Transparent Accountability for NFL Officials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transparent Accountability for NFL Officials

I've said it before and I'm sure many agree ~nfl officiating quality and consistency needs to improve. One missed penalty can and has been the difference in so many games. The impact officiating has on the game is really scary if you think about it.

I can only assume Manning is frustrated with the no-calls he's getting this year. That is probably why he reported ankle yesterday. Ankle probably always was fine. Hopefully Manning brings a little accountability to the officiating without even saying the word. Whether intentional or not it should pay off. I hope it gets in the head of the officials. They watch ESPN lol.

Manning's MRI report is great news for Denver today. And I'm glad Manning was forthright about reporting it. Look if the refs wont call the call because it's the right thing to do, maybe they'll start calling it because they were influenced by media or whatever else that influences them. Does that sound implausible? This is the faith I have in NFL officials.(barring a few crews that have my respect)

I don't suggest Manning will get calls that are unfair - but he may start finally getting the the calls that SHOULD HAVE been called - and to this point - have not been.

I admit, last year's post-season officiating performance in Denver still has left a bad taste in my mouth. It's has brought more of my attention toward officiating quality than usual. I'd rather just watch 2 teams compete to be honest. I haven't been impressed. I know it's not easy, but with replay and the new crew conferencing they seem to do now - just get the calls right.

The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.

In the Sound FX vid above Triplett was measuring for a first down and I swear it looked like he couldn't be happier that it was a 1st down - he exclaimed FIRST DOWN....... it was so unusual that the defender even said to him - WOW you sounded really excited on that sign! -almost makes you think you're a fan of one of the teams or something. What a strange dude.

check this out ....
    Get breaking NFL Football News, our in-depth expert analysis, latest rumors and follow your favorite sports, leagues and teams with our live updates.

There needs to be real Official NFL transparent accountability. You'd think with all the gambling money poured in and the simple fact that the NFL is King - there would be. To think these guys went on strike last year disgusts me. - if it wasn't for a few EPIC blunders of replacement ref calls, I can't help but wonder if we'd still be watching the same replacements.

Before I completely throw the refs under the bus there are alternate explanations for the subpar officiating quality and consistency. Goodell's reactions to player health issues in the past few years? more? was knee jerk. What does he do? He goes and changes all these rules in the name of "safety". Many of these rules are completely subjective and most are not minor infractions either- we're talking automatic first downs, 15y+ penalties that really impact the outcomes of these games. So this 'pressure' trickles down from Goodell to the refs to the players and it's ruining the game in my opinion.

I'm not saying incorporating safety rules into the game is a bad thing, but it's obviously not being implemented properly - maybe it's too much too soon. A knee jerk reaction. Projecting this image of reform is directly impacting the quality of officiating which effects outcomes of games. Do you detect any kind of reduction in injuries? I can't tell either way. I think stats have been put together somewhere. But even those stats have been rendered useless because of CTE I think is what they call it. These kinds of injuries don't manifest till years after

I could be way off - but why am I having to search for a reason in the first place. Be invisible refs. Make the game fair. Stay out of the way. And NFL needs to hold them as transparently accountable as they hold the players and everyone else.

~I've put this in Broncos Football because the Broncos have been on the wrong end of this bad officiating for a while.
    The beatings will continue until morale improves....

I don't approve of virtually anything Roger Goodell has done. The guy has no credibility with me and the same could be said about his credibility with the players. The referees' performances have suffered due to Roger Goodell's meddling, if you ask me.

Comment

I'm not saying I disagree refs are bad. But I'm not sure they are worse than ever. I think it's always been pretty bad. It's human error. It exists in all sports.

If you think the NFL is bad I really hope you aren't a fan of the NBA. You would have ulcers watching games.

I don't think anyone should be surprised that a ref would be excited about a team getting a first down though. I know refs are supposed to be objective. But do we really expect the refs in a game to be the only 6 guys out of millions of Americans without a rooting interest in a single NFL team? Sounds like a ridiculous request.

I remember news last year about a replacement ref that was rooting for a team. I bet a lot of regular refs do too. They just do a much better more professional job of hiding it. Like not putting it on their facebook.

