Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gosselin: Here's my four-step plan to fix the NFL

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Gosselin: Here's my four-step plan to fix the NFL

    Interesting article with the authors thoughts on how he would "fix" the NFL. I actually like his plan

    I’m here to fix the NFL.

    Let’s call this the Gosselin Plan. With the NFL owners at their spring meeting in Orlando, Fla., this week, this is as good a time as any to unveil it.

    It allows the NFL to add two cities without expanding. It reduces the number of meaningless games, adds meaningful games and eases the financial burden on the ticket-buying public. It also increases both the national and international visibility of the league.

    Step 1: Add two teams to the playoffs, one in each conference, and make the opening round of the NFL postseason play-in weekend. Baseball and the NCAA have successfully incorporated play-in games into their postseasons.

    The sixth and seventh seeds in each conference would participate, with the winners advancing to the wild-card round the following weekend. The play-in games in 2013 would have pitted Pittsburgh-San Diego in the AFC and Arizona-New Orleans in the NFC.

    The AFC would stage its play-in game on a Saturday and the NFC on a Sunday, then flip days every year. That creates another weekend of prime programming for the TV networks, which should increase the size of the league’s financial pie. That also would push the Super Bowl back one weekend. What’s another week? The Super Bowl is already staged in February.

    Step 2: Reduce the preseason by two games. Each team would play once at home and once on the road. That’s one less bogus football game each team would force its season ticket-holders to buy. NFL preseason football is the biggest sham in sports.

    Step 3: Add one more regular-season game, creating a 17-game schedule for each team. Again, one more regular-season game and one less preseason game should increase the TV money. Football fans want to watch the sport in December, not August.

    Step 4: The 17th game for each team would be neither a home nor a road contest. It would be a neutral-field affair. Sixteen of the teams would play that game in London, the other 16 in Los Angeles.

    Start by dividing the 32 teams geographically.

    Atlanta, Baltimore, Buffalo, Carolina, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Detroit, Jacksonville, Miami, New England, the New York Giants and Jets, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay and Washington would comprise the East. They would play their neutral-field game in London.

    Arizona, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Green Bay, Houston, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Minnesota, New Orleans, Oakland, St. Louis, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle and Tennessee would comprise the West. They would play their neutral-field game in Los Angeles.

    That would give London and Los Angeles eight games apiece — allowing those cities to sell attractive season-ticket packages with a mixture of AFC and NFC teams for the complete NFL experience.

    That would solve the league’s problem of the nation’s second-largest city not having a team and also give the NFL that foothold in Europe it has been so desperately seeking — without having to expand to either city.

    You could flip brackets each year, with the Eastern teams playing in Los Angeles the following season and the Western teams playing in London. You could also assign conferences — the NFC teams play in London one year and Los Angeles the next.

    Thus, ticket buyers in Los Angeles and London would have the opportunity to see all 32 NFL teams over a two-year period. And the NFL would no longer have to ask its teams to give up a home date in order to play a game in London (or, in the future, Los Angeles).

    Teams playing neutral-field games would be assigned byes the following week. That would create an 18-week calendar for the NFL season, so opening day would be pushed up into the final weekend of August.

    The two weekends the NFL loses each preseason would be replaced by two weekends of premium football — a 17th game in the regular season and the play-in round.

    What’s not to like about this plan? I’ll leave it up to the NFL to work out all the details.
    http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/col...-to-london.ece
    sigpic
    2012 Broncos Country Pick 'Em Challenge Champion

  • #2
    Originally posted by TH3JUICEMAN View Post
    Interesting article with the authors thoughts on how he would "fix" the NFL. I actually like his plan



    http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/col...-to-london.ece
    That's putting a bit too much faith in LA and London being able to sell tickets for multiple games. Does Gosselin really think people in LA are going to care to see (for example) Jacksonville play against Minnesota if that matchup was selected?

    Also, having a 2-week bye period would probably not fly with a lot of people.

    Interesting ideas though, I will give him that.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by SecondsAway131 View Post
      That's putting a bit too much faith in LA and London being able to sell tickets for multiple games. Does Gosselin really think people in LA are going to care to see (for example) Jacksonville play against Minnesota if that matchup was selected?

