Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFL erred on Kansas City Chiefs field-goal attempt

Chargers lined up in an illegal formation on the kick that was wide:

The NFL has admitted an officiating error in Sunday's Kansas City Chiefs-San Diego Chargers game that played a role in determining the league's playoff field.

"With 0:08 remaining in the fourth quarter of Sunday's game between the Kansas City Chiefs and San Diego Chargers, Kansas City faced a fourth-and-12 from the San Diego 23. The Chiefs attempted a 41-yard field that was no good," the league said in a statement.

"On the play, San Diego lined up with seven men on one side of the snapper. This should have been penalized as an illegal formation by the defense.
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...ldgoal-attempt

Yeah I have been hearing about this all morning, I guess too bad for the Steelers, but there isn't anything that can be done now. San Diego's ride will end Sunday in Cincinnati...

Comment

Not only that but the other play where it was a clear fumble on the 4th down and KC recovered but the refs gave a 1st down to SD.

I think it is absolutely unacceptable that refs are determining the outcomes of games. And something more than "we made a mistake" needs to happen. I don't know what that should be but there have been so many games this year where blown calls determined outcomes and none more serious than deciding a teams potential playoff berth. Unacceptable.
      Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post
        Not only that but the other play where it was a clear fumble on the 4th down and KC recovered but the refs gave a 1st down to SD.

I think it is absolutely unacceptable that refs are determining the outcomes of games. And something more than "we made a mistake" needs to happen. I don't know what that should be but there have been so many games this year where blown calls determined outcomes and none more serious than deciding a teams potential playoff berth. Unacceptable.
        I agree with you whole heartedly, the officiating this year has been horrible. No better than the replacement officials really. I hope the NFL addresses this in the off season & it don't cost any team in this year's playoff's.... Unless it's the team that is playing us , no I'm joking....

Comment

I am not sure anyone can look back and say that a particular year was a good season for officiating where they got most of the calls right and did not influence the outcomes of games.

It seems that if they can figure out how to over-analyze a fumble and a catch they can figure out a way to remedy officiating errors.
          sigpic

Comment

Someone blew it in the Cowboys/Eagles game too. Only gave them a 25 second play clock and then charged them with delay of game. They ended up getting a TD by converting 4th and 9 but...could have changed the outcome. This call was worse though since it could have changed the entire playoffs with Pitt in and SD out.
            sigpic

Comment

This should make a great excuse for teams who San Diego may knock off this year, perhaps a pre-determined excuse for a DEN-SD match up lol.

In all seriousness though, while they should have gotten the call right, let's not overreact. For starters, let's not act like Pittsburgh was screwed here. They were a mediocre team, who would probably have gone nowhere and did not deserve a playoff berth. They were 8-8 and only in it because of playing in the AFC where the competition for the 6 seed, Cards missed at 10-6 in the NFC. They just happened to own the tiebreaker among the 8-8 teams.

Secondly, would KC have actually made the FG had SD not lined up that way? If PIT gets in due to a penalty that doesn't even effect the actual play, that just takes the cake on how lucky of a playoff team they'd have been.

I wanted San Diego to get in, because they had more of a chance of actually winning some playoff games so I may be a bit biased, but regardless I'm not crying for Pittsburgh. This is not a good example of a team getting screwed.

Comment

Chalk up another errant officiating incident that directly changed the outcome of another game ... which ended a post season run - etc

Even in the Cowboys game last nite - with that 1st down delay of game penalty (which was a clock error) completely changed the complexion of that final drive........ so lame officials can decide games so simply. That is the single weakness of the greatest game on the planet. Officiating is far from where it needs to be.
                The beatings will continue until morale improves....

Comment

NFL officiating today is closer to NBA officiating than what it used to be.
                  :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
                  sigpic

Comment

It was a pretty blatant mistake that should have been one of the basic things they check on that play. Terrible error, a couple of the anouncers on nfln were saying on the fake punt that SD fumbled and it was not called either. I dont know about that one I haven't seen the review. I hate to see SD make it in period let alone like that. The officials and officiating should be as widely scruitnized and tracked as the players imo and some of these bad calls or lack there of should be challengeable. I hope the Chargers get creamed next week
                    My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

Bad calls happen every game, but with the playoffs on the line for a team, they really have to get it right!! I myself think its a dumb rule and shouldnt even be in the books, but it is. I look at it this way, if I was to make a bad decision at work that caused somebody else to lose their job, you can bet the farm that it would cost me dear. This is their job, if they are unable to preform it, they need replaced. That aint a judgement call like holding or pass interferance or the like, its a basic formation that should be caught every time!!! No gray area, you are lined up right or you aint. Simple as that!

Of course we also could blame Andy Reid here as well. If he would of played our starters, we probably win by 20 and this wouldnt be an issue! (had to throw that in!!!)

Comment

Originally posted by brianfrommissou View Post
                        Bad calls happen every game, but with the playoffs on the line for a team, they really have to get it right!! I myself think its a dumb rule and shouldnt even be in the books, but it is. I look at it this way, if I was to make a bad decision at work that caused somebody else to lose their job, you can bet the farm that it would cost me dear. This is their job, if they are unable to preform it, they need replaced. That aint a judgement call like holding or pass interferance or the like, its a basic formation that should be caught every time!!! No gray area, you are lined up right or you aint. Simple as that!

Of course we also could blame Andy Reid here as well. If he would of played our starters, we probably win by 20 and this wouldnt be an issue! (had to throw that in!!!)
                        I agree they should get it right, but if it's either a stupid rule, or if the play doesn't succeed regardless of the penalty then I don't mind it not being called.

For instance, I never get upset if a pass interference call is missed unless it's a blatant mugging. I don't think teams should get free easy yardage just because of a little touching, or some rule that makes it easier on the receiver than the DB. I also hate to see a team get a big chunk of yardage because of a penalty, when they wouldn't have made the play regardless of whether or not the penalty is committed.

As for the Chiefs, well what do they care? They would have been the 5 seed regardless of whether or not they won, there's a reason they played their back ups. The teams that are probably upset with Reid would be DEN and NE, and of course PIT. Pitts because they may have got in, and DEN and NE because they would much rather see Pit get in. They'd rather see Pitts in the divisional round for an easy win than SD who has a good chance of upsetting them, assuming they get past Cinci.

I should also give props to KC's back ups, playing like that against a very good and hot team who needed the win to get in. You guys have some good back ups.

Comment

Working...
                        X