Officiating in sports is something fans have to live with and will always complain about. I do it with my teams like crazy. But like someone said in a previous thread it's usually grass is greener on the other side.

I don't have nearly as much problem with officiating in other games as I do in Broncos games. Sure I notice and comment when some calls are bad. But not nearly as much as with the Broncos. If I do it's because I have a rooting interest in one team or despise the other team.
      sigpic

Comment

Well, I'm not a stats kind of girl, but it seems to me that the injuries are piling up around the league at a breakneck pace.

Wish I knew what the answer was to all of this. It should be a fair game on both sides of the ball. At least that's what should be assumed each time the coin is tossed at the start of the game, right?
        Last edited by southern cross; 11-11-2013, 01:52 PM. Reason: oops!

Comment

Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
          I don't think anyone should be surprised that a ref would be excited about a team getting a first down though. I know refs are supposed to be objective. But do we really expect the refs in a game to be the only 6 guys out of millions of Americans without a rooting interest in a single NFL team? Sounds like a ridiculous request.

I remember news last year about a replacement ref that was rooting for a team. I bet a lot of regular refs do too. They just do a much better more professional job of hiding it. Like not putting it on their facebook.
          In a vacuum I agree, but I've seen Triplett many many times. This is just added to all the other headscratching antics he's displayed. It's almost like taunting lol.

Comment

The problem with almost all of new rules are that they make the official make judgment calls ... the more that officials have to "judge" whether it is a penalty or not the closer the NFL gets to the WWF or whatever they call "wrestling" today. Luiget was running with his head down at know or lower level when he hit Manning ... the league says it was a legal hit; baloney... it isn't most of the time (judgment call) and I just saw the play 3 times.

Need to quit adding rules that are judgment call penalties. Maybe get rid of some rules?
            sigpic

Comment

Oh look

Jeff Triplett is refereeing tonite

Already seen a hideous 30 yard PI call ... luckily it didn't turn into points but obviously it did turn into field position after a punt down at the 1y

Even Charles Gruden says

"I don't even know what Pass Interference is anymore"

EDIT: safety - it did turn into points

2 for the safety
              3 for the follow up (punt kickoff possession)
              and a whole bunch of TOP
              Last edited by dizzolve; 11-11-2013, 07:35 PM.

Comment

THey should have to disclose financial statements every year....

I swear some of these refs are taking pay offs

Comment

The penalty wouldn't change the fact that Manning got hit.

The Broncos haven't been "unfairly" penalized more than any other team this year. Plain and simple.

The refs face the league every Monday for their accountability. They get fined, get yelled at, and sometimes serve suspensions or only get blacked out games. They owe the fans nothing from a transparency standpoint. None of us could do that job at all; while that doesn't exempt them from critique, we also have no idea what measures of punishment they face.

Comment

Originally posted by Doogansquest View Post
                    No, but much like speeding in your car..you get a ticket it sends a message that the rules will be enforced. I mean ..using that logic...lets not call helmet to helmet anymore...its not going to change it from happening right?

The Broncos haven't been "unfairly" penalized more than any other team this year. Plain and simple.

The refs face the league every Monday for their accountability. They get fined, get yelled at, and sometimes serve suspensions or only get blacked out games. They owe the fans nothing from a transparency standpoint. None of us could do that job at all; while that doesn't exempt them from critique, we also have no idea what measures of punishment they face.
                    Ya, I mean why should we expect professionals to do their jobs? I cant juggle but if I pay to see one they better juggle their butts off.

But again we cant even get the president who promised to be transparent to be transparent....so ya I see your point....

Comment

This whole topic is so interesting and seems to have many facets.

The league is getting sued for injuries to players; specifically head injuries.

It is a business, and the league is interested in making money and keeping appearances, thus Roger is setting standards for "safety". The problem comes from not knowing the consequences of said new standards. If you can't hit someone high, then people go low and you will see more leg/ankle injuries. If the ref's are calling any hit that touches a helmet/facemask a personal foul where else can you go all out safely BUT the knees/ankles?

There are so many pressures. Owners and the league getting yelled at for safety, players getting yelled at/fined for penalties and dirty play, and refs being asked to do more while also calling bad penalties.

