Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

18 Game Season

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Yeah, the NFL wants to add two more teams to each side in the playoffs. I suppose they eliminate a bye round and do 4 games per side?

    Whatever. It's dumb and a waste.

    Both college and pro are going to be ruined by the adding of more games.

    4-way playoff in college + bowls is what it should have always been. But they won't stop there. Before you know it, every obscure fanbase, tv network, etc. will want it to go to 8 games, thus watering the tournament and the regular season down.

    Adding 2 regular season games and 2 more playoff teams per side will mean more games with players resting/no contests. I suppose the media is fine with that because it will allow them to forge a focused narrative on something different each week, but it will bore a lot of fans.

    The regular season games will become less important, playing to earn a bye will be obsolete...

    It's all bad.

    Maybe it's the government's way of bringing down the power level of the independent franchise. Drain it of it's popularity by shoving it down people's throats; it will cost the NFL more, but people will stop paying as much for it, and it will slowly decline.

    Like baseball.
    Last edited by Doogansquest; 12-23-2013, 03:33 PM.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
      imo, rules that should be changed/done away with

      1. spot foul for PI
      2. defenseless receiver
      3. limited padded practices
      4. add yours....
      just curious why you want that one gone. I think it needs to be there otherwise everytime a guy is beat for a 50 yarder he can just mug the reciever and turn it into 10--- curious as to why you don't want it and what you want in place
      My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Doogansquest View Post
        Yeah, the NFL wants to add two more teams to each side in the playoffs. I suppose they eliminate a bye round and do 4 games per side? Or have an odd number of winners in the Wild Card round?

        Whatever. It's dumb and a waste.
        I believe only the 1 seed would have a buy in that scenario but I agree bad move to water the playoffs down, almost half the teams would get in. Defintitely all about money and def not about player safety. RG is the biggest hypocrit
        My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

        Comment


        • #19
          Tired of this passing league crap; extend the five yard contact zone on receivers to ten. Well, ideally AFTER Peyton retires, anyways.
          disclaimer: if the above post appears to contain outrageously illogical content, ITS PROBABLY SARCASM

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by FL BRONCO View Post
            just curious why you want that one gone. I think it needs to be there otherwise everytime a guy is beat for a 50 yarder he can just mug the reciever and turn it into 10--- curious as to why you don't want it and what you want in place
            it works in college. I think that alternative is better than a 50 yard penalty due to ticky tacky contact. Game on the line and a team wins due to a long pass that ends up in a penalty. Don't like that ability to move the length of the field based on a judgement call by the refs.
            sigpic

            Comment


            • #21
              If the NFL wants to make more money and is TRULY concerned about player safety, then they should just add two more bye weeks.

              This extends the season by two weeks, giving the NFL two more weekends to televise games, and gives players some extra time off to heal.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by broncos1997 View Post
                Tired of this passing league crap; extend the five yard contact zone on receivers to ten. Well, ideally AFTER Peyton retires, anyways.
                Definitely, I miss the days when it was actually an accomplishment to throw for 4000 yards and Ty law was mugging receivers throughout their whole route.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
                  imo, rules that should be changed/done away with

                  1. spot foul for PI
                  2. defenseless receiver
                  3. limited padded practices
                  4. add yours....
                  The penalty I do not like the most is the defenseless player / roughing calls. When I played the times I got hurt the most is when I saw a hit coming. I have been creamed when I didn't know it was coming and bounced right back up.

                  I think this needs to be changed to where they can hit the players as long as it is not to the head.
                  sigpic
                  Samparnell - Adopted Coach & Mentor
                  2016 Adopted Bronco - Derek Wolfe
                  2014 Adopted Bronco - DeMarcus Ware - 2015 Adopted Bronco - Von Miller

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by lvbronx View Post
                    If the NFL wants to make more money and is TRULY concerned about player safety, then they should just add two more bye weeks.

                    This extends the season by two weeks, giving the NFL two more weekends to televise games, and gives players some extra time off to heal.
                    I was going to say something similar. Expand to 18 games but give 3 bye weeks, eliminate preseason, expand roster to 60. Maybe you could add to the playoffs by making the 6 seed a "play in" game similar to MLB. It extends the playoffs only 1 week and gives seeds 1-5 an extra week of rest. Just some thoughts.
                    res ipsa loquitur

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Money hungry league! They don't care about the players.

                      Ridiculous idea and needs to shut it down.
                      Team Broncos!
                      2013 Adopt A Bronco Peyton Manning|#18|QB

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Doogansquest View Post
                        Adding 2 regular season games and 2 more playoff teams per side will mean more games with players resting/no contests. I suppose the media is fine with that because it will allow them to forge a focused narrative on something different each week, but it will bore a lot of fans.
                        Almost sounds like the Colosseum and a fickle and blood-thirsty Roman audience. I actually find myself wondering about this lately, as the game has become so violent and injuries pile up each week at an astonishing rate. I'm not so sure how I feel, but you have to admit there are many similarities with old Rome and the NFL and its way of doing business.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
                          imo, rules that should be changed/done away with

                          1. spot foul for PI
                          2. defenseless receiver
                          3. limited padded practices
                          4. add yours....
                          Another freaking, completely bogus, ridiculous, game changing, utterly absurd, pull your hair out, want to poke your eyes out, can't take it anymore, PI call tonight in the ATL v 49ers game.

                          3rd &19 for 49ers. Falcons got a much needed stop and barely touched the receiver. PI called giving 49ers 3 points. So sick of these calls. Jerry Rice was in the booth with Jon Gruden and Mike Tirico and none of them could believe it. Mike Smith, the coach was pissed, as he should be.

                          This has got to stop. The NFL is ruining the game. Defenders can't do anything anymore.
                          Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post
                            Another freaking, completely bogus, ridiculous, game changing, utterly absurd, pull your hair out, want to poke your eyes out, can't take it anymore, PI call tonight in the ATL v 49ers game.

                            3rd &19 for 49ers. Falcons got a much needed stop and barely touched the receiver. PI called giving 49ers 3 points. So sick of these calls. Jerry Rice was in the booth with Jon Gruden and Mike Tirico and none of them could believe it. Mike Smith, the coach was pissed, as he should be.

                            This has got to stop. The NFL is ruining the game. Defenders can't do anything anymore.
                            They should at least be able to challenge the calls on the field. You are right, that was a horrible call.
                            sigpic
                            Samparnell - Adopted Coach & Mentor
                            2016 Adopted Bronco - Derek Wolfe
                            2014 Adopted Bronco - DeMarcus Ware - 2015 Adopted Bronco - Von Miller

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
                              it works in college. I think that alternative is better than a 50 yard penalty due to ticky tacky contact. Game on the line and a team wins due to a long pass that ends up in a penalty. Don't like that ability to move the length of the field based on a judgement call by the refs.

                              I get where you are coming from but I also don't think a team should loose 50 yards on a 60 yd play because the DB decides it is better to take the 10 yd play then let the reciever catch it if has lost position on him. Maybe coaches should be able to challenge the call
                              My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by one_bad_55 View Post
                                They should at least be able to challenge the calls on the field. You are right, that was a horrible call.
                                It's getting so absurd. QB's should just heave the damn ball then and they would must likely get a PI call for a 30-40 yard gain. It's so sickening.
                                Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X