• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Charlie Brown
    King of the Echo People
    • Oct 2004

NFL Bans Goalpost dunking

The NFL will penalize players for dunking the football over the crossbar in 2014, VP of officiating Dean Blandino said Tuesday. What's the reason behind the new enforcement?

Just in time for Tony Gonzalez's retirement, the NFL is doing away with the future Hall of Famer's patented post-touchdown dunk celebration.

NFL vice president of officiating Dean Blandino told the "Dan Patrick Show" on Tuesday that dunking over the crossbar will be penalized, starting in the 2014 season.

There already was a rule in place against using the football as a prop in celebrations. Penalizing dunks is an enforcement of the existing rule, as opposed to a new rule on the books.

"We grandfathered in some, the Lambeau Leap and things like that. But dunking will come out," Blandino said. "Using the ball as a prop or any object as a prop, whether that's the goal post, the crossbar, that will come out and that will be a foul next season."

It's perhaps no coincidence that Blandino's revelation comes at a time when the NFL's Competition Committee is considering raising the goal posts by 5 feet.

After watching Jimmy Graham rock the crossbar off kilter last season, the league might have decided it would be easier to wreak havoc on raised goal posts, affecting game momentum and player safety.

As for Gonzalez, he's already weighed in.

Tony Gonzalez ✔ @TonyGonzalez88
    The NFL says no more dunking over the goalpost. This one I don't understand. Looks like I got out just in time.
    The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?
  • Conner13
    Special Teams
    • Jan 2013

No Fun League.

According to the rule, using the ball as a prop is prohibited. So how much longer will players be able to spike the ball? After all, spiking the ball is technically an act in which the ball is being used as a prop. I know they allow it right now, but in a few years it'll be banned as well.

In ten years, the NFL will be well on its way to becoming a totally watered down sport, with many of its teams wearing uniforms that look like somebody's arena football nightmare.

Comment

• Charlie Brown
      King of the Echo People
      • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Conner13 View Post
      No Fun League.

According to the rule, using the ball as a prop is prohibited. So how much longer will players be able to spike the ball? After all, spiking the ball is technically an act in which the ball is being used as a prop. I know they allow it right now, but in a few years it'll be banned as well.

In ten years, the NFL will be well on its way to becoming a totally watered down sport, with many of its teams wearing uniforms that look like somebody's arena football nightmare.
      Yep, well on its way. No Fun League with XFL inspired uniforms. Fans are going to throw up their hands and say enough's enough at some point and walk away.
      The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

Comment

• Conner13
        Special Teams
        • Jan 2013

It just seems like the obvious things to do (rule changes, tweaks, etc.) in the NFL are the things that get overlooked, or, at the very least, take years to modify. But by all means, please make contact with the ball-carrier without penalization next to impossible.

Comment

• MegaOrange
          Special Teams
          • Jul 2012

Of all the TD celebrations dunking over the goal post was the lamest. I'm not sure why they banned it, but can't say that I'll miss it. Meh, who cares.
          Anybody know how to get out of Plan A? - Elway

Comment

• roushmartin6
            Football Immortal
            • May 2007

#nofunleague
            sigpic

2013,2014, and 2015 Adopt a Bronco: Champ Bailey, Marvin Austin and Matt Paradis

Comment

• SecondsAway131
              Captain
              • Aug 2010

Overreactions galore. Why does anyone care about this?

Comment

• broncoslover115
                Football Immortal
                • Mar 2012

So glad the NFL is dealing with REALLY major issues that are impacting the game. Come on, this is ridiculous.

Jimmy Graham bent it in one game and now they over react and ban it completely.

It's not that this is such a big deal in and of itself. It's the fact they focus on such stupid things to give players more penalties rather than dealing with issues like the horrible officiating and bad personal foul and pass interference calls that effected outcomes of games. Let's fix that rather than worrying about players dunking the ball over the goal post.
                Last edited by broncoslover115; 03-25-2014, 02:30 PM.
                Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

• SecondsAway131
                  Captain
                  • Aug 2010

Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post
                  So glad the NFL is dealing with REALLY major issues that are impacting the game. Come on, this is ridiculous.

Jimmy Graham bent it in one game and now they have to ban it for everyone. God, they always have to over react to everything. So stupid!
                  That's not really a fair standpoint, IMO. Just because there are larger issues doesn't mean the NFL can't change a few small things that are easier to enforce.

Also, they didn't really change anything. It was already illegal to do this, it just wasn't enforced effectively. After Graham bent the goalpost, they have a reason to enforce the rule. I don't get why fans are so concerned over something that has zero impact on the game itself.

Comment

• JayJack
                    Captain
                    • Mar 2008

Good, about time.
                    sigpic

Comment

• bronx_2003
                      Banned User
                      • Oct 2003

The NFL suits are soooooo pedantic its a joke.

Just let players celebrate. They do in every other sport. Fun is allowed in life

smh

Comment

• broncoslover115
                        Football Immortal
                        • Mar 2012

Originally posted by SecondsAway131 View Post
                        That's not really a fair standpoint, IMO. Just because there are larger issues doesn't mean the NFL can't change a few small things that are easier to enforce.

Also, they didn't really change anything. It was already illegal to do this, it just wasn't enforced effectively. After Graham bent the goalpost, they have a reason to enforce the rule. I don't get why fans are so concerned over something that has zero impact on the game itself.
                        It's not as if players dunking the ball over the goal post had any impact on the game either with the one exception of Jimmy Graham in all the years it was done.

I could care less actually. It just bugs me that they focus on stupid, meaningless things and ignore larger issues that do impact the game.
                        Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

• Denver Mike
                          Banned User
                          • Mar 2009

Just let the guys play football. Yeesh.

Comment

• fallforward3y+
                            Bench Warmer
                            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post

Jimmy Graham bent it in one game and now they over react and ban it completely.

It's not that this is such a big deal in and of itself. It's the fact they focus on such stupid things to give players more penalties rather than dealing with issues like the horrible officiating and bad personal foul and pass interference calls that effected outcomes of games. Let's fix that rather than worrying about players dunking the ball over the goal post.
                            In truth, officiating isn't as bad as many make it out to be. It's just that every bad call gets a lot of media attention, 95% of the calls they make are probably good. PI calls are often pretty ridiculous, but when they are made it's usually the right call unfortunately. I more so wish a lot of those rules didn't exist. Plus, the NFL has discussed some ideas about making those plays challengeable and other things to perhaps help those problems so it's not like they're ignoring it.

Comment

• fallforward3y+
                              Bench Warmer
                              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Conner13 View Post
                              It just seems like the obvious things to do (rule changes, tweaks, etc.) in the NFL are the things that get overlooked, or, at the very least, take years to modify. But by all means, please make contact with the ball-carrier without penalization next to impossible.
                              If this were overreaction Monday, I think both Herm and Tim would say "OVERREACTION!"

For one, what does any of this have to do with rules relating to contacting a ball carrier? Most of which by the way, only pertain to defenseless receivers who are not yet carrying the ball.

Plus, how exactly does this make it a "no fun league" that fans should walk away from. Is it really that spectacular to see them dunk the ball in the goal post? I really don't get the appeal of TD celebrations first of all, they really aren't that entertaining. I do think it's dumb to ban them, and players should be able to celebrate a bit, but if creative celebrations were never done I'd be perfectly fine. Plus, dunking the ball isn't even a creative one.

This rule has no impact on the game, so all this talk of it ruining it is a bit dramatic. Sure, it's dumb but at least this is a dumb rule with no impact on the game itself.

Comment

Working...
                              X