Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Columnist: Vikings should trade Peterson

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...eterson:paper:

What do you guys think about this? Obviously the chances of this actually happening are pretty much none. And even if it did happen the vikings would be looking for a high 1st round draft pick and most likely a 2nd. Just out of interest , what team do you think the vikings would trade him to?

Obviously this isn't going to happen, especially since they just picked up Josh Freeman and they obviously have hope that he can be a good enough QB to actually take advantage of the attention that Peterson gets, which is really all they need to be a decent offense. But it's fun to think about...

It wouldn't be to a team in his division, that's for sure. Probably out of the conference, too.

You're looking for a team that has a good defense without much at RB. Miami would probably be a good candidate. They're 31st in rushing, have a decent QB and an adequate defense. Give them a transcendent RB to go with their WRs, which aren't bad by any means, and the passing game will really open up. That would give them the ability to move the ball and put up points. Peterson would also allow them stay on the field, keeping the defense fresh, and to run clock late.

The Steelers are 32nd in the rush but I feel like they have too many positions to fill at this point and it doesn't seem like trading so all those draft picks is something they would be willing to do. Jaguars, Ravens and Browns all have bottom 10 run games, too. Jacksonville sucks, though, the Ravens aren't going to give up on Ray Rice this early and the Browns just traded away Richardson. Then again, maybe that's just because they thought he sucks. He hasn't been doing much in Indianapolis and Peterson does seem like he would be a great fit in Cleveland, no? They do have the additional 1st Round Pick to trade away. If they were to make the move, it would basically be Richardson and a 2nd for Peterson, which given how good their defense is right now, seems like a decent move if they can get anything, anything at QB.

Perhaps the Jets but they're actually 11th in rushing right now thanks to Bilal Powell's play. The Chargers are the only team from the AFC in the bottom half of the league in rushing and although I think he could do wonders for their offense, it's their defense that needs the help. They couldn't afford to make the move.

Atlanta just signed Steven Jackson and he's coming back from injury soon. The Giants are selling right now and clearly need help at more than just the RB position. St. Louis just let Steven Jackson go and wasn't doing much even when they did have him. Tampa Bay sucks. Dallas has Murray and although it seems like a Jerry Jones move, they need to keep their picks. Redskins have Morris. Seems like the most likely team out of the NFC would be Arizona. They've got a solid defense, Fitz and you could argue a QB that would be good with Peterson at RB, although you have to worry about the offensive line. Then again, they have a new coach and he likely sees lot of areas that he would like to change and doesn't want to give up too much of his future to get Peterson to go with the mediocre pieces he has now.

To me, the top candidates would be:

Dolphins
    Browns
    Jets
    Cardinals
    Last edited by Maharishineo; 10-18-2013, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Vikings won't trade him. Also, the Browns would be stupid if they traded for him.
      The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

Comment

Has any team ever traded a RB, the year after he had 2,000 rushing yards?
        "Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion." Jimmy Ruffin

Comment

Should consider it.

AP is awesome, but he has maybe 3-4 elite years left.

If a team traded them a haul, why not?

Comment

Originally posted by ERoyal248 View Post
            Should consider it.

AP is awesome, but he has maybe 3-4 elite years left.

If a team traded them a haul, why not?
            Because teams aren't going to give you a haul for an injury-prone RB, especially since 90% of teams are using RB by committee
            "Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion." Jimmy Ruffin

Comment

Doubt they'd do it. Vikes don't see themselves as a team that needs to sell their best players to stock up for next season. They see themselves as a team a QB away from contending the NFC North. Which could be true, they have a number one wide out in Jennings, they have a running back in Peterson. They have a decent defense, and they have probably the most stable OL in the NFC North.

Could Freeman be that guy? Maybe. But if he isn't they won't sell AP, they'll hope they can get a good QB in the draft.

Something I think could be more realistic than a AP trade; Say Chase Keenum really blows the doors off as the Texans new QB. What if they shop Schaub or cut him? If Freeman doesn't pan out, they could look at Schaub.
              sigpic
              Adopted Broncos:
              EmmanuelSanders

Comment

I'm tellin' ya, If I was a syndicated columnist I would write an article suggesting that the Patriots should trade Tom Brady.

BOOM.....10 million hits.
                sigpic
                Rogue Colts Fan

Comment

Originally posted by HUMCALC View Post
                  Because teams aren't going to give you a haul for an injury-prone RB, especially since 90% of teams are using RB by committee
                  Since he entered the league he has played 94 games and missed just 7.

Considering he is a work horse back thats pretty remarkable.

To the OP. Why would a team trade its best player who has 4-5 seasons in him ? If Ponder progresses or they sort out the QB position they could make a SB run next season.

Comment

Originally posted by Indy View Post
                    I'm tellin' ya, If I was a syndicated columnist I would write an article suggesting that the Patriots should trade Tom Brady.

BOOM.....10 million hits.
                    Thats the trouble with alot of Journo's nowadays... unless they are top notch..... given the choice between being good at their job or getting hits they choose the 2nd one.

Comment

Working...
                    X