      Also, having a 2-week bye period would probably not fly with a lot of people.

      Interesting ideas though, I will give him that.
      Some really good ideas. I don't like cutting the pre-season down to 2 games...... forget the money side of it. It is massively important to players on the roster bubble and the HC shaping the best 53 roster for the season ahead.

      London would have no problem selling out 8 games a season. The 3 games this year sold out really quickly. While 8 is a lot you need to remember that not only do we get fans from England, Wales, Scotland but people travel over from Ireland as well as the whole of Europe. Plus a decent number of people fly over from the States for the experience as well.

      Can't comment on LA but presume they would get good attendances.

      Comment


      • #4
        Hate it. Adding two teams and realigning the entire league into East vs West. No thanks.
        The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

        The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

        Comment


        • #5
          Not impressed. I don't care for the idea of adding more regular season games. I don't particularly care for the idea of adding more post-season teams, but whatever. I especially don't like the "play-in" scenario. Bogus.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Charlie Brown View Post
            Hate it. Adding two teams and realigning the entire league into East vs West. No thanks.
            I agree. It takes out some good rivalries, like Dallas vs any of their division foes.
            sigpic

            2014 Pick'Em Challenge Champion
            Proud Fan of the 3 Time Super Bowl Champion Denver Broncos

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by BroncoFanBoy View Post
              I agree. It takes out some good rivalries, like Dallas vs any of their division foes.
              I don't like the east vs. west idea, but while we're on the topic, I wouldn't be opposed to a new realignment. I know, for example, that Dallas has a storied history with its current division foes, but it just doesn't make much sense to have them in the east. I've said for years that Dallas should be in the NFC south, whereas either Tampa Bay or Carolina should be in the NFC east. There are some more, but that's just one example. Just my thoughts.

              Comment


              • #8
                Conner, BFB and Charlie, I think you guys have misunderstood. This plan doesn't change the divisions or add new teams. Everything stays exactly as it is except you take away 2 preseason games and replace them with 1 regular season game (for every team) and an extra playoff weekend.

                This extra regular season game would be staged on a neutral field (either LA or London neither of which would have teams). You keep the rest of your schedule.
                2016 San Diego Chargers GM & New York Giants GM - see bio for trade block/needs

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by uknflfan View Post
                  Conner, BFB and Charlie, I think you guys have misunderstood. This plan doesn't change the divisions or add new teams. Everything stays exactly as it is except you take away 2 preseason games and replace them with 1 regular season game (for every team) and an extra playoff weekend.

                  This extra regular season game would be staged on a neutral field (either LA or London neither of which would have teams). You keep the rest of your schedule.
                  Everything stays as it is?

                  "Atlanta, Baltimore, Buffalo, Carolina, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Detroit, Jacksonville, Miami, New England, the New York Giants and Jets, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay and Washington would comprise the East. They would play their neutral-field game in London.

                  Arizona, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Green Bay, Houston, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Minnesota, New Orleans, Oakland, St. Louis, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle and Tennessee would comprise the West. They would play their neutral-field game in Los Angeles."

                  Since when have: Atlanta, Baltimore, Buffalo, Carolina, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Detroit, Jacksonville, Miami, New England, the New York Giants and Jets, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay and Washington been in the same conference? I have never seen Cleveland in the same conference as Carolina, Atlanta, Philadelphia, Tampa Bay, the Giants, and Washington. No to this realignment.

                  Yea, you are right about not adding two teams. But you are dead wrong on the "everything else stays the same." Instead teams play in London or LA. The East Conference plays in London, the West Conference plays in LA. The Conferences are just fine as AFC and NFC. Absolute NO to West vs East.

