settled

    I didnt see it posted so I thought I would here is tweet from IBN and also says it on nfl.com

    Incarcerated Bob IBN ‏@incarceratedbob 6m *UPDATE* Each player after lawyer fees etc... stands to get around 138K from #NFL '' doesn't seem like it was worth it to settle
    My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

  • #2
    Any player who was diagnosed with concussion or all retired?
    The beatings will continue until morale improves....

    Comment


    • #3
      http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,4430080.story
      My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

      Comment


      • #4
        Sorry, thats all I can find right now, I'm sure there will be more to come
        My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

        Comment


        • #5
          They really earnt that money.

          Hope it was worth trying to ruin the league. A lot of fans will have lost respect for these players. I know I have.

          Comment


          • #6
            This should buy Clinton Portis a ton of ridiculous clothes.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by theMileHighGuy View Post
              This should buy Clinton Portis a ton of ridiculous clothes.
              Looking back I'm glad we traded him when we did. That was over money as well, holding out and demanding a new contract.

              He's just jumped on the band wagon and got a payday for nothing.

              Complete joke. That the trouble living in a world run by lawyers where suing normally pays off.

              Comment


              • #8
                Don't they sign some kind of waiver when they enter the league that says they know

                'this is a dangerous sport and you can get hurt'

                I dunno the details but if memory serves this thing might have been based on the NFL misleading players about concussions

                But truth is - it has impacted the game negatively and that's a shame. We haven't seen the end of it either.

                Guys don't go for the head now so subsequently players are getting their knees blown out ......

                its football man. Make them sign a waiver which they all will - so they can make their 100's of thousands at least and 10's of millions many times. Don't mislead them about health issues

                and don't keep changing the rules
                The beatings will continue until morale improves....

                Comment


                • #9
                  In one of the cases before this, players were claiming that the NFL has known about the dangers of concussions for far longer than they let on (they claimed since 1920) and that they were actively withholding information. A lot of people are bagging on Clinton Portis for this but what about the players from the 60s through 90s that were involved in this case? Are they just trying to make a quick buck, or are they trying to find some way to pay all of these medical bills they now have? The NFL does the bare minimum when it comes to taking care of retired players, many of them probably don't get anything.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I'd like to say I'm glad that this is all behind us, but I doubt it. Precedent has been set.

                    I wonder, has the league done enough to protect players from knee injury? Have they done enough to make sure players are aware they will walk like retired carpet layers when they're only 42?

                    How about that Patriots fan who died of cardiac arrest in their stadium after being denied a field pass? His wife is suing for $10,000,000.

                    The NFL did not warn me of the dangers of screaming after a bad call. I frightened my dog and now it has anxiety.
                    sigpic
                    Rogue Colts Fan

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
                      In one of the cases before this, players were claiming that the NFL has known about the dangers of concussions for far longer than they let on (they claimed since 1920) and that they were actively withholding information. A lot of people are bagging on Clinton Portis for this but what about the players from the 60s through 90s that were involved in this case? Are they just trying to make a quick buck, or are they trying to find some way to pay all of these medical bills they now have? The NFL does the bare minimum when it comes to taking care of retired players, many of them probably don't get anything.
                      With the way a lot of players in the 60s played, it's no surprise they had concussions. When you wrecklessly lead with your helmet into receivers who aren't looking every chance you get, concussions happen. I don't think the NFL should have to tell them doing that is risky, unless you think every gun should come with a 'do not fire at yourself' warning or the manufacturers are liable when someone does it. Where is the proof that the NFL was withholding information? What does this information tell that makes such a big difference beyond knowledge of the risks of concussions?

                      When you sue the one with the big money, people aren't going to believe you are doing it for some noble cause. It's like the women who sue the company for sexual harassment instead of pressing charges on the lower down person who actually committed the acts, ask yourself why they did that.

                      If team medical staff is clearing guys who should not be playing, they should be held accountable, not the whole NFL and certainly not the sport. It's time to stop this irrational expectation that people at the top can actually monitor everything done around a big business.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        The NFL settled instead of going to court, if they didn't withhold information from the players they would have went to court and won their case. The players can't go after the medical staff, it isn't realistic. Over 4500 players have sued the NFL, how many trainers would they have to sue? Not to mention they don't have the money to pay the player's medical bills. There have been thousands of players suing the NFL over the injuries they suffered. You don't think Jim McMahon would have retired sooner if he knew he would have dimentia in his 40s? Do you think the NFL was letting these players know that it is indeed a possibility? Do you think Dave Duerson would have played football if he knew he would commit suicide due to the concussions he suffered in the NFL? These are things that the NFL glossed over for decades, things that they should have been going over at the NFL rookie symposium.

