Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Phantom calls yesterday were outrageous.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phantom calls yesterday were outrageous.

I watch the Redskins Chargers games, and the call were terrible. Offensive pass interference was called, and they never even touched each other. Texans Indy game Johnson catches ball sides out of bound 2 seconds later defender pulls ball out, ruled incomplete pass. it's getting to the point, were the commentators don't know what to say. But last night Chris Collinsworth finally spoke out about some of it.

One thing that is consistent you are allowed to mug our receivers.

Comment

Yes, it's getting ridiculous. Last night in the Indy game, that fumble recovery should have gone to Indy. Even after the review and they still gave it to HOU, I was shocked. As much as I wanted HOU to win, that was ridiculous.

On the other side, they call a ridiculous PI on HOU for a tickey
      tack grabbing of the shirt for about a second was unbelievable. That extended Indy's drive and gave them a TD.

Then when Colts played us, their DB's were draped all over us, no PI's.

The league needs to do something about this. There has to be some kind of fines or suspension on their part as well. Can't take it.
      Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

Wrong section.
        But I watched the Chargers-Washington game, it was pretty sad how bad the refs where. They missed an obvious fumble the could've cost Wash but they ended up winning anyway. That no catch Johnson made might've also changed the outcome of the game. Really this season looks like the replacement refs, they are the ones deciding the game not the play on the field.
        sigpic
        Adopted Broncos:
        EmmanuelSanders

Comment

I have no idea what is pass interference or a catch anymore. I guess it depend on what team you play for, or what the score is as to what part of what rule the ref's decide to apply.

Watching a game I have no interest in, it is clear that the officiating clearly and consistently, inconsistent.
          Big Orange Nation, college home of PFM :thumb: and other notable current and former Broncos

Comment

Originally posted by SixStringMadnes View Post
            I have no idea what is pass interference or a catch anymore. I guess it depend on what team you play for, or what the score is as to what part of what rule the ref's decide to apply.

Watching a game I have no interest in, it is clear that the officiating clearly and consistently, inconsistent.
            Agreed are the replacement refs back this year?

Comment

I watched the most of 3 games yesterday.
              Panthers vs. Falcons
              Patriots vs. Steelers
              Texans vs. Colts

I'd say out of the three the Panthers/Falcons was the best officiated, with the Texans/Colts being the worst.

They are human and they make mistakes, but my biggest complaint is the various interpretations to various rules such as the catch vs. Non catch as explimfied on the overturned Andre Johnson catch.

They need to address/overhaul that rule in the off season so there is no question in anyone's mind what is and isn't a catch.

Another thing they need to address is the sideline action by quarterbacks. Houston was flagged for RTP last night when Luck is near the sideline and makes a throw. Contact was made in bounds. They call that yet they miss the Jaguar going low on Manning's legs....

Again they are human and they are never going to be perfect but they really need to simplify the rule book.

Comment

They also need to change the PI calls. Sometimes teams are draping and mauling WR's and last night in the Indy/HOU game they called PI when a shirt was grabbed for about a second extending INDY's drive for a TD. It was ridiculous.
                Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

I think the blame should also be on the rules committee. There is a lot of rules and yes the refs are trained to know them, but gotta admit the rules committee isn't helping and neither is coaches whining to refs pre-game. By that I mean coaches whom are told by other coaches that a team did something in a previous game that's against the rules, so that coach can inform the refs and the refs spend time looking for that play. An example is the Patriots-Jets game where the Pats player pushed his teammate over the pile. That's something that happens a lot of punts, field goals, and goal line rushes. But it was called that day because a coach whined about it pre-game.

And it's only gonna get worst. The committee is gonna come up with something to try and prevent knee injuries(Brandon Merriweather can be faulted for that), so along with looking for head shots, they'll be looking for knee shots. They are only human and are being asked a lot.
                  sigpic
                  Adopted Broncos:
                  EmmanuelSanders

Comment

Unless you stand back up and hand the ball to the referee it will be ruled an incomplete pass. You must complete the process.

