Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Shanahan expected to be fired

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10...ngton-redskins

The Washington Redskins are expected to fire coach Mike Shanahan, sources confirmed to ESPN.

Shanahan said he will meet with Redskins owner Dan Snyder on Monday morning.

"I get a chance to talk to Dan tomorrow," Shanahan said following Sunday's season-ending loss to the New York Giants. "After I talk to Dan, I'll talk to you guys. We meet tomorrow morning."

The Washington Post reported earlier Sunday that the Redskins had decided to fire Shanahan.

Shanahan coached the Redskins to a 3-13 record this year, his third losing season over a four-year stretch in Washington.

Shanahan's job security became a topic of widespread scrutiny due to his frosty relationship with star quarterback Robert Griffin III, who made a rapid comeback from offseason knee surgery but struggled throughout the season.

The 61-year-old Shanahan is set to make $7 million in 2014, the final year of his contract with the Redskins.

Washington went 10-6 and won the NFC East last season thanks in large part to Griffin, who sparked a seven-game winning streak to conclude the regular season but suffered a devastating knee injury in the Redskins' playoff loss to the Seattle Seahawks.

Shanahan was criticized for playing the banged-up Griffin in the postseason game, particularly after the then-rookie previously injured his knee a month earlier.

A two-time Super Bowl winning coach with the Denver Broncos, Shanahan owns a 24-40 record with the Redskins. He is Washington's seventh head coach, including interim coaches, since Snyder purchased the franchise in 1999.
    Nothing surprising here. But still sad considering what Shanahan once meant to the Broncos franchise.
    sigpic

The fan base actually has a vocal campaign for Snyder to sell the team to an Owner dedicated to reasonableness. If he goes ahead with firing Shanahan then he just set his team back for quite some time and the fans there know it.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rancid View Post
      The fan base actually has a vocal campaign for Snyder to sell the team to an Owner dedicated to reasonableness. If he goes ahead with firing Shanahan then he just set his team back for quite some time and the fans there know it.
      But the relationship is too toxic to be repaired. The Redskins invested too heavily into RGIII to pull the plug on him. Shanahan, on the other hand, has had 3 out of 4 losing seasons there, the ONLY winning season coinciding with the drafting of RGIII and his incredible play in his rookie year.

When it boils down to the coach versus the player, 9 out of 10 times the coach is the one who gets the axe.
      sigpic

Comment

It makes no sense to fire him, they will have to pay him regardless and with snyder being as frivolous with the team's money as he is, they'll never get out of this hole. This was a playoff team with a healthy rg3, they would probably get back next season with shanny, a new coach probably won't be able to.

Comment

They're in a tough spot. The Shannahan - RGIII relationship is really bad and they have a lot tied up in RGIII. But if they fire Shannahan, who are they going to replace him with? They'll be hard pressed to find a better coach than Shannahan.
          ”Those who would give up liberty for security, deserve neither.” Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by KoolBreeze View Post
            They're in a tough spot. The Shannahan - RGIII relationship is really bad and they have a lot tied up in RGIII. But if they fire Shannahan, who are they going to replace him with? They'll be hard pressed to find a better coach than Shannahan.
            Winning cures all, if shanny comes back and they start winning again, their relationship will be healed real fast. If not, it's the last year of Mike's contract.

Getting rid of shanny may be one of the dumbest moves Snyder has ever done. Worse than Adam archuleta

Comment

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
              Winning cures all, if shanny comes back and they start winning again, their relationship will be healed real fast. If not, it's the last year of Mike's contract.

Getting rid of shanny may be one of the dumbest moves Snyder has ever done. Worse than Adam archuleta
              It would be absolutely shocking at this point if Shanahan keeps his job. You can be assured if he does, it's ONLY because of money, and not because anyone within that organization (himself included) feels like he's the right guy for the job.

I agree winning is important. But if we are to believe reports, then Shanahan was ready to quit on the Redskins following their playoff season in 2012. So the atmosphere has to be pretty toxic if he was willing to walk away AFTER they won their division.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rancid View Post
                He set that team back the day they traded everything to the Rams for an unproven QB who's head got to big after he had 1 good season
                Proud Member of: Mile High Manning Fivehead Bandwagon #35

Comment

Meh. Sounds about right. When you walk in demanding to have full control and get it, and then proceed to lose more than you win, you deserve to be fired because the buck stops at you. He needs to just stick to coaching, stop asking for final decision authority, and see what happens.

Comment

Sad, but it was coming. Really wanted him to be successful in his next job, because I don't know how many more he has... but this one just fell apart on him.

Oh well. Hasn't ruined my thoughts or feelings toward him.

Surprised about how it all went down though.
                    Thanks, Reid!
                    sigpic
                    Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Cutler4tw View Post
                      He set that team back the day they traded everything to the Rams for an unproven QB who's head got to big after he had 1 good season
                      agreed.
                      sigpic

Comment

It's done. Mike Shanahan is fired.
                        Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

It's official now. He's been fired.

Comment

Great! Let's hire him as our GM!

Hire Kubiak as our co OC next to Gase
                            Hire Rex Ryan as our new DC (I don't see JDR staying)

SB x2

Comment

Shanny wanted to be fired and i can't say I blame him. Snyder is to meddlesome and RG3 was allowed to go directly to Snyder. I can see Huston hiring Shanny and will be surprised if they don't. Shanny needs to give up the GM role and drop Kyle as his OC. GM is to much responsibility for a HC and Kyle is his son, Coaching is not a good place to have family working for you.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X