Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tavon Austin Flop

By Dan Hanzus (from NFL.com)

This is not a post about Tavon Austin's breakout performance in the NFL.

Midway through his rookie season, we're still waiting for that. But the St. Louis Rams wide receiver did garner some attention during Monday's loss to the Seattle Seahawks, thanks to acting that made the guy from "The Room" look like Daniel Day-Lewis.

Austin was jogging off the field after a fair catch, when Seahawks linebacker Heath Farwell and Rams safety Matt Giordano got tangled up in Austin's neighborhood. Light bulb fully illuminated above his helmet, Austin flopped to the turfed and feigned a nasty head-to-head collision.

As Chris Wesseling pointed out in our "What We Learned" post from Monday night, Austin drew plenty of laughs but no flag from officials. We loved ESPN's reaction shot of Rams coach Jeff Fisher, who just stared out at the field trying to make sense of what he just saw.

Like Austin's flop itself, this was a hopeless endeavor.
    LOL - love it....basically what Andrew Luck did (though, don't get me wrong, I concede Vickerson shouldn't have even been in the vicinity and should have known better). I guess since they're levying fines for flops in the NBA the NFL figured they'd pick it up...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...but-no-laundry

They should suspend players for this. These flops corrupt the integrity of the game. Players are cheating to manipulate the officials. I think it's much worse than a helmet-to-helmet moment that happens in the blink of an eye. The NFL is already filled with finesse rules. Add the flops and this game is getting closer to soccer.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Roddoliver View Post
      They should suspend players for this. These flops corrupt the integrity of the game. Players are cheating to manipulate the officials. I think it's much worse than a helmet-to-helmet moment that happens in the blink of an eye. The NFL is already filled with finesse rules. Add the flops and this game is getting closer to soccer.
      This would not really be necessary if there was competency with the officiating. It is kind of a shame a Ref cannot be smart enough to recognize a flop.
      sigpic

Comment

Tavon should learn from this guy

This is what you would call next level flop.

Comment

Team Broncos!
          2013 Adopt A Bronco Peyton Manning|#18|QB

Comment

OK......I thought this was about Austin's lack of performance, after being proclaimed the #1 rookie offensive threat during the offseason. He has 31 receptions, which sounds pretty good (about 4 per game), but for a measly 207 yards, or 6.7 per catch. I watched last night's game, and saw very little to get excited about. I'm sure he'll develop, and become a better player.......but so far he has not impressed.

This is a case where most analysts may have been misled by what they thought they saw, at least for the first 1/2 of the season.

Bottom line, its a shame to see a team play such solid D, but lack so much on the O side, given they have a backup QB.
            Last edited by CanDB; 10-29-2013, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GoManning View Post

LOL!!!! that is awesome!!
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X