                        Of course these guys know they can suffer serious injuries playing football and that they will suffer complications later in life because of it. But I don't think the players were informed of just how serious some of these injuries could be to them after their career. And the pension plan that the NFL does have is quite meager

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
                          The NFL settled instead of going to court, if they didn't withhold information from the players they would have went to court and won their case. The players can't go after the medical staff, it isn't realistic. Over 4500 players have sued the NFL, how many trainers would they have to sue? Not to mention they don't have the money to pay the player's medical bills. There have been thousands of players suing the NFL over the injuries they suffered. You don't think Jim McMahon would have retired sooner if he knew he would have dimentia in his 40s? Do you think the NFL was letting these players know that it is indeed a possibility? Do you think Dave Duerson would have played football if he knew he would commit suicide due to the concussions he suffered in the NFL? These are things that the NFL glossed over for decades, things that they should have been going over at the NFL rookie symposium.

                          Of course these guys know they can suffer serious injuries playing football and that they will suffer complications later in life because of it. But I don't think the players were informed of just how serious some of these injuries could be to them after their career. And the pension plan that the NFL does have is quite meager
                          Do you seriously believe that every time someone settles it means they are guilty of something? Individuals and businesses with big money settle all the time, not necessarily because they are guilty but because they think the other side has a chance and they don't want to risk losing more money. This is the war on football era, the game does not need anymore bad publicity. The NFL settled because they didn't want to set the precedent that players could sue and win. Perhaps the NFL should include a "it is your responsibility to learn about all the risks that come with playing the game" clause in waivers they make players sign.

                          Guys who are already making truckloads of money hold out demanding new contracts every year, maybe they should save some of that money to pay their medical bills. Maybe players don't know exactly what concussions can cause, but they should have known it can't be good. They should play smarter realizing they don't know the full extent of how bad it can be. This all sounds like zero accountability thinking to me.

                          The game will become flag football if we continue to go down this path, because the NFL will fear having to fork over a truckload of money every time a player gets injured, and colleges and high schools won't like losing money over it either. Fortunately for me, Semi-Pro Football should be just fine, because the leagues don't have any money for players to take so they won't sue. That is of course, unless congress gets involved.

                          It baffles my mind how anyone can have sympathy for players who love leading with their helmet on every defenseless receiver they see when they get a concussion. If they don't want concussions, they shouldn't do that. Imagine if James Harrison were to sue the NFL one day, would you side with him? Hating the thought of not being able to lead with the helmet, and blaming the NFL. What about dirty players who intentionally try and injure players on the field? Do they deserve a hand out from the NFL if they become the victim of their own philosophy?

                          The bottom line is, I'm just not buying it.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Gone are the days when a player can even pretend to not know the dangers of football. The NFL is doing everything reasonable to limit injuries. This kind of litigation shouldn't even be considered reasonable in the future.

                            How those players could see what happened to many boxers in their careers and not think that it could happen to them is beyond me. This lawsuit should have been thrown out unless the players could demonstrate that the NFL actively lied to make players believe concussions didn't have long lasting effects. Simply not passing along information shouldn't have been enough to justify letting the lawsuit go on as long as it did.
                            My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                            You Mad Bro?
                            Don’t Be A Mean Girl
                            Hell No!!! To the Texans Quarterback!!!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by broncolee View Post
                              Gone are the days when a player can even pretend to not know the dangers of football. The NFL is doing everything reasonable to limit injuries. This kind of litigation shouldn't even be considered reasonable in the future.

                              How those players could see what happened to many boxers in their careers and not think that it could happen to them is beyond me. This lawsuit should have been thrown out unless the players could demonstrate that the NFL actively lied to make players believe concussions didn't have long lasting effects. Simply not passing along information shouldn't have been enough to justify letting the lawsuit go on as long as it did.
                              This, unless the NFL was actually telling them lies, and/or forcing them to play through injuries that they knew held a high risk, they should have no liability. It is simply nonsense, especially for those who love to lead with the helmet. Those guys are completely to blame for their injuries, and I would even argue that the NFL should have no liability regardless of what they did for the injuries of players who do that(unless a coach told them to play like that, then that coach should be banned from the game).

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X