                  The NFL needs to change their name to the IFL or abandon these ridiculous plans to expand to Europe. National; not International.
                  Last edited by Charlie Brown; 03-25-2014, 05:39 PM.
                  The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

                  The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Hate it, no nead for the realign, no need for games in London, the players are wore down enough already with the way it is and no need for them to have to travel to London. The league over their failed, if you could get a league to take over their and wanted to play a game at end of season between their best and our best, i'm all for it. But making players from here travel over their for one game in the middle of their schedule imo is dumb and takes away from the game and I'm sure it affects the players involved. I personally don't want to cut the two preseason games. That would only leave 2 games which would mean the teams would be using a lot of the time to get their starters ready and not evaluating guys. The first two games are where a lot of unknowns get their chances and if we cut it down I feel we will lose out on many guys who could compete and make a difference cause they won't get the chance (TD for example). Finally I see no need to add two teams to playoffs that would be almost half the teams in it. You should have to earn a play off birth. That is just watering it down for the sake of money. Nor do I want to see extra game added before the playoffs, to me thats another game for players to get hurt and what is really adding to the sport besides money. No , I'd rather keep it like it is and have as many guys healthy as possible going into the playoffs. Just my :2cents: By the way I'd like to know why he or anyone else thinks it needs fixing. I think its pretty good just the way it is. They are going to keep messing with it and ruin it.
                    My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by FL BRONCO View Post
                      no need for games in London, the players are wore down enough already with the way it is and no need for them to have to travel to London.

                      The league over their failed,

                      and I'm sure it affects the players involved
                      1 - Very poor attitude, and a little bit ignorant

                      2 - You mean NFL Europe ? Yeah because no one wanted to watch PS players

                      3 - The first Wembley game was the Dolphins against the Giants..... the year NY went on to win the SB, so it obviously didn't affect them that much

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by bronx_2003 View Post
                        1 - Very poor attitude, and a little bit ignorant

                        2 - You mean NFL Europe ? Yeah because no one wanted to watch PS players

                        3 - The first Wembley game was the Dolphins against the Giants..... the year NY went on to win the SB, so it obviously didn't affect them that much
                        Thanks for your opinion, I will respectfully disagree. No one said it was gonna affect the team the rest of the year but I fly a lil for a living and if you think the trip and the whole ordeal did not affect those players during that week, I think you are wrong. I'll bet it does and with a 16 game season every game is important and any coach will tell you every player is. I get London likes the game, but is it best for the game and the players and their season or is it about money. My opinion is the latter. You may not like it , but you don't have too. As for watching those PS players, I did and enjoyed it, I wish it had made it. They like a different futball over their and more power too them. As for ignorant, no I am knowledgeable, I just have a different opinion which you don't like. You using that word actually is the definition of it. So you go on with your rhetoric, I am still of the opinion that asking players to fly over their and get ready for a game, then play and fly back in a middle of a 16 game season is asking a lil much and it will effect them at that point in the season. You think it doesn't, okay. I'll respectfully disagree.
                        My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by FL BRONCO View Post
                          Thanks for your opinion, I will respectfully disagree. No one said it was gonna affect the team the rest of the year but I fly a lil for a living and if you think the trip and the whole ordeal did not affect those players during that week, I think you are wrong. I'll bet it does and with a 16 game season every game is important and any coach will tell you every player is. I get London likes the game, but is it best for the game and the players and their season or is it about money. My opinion is the latter. You may not like it , but you don't have too. As for watching those PS players, I did and enjoyed it, I wish it had made it. They like a different futball over their and more power too them. As for ignorant, no I am knowledgeable, I just have a different opinion which you don't like. You using that word actually is the definition of it. So you go on with your rhetoric, I am still of the opinion that asking players to fly over their and get ready for a game, then play and fly back in a middle of a 16 game season is asking a lil much and it will effect them at that point in the season. You think it doesn't, okay. I'll respectfully disagree.
                          There are thousands of fans in Britain and across Europe. These are some of the most dedicated fans in the world.

                          We stay up until 4/5 in the morning for SNF/MNF even when we have to be up for work 2 hours later.

                          We spend thousands flying to the States to catch games (I have been to 3 Denver games)

                          Wembley has 3 games this season....... out of 256 that are being played. If you truly want to deny them this then I guess thats your mindset smh

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by bronx_2003 View Post
                            There are thousands of fans in Britain and across Europe. These are some of the most dedicated fans in the world.

