NFL Concussion Lawsuit settled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

- NFL concussion lawsuit: This time, players get what they deserve -

"Anita Brody, judge for the U.S. district court of eastern Pennsylvania, is a hero. Retired NFL players should celebrate this day in her honor every year, and rejoice in whatever compensation they may be receiving for the suffering their sport caused them.

Judge Brody on Wednesday did what the NFL should have done in the beginning, and what the roughly 4,500 plaintiffs in the concussion lawsuit should have compelled the league to do. Brody was handed the task of reviewing the $765 million settlement from last August that, at the time it was announced, seemed utterly inadequate." ...

It didn't feel like nearly enough to cover the potentially 20,000 retired players who might someday need the funds to save their lives or provide for their survivors— and not even close to enough for the NFL to even feel a nick, much less a sting .

Brody reviewed it, and in January she said no. Not good enough. Specifically, she said in her decision: “I am primarily concerned that not all retired N.F.L. football players who ultimately receive a qualifying diagnosis or their related claimants will be paid.”" ...

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/stor...mentia-illness

Comment

- Dorsett played football 'not knowing' dementia could result -

"Hall of Fame running back Tony Dorsett says he started playing football ''not knowing that the end was going to be like this'' - what he calls a frustrating battle with a condition caused by head trauma that can lead to dementia and depression.

The former Heisman Trophy winner at Pittsburgh and Super Bowl champion with the Dallas Cowboys was diagnosed in 2013 as having signs of chronic traumatic encephalopathy, a degenerative brain condition. Dorsett told Dallas-area radio station KTCK-AM 1310 last week that he loves football and it was ''good to me.''

''It's just unfortunate that I'm going through what I'm going through,'' Dorsett said. ''I'm in the fight, man. I'm not just laying around letting this overtake me. I'm hoping we can reverse this thing somehow.''

In a lengthy interview with The Associated Press in 2012, Dorsett discussed the toll his football career took on his body and brain, detailing a helmet-to-helmet hit in a 1984 game that knocked him out. He called it the hardest hit he ever took.

''That ain't the first time I was knocked out or been dazed over the course of my career, and now I'm suffering for it,'' Dorsett told the AP three years ago. ''And the NFL is trying to deny it.''

Dorsett and thousands of former players have accused the NFL of long hiding what it knew about concussions and brain injuries to keep players on the field. The 60-year-old Dorsett opted out of a settlement between the NFL and former players that could end up paying out $1 billion. He said he wanted his case to stand on its merits." ...

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/dorsett...2566--nfl.html

Comment

I don't feel bad for NFL players.

If you're too stupid to realize banging your head into things at full speed is going to scramble your eggs, then I don't know what to tell you.

Should've saved all your money. You certainly weren't worried about it when you were cashing your checks.

I've said it a million times. Want to take concussions out of the game? take their helmets away or go back to leather helmets with no faceguard. Institute a weight limit. Fine ANYONE that makes contact above the neck with any part of their body 50k.

Comment

Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post

If you're too stupid to realize banging your head into things at full speed is going to scramble your eggs, then I don't know what to tell you.

Should've saved all your money. You certainly weren't worried about it when you were cashing your checks.

I've said it a million times. Want to take concussions out of the game? take their helmets away or go back to leather helmets with no faceguard. Institute a weight limit. Fine ANYONE that makes contact above the neck with any part of their body 50k.

Amen Brother!
          sigpic

Comment

I agree CW

All these lawsuits seem to effecting the game in a negative way. They're gonna drag the national pastime down with their wanting some $$$

Granted the further back you go, the less money they made, but these guys make A LOT of money. And they probably DID sign waivers of some sort. Don't drag our game down with y'all.

Not to mention a lot of these 'injuries' can't be proven. There was lots of drug use, and other questionable lifestyles that clearly cannot be separated from on the field head trauma.

No I can't prove my point but it doesn't seem they can either.