Comment

Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post
                      They also need to change the PI calls. Sometimes teams are draping and mauling WR's and last night in the Indy/HOU game they called PI when a shirt was grabbed for about a second extending INDY's drive for a TD. It was ridiculous.
                      I can see why they threw the flag but it does pale in comparison to what the Colts DBs got away with a couple of weeks ago.

A good DB coach is going to have scouting reports/tendencies on the officiating crews and coach up his crew each week on what they can and cannot get away with and test the officials early.

Comment

Originally posted by allthings18 View Post
                        I can see why they threw the flag but it does pale in comparison to what the Colts DBs got away with a couple of weeks ago.

A good DB coach is going to have scouting reports/tendencies on the officiating crews and coach up his crew each week on what they can and cannot get away with and test the officials early.
                        I agree. every ref will have certain tendencies. It is up to each coaching staff to coach their team to be cautious when playing with a certain officiating crew and avoid their standard bread and butter calls.

What I personally have an issue with is the rule committee. I will go back to the helmet to helmet hit which Woodyard was fined for. Why was Woodyard fined and Reed from the Redskins not? If a helmet to helmet hit/ contact is a fine-able offence then why is/was it not called on the field? why not fine ALL players for helmet to helmet hits? To me - IMO the reviewers of these plays seem to just pick out one or two examples of bad plays and fine them. Rather then send a stern message by collecting all dangerous plays and fining them.

Another rule which will need to be addressed is the mobile QB's. When a Qb like luck or Griffin scrambles and makes a pass right near the sideline he should be fair game to level. If you want to run the ball or run with the ball then the protection afforded to a pocket passer should be lifted. Perhaps a rule should be that if a QB has gained more than one yard on the ground then they are treated as a RB. Perhaps not a perfect rule but at least its a start.

Comment

Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post
                          Yes, it's getting ridiculous. Last night in the Indy game, that fumble recovery should have gone to Indy. Even after the review and they still gave it to HOU, I was shocked. As much as I wanted HOU to win, that was ridiculous.

Sure looks like his hand is out of bounds and there's a finger barely touching the ball. (And I suspect in the previous frame, his hand is touching the ground and his other hand is contacting even more of the ball) Ridiculous? Really?
                          "This is a terrible thread and I've negged the OP." -CoryWinget81
                          "If the ACL is torn ... Von will in fact miss next year as well." -PFM2013

Comment

Originally posted by dbjeff View Post

Sure looks like his hand is out of bounds and there's a finger barely touching the ball. (And I suspect in the previous frame, his hand is touching the ground and his other hand is contacting even more of the ball) Ridiculous? Really?
                            During the animation, you see the ball move after it nicks his finger too. It was the right call.

I hated the roughing the passer called against Houston. Luck was scrambling, leaps to throw a pass, and gets barely bumped before his arm even finishes the motion. 15 yard penalty because Luck was almost out of bounds.

In other words, you can't do anything to a QB that's trying to beat you. You have to let him throw the pass.

I would have thought the call was ridiculous if it happened to a team playing against Peyton too.

Comment

I did see the Houston fumble, should have been a fumble I agree. I missed the Andre Johnson catch that was called incomplete.

As for the pass interference differences, well that's pretty much the NFL. Every team gets iffy calls/no calls when it comes to PIs, and every teams fans think their teams is the only one who ever gets them when it happens lol.

I tend to lean towards let them play, as long as it's not a flat out mugging past the 5. I do agree it should be consistent ideally speaking, but a game officiated by humans will always be prone to human error.

The PI rules favor the offense greatly, and some receivers actually do things to try and draw flags on purpose. That's the kind of crap I don't like, I can't sympathize with a receiver getting a no call in this era, unless it was a complete mugging that was missed.

Comment

Working...
                              X