Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Larry Fitzgerald trade in play after '13

From ESPN (Adam Schefter):

A trade for Arizona Cardinals Pro Bowl wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald will be in play this offseason, multiple league executives sources said, in the likely event a deal is not completed before Tuesday's trade deadline.

Larry Fitzgerald's salary cap figure for the 2014 season will put a trade in play for him and the Arizona Cardinals this offseason, sources said.
    Fitzgerald's salary-cap number balloons to $18 million next season and the team could save $8 million by trading him.

Arizona and Fitzgerald will either have to agree to a restructured contract or a trade that would allow each side to go its own way, with the wide receiver finishing his career on a franchise that has won more consistently than Arizona.

This season, Fitzgerald, 30, has 32 receptions for 422 yards and four touchdowns (matching his total from 2012), his first with quarterback Carson Palmer. He has battled a left hamstring injury this season.

Last season, in which the Cardinals started four different quarterbacks, he struggled to 71 catches for 798 yards, snapping his streak of seasons with at least 1,000 yards receiving at five.

He is the franchise's all-time leader in several categories, including receptions (796), yards receiving (10,835) and receiving touchdowns (81).
    So of course I looked at this and started thinking...but I'm silly b/c clearly he's too expensive for Denver. What was I thinking?

That led me to think about who could afford Fitz....it looks like the teams with the most cap space are the Browns, Jags, Dolphins, Bills, and Eagles. The Browns might actually make the most sense since they have a very solid defense (anchored by guys like Kruger, Haden, etc.), an improving offense (Josh Gordon and Jordan Cameron are blossoming), and are an above-average QB away from being a good team. That QB doesn't even need to be a Manning, Brady, Brees, or Rodgers. Maybe a Cutler or a Romo?

Unfortunately, I don't think any of those teams have a chance of winning a ring even w/ Fitzgerald. Larry Fitzgerald, DeSean Jackson, a healthy (if ever) Maclin, and Lesean McCoy would be lethal on the Eagles' offense, but no QB and no defense will doom the team.

Where do you think Fitz goes after 2013? Does he stay in Arizona? I've always really had a great deal of respect for him and wish he had a chance at a ring (as I feel about Champ).

A cutler led O with fitz, gordon, and Cameron? The Browns might actually be scary then.
    sigpic

Comment

Eric Decker

for Fitzpatrick

(only if Manning is still going for 2+years)

I recently heard maybe on The Drive - Decker is going to cost 9m but it wasn't clear how that's spread out or if its just bonus or what

Either way that's a lot of money.

That would be so cool to have DT Welker and Fitz

----

this isn't Decker hate. We're talking about one of the top receivers in the NFL.
      The beatings will continue until morale improves....

Comment

I just don't think we can afford Fitz even if we were to drop/let go in FA Decker and say, Andre Caldwell. Fitz is costing $18 million a year, Decker is costing minimal right now. Even though that's undervaluing him, I still can't imagine we'd give Decker $9 million a year - he's not worth that much. Plus we still have to extend Miller, re-sign Woodyard, etc.

Comment

Total fantasy trade but it would be fun to imaging! That O would be beyond unstoppable ( If the Oline does all fall apart)

Hmmm cover DT? No wait Fitz.....uhhh JT is out there......crap we forgot Welker.... Oh ya they just flexed Moreno out too......eeek.
          sigpic

Comment

Welcome to NE Fitzgerald.

Comment

Originally posted by RandomVariable View Post
              Sadly I could see that happening
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EddieMac View Post
                A cutler led O with fitz, gordon, and Cameron? The Browns might actually be scary then.
                I don't think Cutler is going anywhere (and I doubt the front office wants him) and the same goes with Fitzgerald. The FO wants to build via the draft. That's why they loaded up on picks.
                The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

Comment

He needs to get out of AZ and get with a good QB. He's wasting his talent there.
                  Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

Arizona doesn't want to trade Fits according to ESPN, they would like him to retire a Cardinal.

Comment

Originally posted by ELWAY421 View Post
                      Arizona doesn't want to trade Fits according to ESPN, they would like him to retire a Cardinal.
                      That's too bad for him.
                      Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

Originally posted by dizzolve View Post
                        Eric Decker

for Fitzpatrick

(only if Manning is still going for 2+years)

I recently heard maybe on The Drive - Decker is going to cost 9m but it wasn't clear how that's spread out or if its just bonus or what

Either way that's a lot of money.

That would be so cool to have DT Welker and Fitz

----

this isn't Decker hate. We're talking about one of the top receivers in the NFL.
                        Decker wont cost 9 million, thats number 1 money.

ANd we arent getting Fitz, dont have the cap room.

Comment

Originally posted by RandomVariable View Post
                          NE doesnt have that type of cap room, would be scary though.

Comment

Today Card's Ownership profoundly stated that Mr. Fitzgerald was not being considered for a trade.
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X