                            We stay up until 4/5 in the morning for SNF/MNF even when we have to be up for work 2 hours later.

                            We spend thousands flying to the States to catch games (I have been to 3 Denver games)

                            Wembley has 3 games this season....... out of 256 that are being played. If you truly want to deny them this then I guess thats your mindset smh
                            I don't want to deny them anything. I wish football was world wide. I understand what you are saying and I have seen on these boards alone some great fans from other countries and I love it and respect it. I would love for football to be worldwide and interact internationally with all the fans.

                            That said its not. I am not trying to take away football from anyone, but if you truly can say that it doesn't effect the teams that have to go over there in the middle of their 16 game season then I'm gonna ask where your transporter is Mr. Spock. It does effect them. Imo it is not what is best for those players or teams or their fans and their SB hopes. If we were in a run to make the playoffs and the SB and had that in the middle of our schedule, I would not be happy about that. I hope the whole world falls in love with football, but in the meantime I want what is best for my Broncos and our SB hopes, and imo that aint it
                            My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Charlie Brown View Post
                              Everything stays as it is?

                              "Atlanta, Baltimore, Buffalo, Carolina, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Detroit, Jacksonville, Miami, New England, the New York Giants and Jets, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay and Washington would comprise the East. They would play their neutral-field game in London.

                              Arizona, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Green Bay, Houston, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Minnesota, New Orleans, Oakland, St. Louis, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle and Tennessee would comprise the West. They would play their neutral-field game in Los Angeles."

                              Since when have: Atlanta, Baltimore, Buffalo, Carolina, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Detroit, Jacksonville, Miami, New England, the New York Giants and Jets, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay and Washington been in the same conference? I have never seen Cleveland in the same conference as Carolina, Atlanta, Philadelphia, Tampa Bay, the Giants, and Washington. No to this realignment.

                              Yea, you are right about not adding two teams. But you are dead wrong on the "everything else stays the same." Instead teams play in London or LA. The East Conference plays in London, the West Conference plays in LA. The Conferences are just fine as AFC and NFC. Absolute NO to West vs East.

                              The NFL needs to change their name to the IFL or abandon these ridiculous plans to expand to Europe. National; not International.
                              That's really not how I read it. To me, its pretty clear in that article that the East/West element only applies to the 1 neutral field game that every team plays. So, that would mean that the 16 "Eastern' teams would play in London and the 16 'Western' teams would play in LA. It doesn't affect the rest of the schedule. Here is an example of what Denver's schedule might look like next season with these changes.

                              Preseason
                              Wk1 vs PHI
                              Wk2 @ DAL

                              Regular Season
                              Wk 1 @ SEA
                              Wk 2 vs SD
                              Wk 3 vs BUF
                              Wk 4 @ KC
                              Wk 5 @ CIN
                              Wk 6 vs OAK
                              Wk 7 @ STL
                              Wk 8 vs HOU in LA
                              Wk 9 Bye
                              Wk 10 vs MIA
                              Wk 11 @ NYJ
                              Wk 12 vs SF
                              Wk 13 vs IND
                              Wk 14 vs KC
                              Wk 15 @ NE
                              Wk 16 vs ARI
                              Wk 17 @ SD
                              Wk 18 @ OAK

                              The order isn't that relevant but what it shows is an 18 week season where our schedule remains except for that one game in LA. I randomly chose Houston as the opposition as they are in the 'Western' pool stated above. So 8 games, involving the 16 'Western' teams would be in LA (of which Den v HOU is one) and the same in London with the 'Eastern' teams. Those 'conferences' are not conferences and only apply for the two neutral field games.

                              Later in the article, he talks about the AFC and NFC so its not like they are being disbanded or anything. He even suggests that they could be the basis for who will play the neutral field sites instead of the whole 'East/West' system. You could just as easily say 'AFC plays in London, NFC plays in LA', and then switch the following year.

                              I hope this has made sense!
                              Last edited by uknflfan; 03-26-2014, 02:31 AM.
                              2016 San Diego Chargers GM & New York Giants GM - see bio for trade block/needs

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X