It's almost as if the whole thing spirals from money like usual. League doesn't want more lawsuits, they create rules which the refs must enforce for safety which causes players to play differently which causes different injuries.

Heck, a rule like horsecollar made a big difference. Wasn't that a signature move of certain players in the old days? Once that went away they figured out other ways to get big hits.

Comment

Originally posted by sstoner View Post
                        But again we cant even get the president who promised to be transparent to be transparent....so ya I see your point....
                        I was actually pontificating this to a friend yesterday. The funny thing is that he/democrats can claim more transparency simply from the fallout of Anonymous/Edward Snowden bringing to light some of the things that the US never even knew was going on but suspected. Also with the rollout of Obamacare and the "lets see whats in it after passed", they can claim they are transparent because now we get to see what is in it....

Amusing, sad, and frustrating, but true.

Comment

Originally posted by Doogansquest View Post
                          Not in that game - but it would in the next game maybe. And when it's not called you can all but guarantee a similar hit next week.

Nope it's a league wide issue.

The refs face the league every Monday for their accountability. They get fined, get yelled at, and sometimes serve suspensions or only get blacked out games.... we also have no idea what measures of punishment they face.
                          Exactly - we get no clear accountability - there's no weekly press release that I know of.

They owe the fans nothing from a transparency standpoint. None of us could do that job at all; while that doesn't exempt them from critique...
                          I think some of us COULD do that job. I'm not saying I could - but you can't make that statement. It's not rocket science. With proper training some of us COULD do that job. We're not talking about playing QB in the NFL.

It's not a matter of "owing the fans". It's a matter of integrity. Just because they have their meetings in a smoky back room doesn't mean they're spinning it - so why not have the meeting in the front room for those interested. And leave any question out of it. I'm not suggesting the refs intentionally slant calls to one side or the other. But bad calls change outcomes of games. I wanna see the teams settle it on the field without 'bad calls' deciding it instead.

Comment

Someone always has to go political, always. Tally the good calls vs. the bad calls in a game and my guess is there a more good calls. Take out your bias and there is even more good calls.

They aren't perfect and I think if you pay so much attention to refs that you know them it's probably you that has the problem. They get scrutinized by the public, the players, coaches, and then get graded on every play. They spend their week getting critiqued. Does anyone on this board get that much scrutiny on their job? Doubtful.

You've basically got seven guys and the only reason you know the name of one is because he announces the penalties. Most of the guys actually throwing the flag you have no clue who they are.

I would also suspect that the NFL does some financial monitoring. But, people can always beat the system.

Lastly, how quickly we forget replacement refs.
                            Anybody know how to get out of Plan A? - Elway

Comment

Originally posted by MegaOrange View Post
                              Someone always has to go political, always.
                              I'm fairly sure we were goofing off.

Tally the good calls vs. the bad calls in a game and my guess is there a more good calls. Take out your bias and there is even more good calls.
                              If you believe this to be true, provide proof. Please don't tell someone to provide proof for you.

They aren't perfect and I think if you pay so much attention to refs that you know them it's probably you that has the problem. They get scrutinized by the public, the players, coaches, and then get graded on every play. They spend their week getting critiqued. Does anyone on this board get that much scrutiny on their job? Doubtful.
                              This part of the post attempts to attack someones job and assume that their job is not stressful, while also attempting to put someone on the defensive to say "hey my jobs hard". This argument is incorrect. Simply because of scrutiny, we should ignore problems?

You've basically got seven guys and the only reason you know the name of one is because he announces the penalties. Most of the guys actually throwing the flag you have no clue who they are.
                              This is an assumption. I would imagine that many people know refs simply from watching long enough and paying enough attention to the games over the years.

I would also suspect that the NFL does some financial monitoring. But, people can always beat the system.
                              Probably do. Yes people can beat the system.

Lastly, how quickly we forget replacement refs.
                              Simply because the replacement refs were bad does not mean that the normal refs cannot be critiqued. "How quickly we forget how horrific of a poster x was" does not mean you cannot say "notwithit you're wrong on these points" to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X