I'm all for making the game as safe as possible, but at some point it's not the same game. How far will the NFL go? Look at boxing. You can't take punching out of boxing. It's one of the best sports there is. All fighting sports are some of the best sports there are. A big reason is that it's physical. Don't let that get lost in all this.

Just one fan's 2c
            The beatings will continue until morale improves....

Comment

Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post

LOL! I loved what you said in your first 2 paragraphs. It seems pretty ridiculous to hear players talk about how they didn't know the full effect of concussions and that the NFL hid it from them as a reason for a law suit. Maybe they didn't tell you ALL of the negative impacts they may have, but come on, are they really telling me they didn't think that banging your head into someone at full speed could cause head injuries?

Unless someone is mentally handicapped, I find it very hard to blame someone for not telling them that could have harmful effects. It's like saying 'you let me take a cake out of your oven without telling me that if I touched it with my bare hands it could burn my hand'.

I think suspending guys for games would be a more effective approach than fining players. If they still are able to have a lot of money left for what is considered a very 'expensive' lifestyle after the fine, they likely won't care. If I made the money some of these guys make, I'd pay someone $10,000 dollars to come bring me a soda if I didn't feel like walking across the street to a mini mart, if the worst someone gave me was a fine of 50K I would not likely care very much.

However, if you suspend a guy for say, a game for a blatant illegal hit they may get the message. They could do a doubling approach. 1st offense-1 game, 2nd offense-2 games, 3rd offense-4 games 4th offense-8 games, 5th offense-16 games and so on. If a guy continually offends and ignores the rules, they will be spending a lot of time off the field and not be able to deliver illegal hits in games very often.

Offend 5 times and you miss the whole season, and by that point a team may cut a guy, and it doesn't even have to be because of some concern for player safety, it could be because he is rarely on the field and in their opinion not worth the money because of it. If even after that they offend again, it's 2 seasons, then 4, then 8(I couldn't imagine someone still being in the league after serving a total of 15 seasons of a suspension, lol).

Instead of making more rules, the NFL should actually effectively enforce the rules they have in place now, and make harsher punishments for breaking them. Players would likely start thinking about changing their habits.

It's not like you can't still hit hard with the rules, that's what some guys seem not to understand, you just can't hit them in the helmet.

Comment

Originally posted by dizzolve View Post
                I agree CW

All these lawsuits seem to effecting the game in a negative way. They're gonna drag the national pastime down with their wanting some $$$

Granted the further back you go, the less money they made, but these guys make A LOT of money. And they probably DID sign waivers of some sort. Don't drag our game down with y'all.

Not to mention a lot of these 'injuries' can't be proven. There was lots of drug use, and other questionable lifestyles that clearly cannot be separated from on the field head trauma.

No I can't prove my point but it doesn't seem they can either.

I'm all for making the game as safe as possible, but at some point it's not the same game. How far will the NFL go? Look at boxing. You can't take punching out of boxing. It's one of the best sports there is. All fighting sports are some of the best sports there are. A big reason is that it's physical. Don't let that get lost in all this.

Just one fan's 2c
                I think a big key to keeping it a physical game will be good head placement. One thing that coaches should stop teaching is the 'get your head across their body' technique for angle tackling. It's extremely dangerous imo, because of how easy it is to get it into someone's chest if you don't get it all the way across. If it becomes too much of a habit to always try and do that, you could go for it instinctively even when there is slim chance of it happening.

There is almost never a time when a defender is in good position for that on an angle tackle. Head up, yes, at an angle no. If a back is a smart runner, they should try very hard to not let a defender get their head across their body...out run them, juke if your in bad position, contort your body in a way that makes it tough and etc.

I've been told to try that technique in angle tackling drills, and I never try it, you can tackle without doing that. After a practice, I'd rather go home and watch TV or something else I like than go to the ER at Sunrise hospital for emergency neck surgery. Getting good habits of where to put your head when making a tackle IMO is key in keeping tackling involved while reducing the risk of injury.

Comment

Working...
                X