Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eric Decker rooting against Denver

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/stor...denver-broncos
    Some players say they root for their former team. Not New York Jets wide receiver Eric Decker.

Decker said Monday in an interview on ESPN New York 98.7 FM's "The Michael Kay Show" that he has "nothing against" the Denver Broncos, but isn't a fan of the team any longer now that he's a Jet.

"I'm rooting for the other team," Decker said. "You gotta have a little sting, of course."
    Decker, who posted back-to-back 1,000-yard seasons with the Broncos in which he pulled in a combined 172 receptions, was not offered a contract by Denver in the offseason. The 27-year-old free agent ended up signing a five-year, $36.25 million contract ($15 million guaranteed) with the Jets.

The Broncos signed Emmanuel Sanders to replace Decker. Sanders could earn as much as $18 million over the next three seasons if he hits all of his incentives. Denver, which reached the Super Bowl last season, already had several weapons for All-Pro quarterback Peyton Manning -- Demaryius Thomas, Julius Thomas and Wes Welker (suspended) -- and needed to revamp its defense.

The Broncos opened the 2014 campaign with a 31-24 victory over the Indianapolis Colts on Sunday night. Decker watched his old team following his new team's 19-14 Week 1 win earlier in the afternoon.

"I think it was more weird (watching them) in the preseason, just the first couple of games I guess seeing the guys that you played with and you buckled up with the last couple seasons -- four seasons for me -- but now it's not," Decker said. "Not that I have anything against Denver or anything because I had such great teammates and such great respect for everyone in that organization, but you find yourself rooting for the other team.

"It was a good ballgame. Indianapolis came back and challenged them, but Denver looked really efficient offensively."

The Jets face the Broncos in Week 6 on Oct. 12 at MetLife Stadium.
    You wanted the money.... You could've gone to a CONTENDER, you know. Seattle had Sidney Rice retire, lose Golden Tate to Detroit, and Harvin had a lot of injury problems last season. That would've been a good place for you. Instead, you choose the Jets for money.
    sigpic

2014 Pick'Em Challenge Champion
    Proud Fan of the 3 Time Super Bowl Champion Denver Broncos

The nerve of him opening up his mouth.....

This guy was invisible in the Superbowl and yet he has the audacity to open his mouth....smh
    I support Kaepernick 100%

Comment

If you got fired by an employer would you root for them to be successful? Non story here
      sigpic

Comment

You can't blame him for feeling jilted. No offer at all. I wish he had kept his mouth shut, but I understand his thought process. I'm just glad he went somewhere where he couldn't hurt the Broncos, like the Chargers, Chiefs, Patriots, or Peyton Manning's former team.

Comment

I suddenly feel the urge to root against Decker...smh

In reality he wasn't good enough to get an offer so he wants to see us fail because he wants to feel that he is better off with the Jets.

If I was Demaryius I would be pissed. They were really good buddies the last couple years and now Decker is rooting against him? Talk about sour grapes.

Comment

This season will show why he wasn't going to be paid what he wanted..... not by a team that knows what they're doing.

I mean the Jets ... they also took Tebow.

Rex Ryan is about the 'ground and pound' ..... Eric Decker's best attribute isn't his receiving tools .... it's his blocking and his size. Rex Ryan was a victim of the Tebow season. That's when he publicly admired the Broncos run game. In Rex' mind, Decker is the perfect receiver for them. One that blocks, and can catch some balls if the QB can get it to him.

As for Decker being all emo about it just tells me that he's bummed and he knows his season is going to be a downer.
            The beatings will continue until morale improves....

Comment

All I can say is i hope he does well with the Jets. Not a bad first week!

Comment

I'd feel pretty low if my best offer came from the jets too.
                His choice. He did well here and has moved on. So have we.

Comment

Good luck Deck!!! Enjoy the rest of your career not making the playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by Atwnbroncfan View Post
                    If you got fired by an employer would you root for them to be successful? Non story here
                    He's making like 7 million a season. He could've easily took less to stay here. I'm sure we would've kept him if that were the case. We wanted to improve the defense, and we did.
                    sigpic

2014 Pick'Em Challenge Champion
                    Proud Fan of the 3 Time Super Bowl Champion Denver Broncos

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoFanBoy View Post
                      He's making like 7 million a season. He could've easily took less to stay here. I'm sure we would've kept him if that were the case. We wanted to improve the defense, and we did.
                      You don't know if he could have done that he wasn't even offered a contract.
                      sigpic
                      2013 Adopted Bronco - Duke Ihenacho

Comment

sigpic
                        Thanks Blondie for the Sig

Comment

I don't see the problem with what he said. It came off as though he wasn't trying to root against the Broncos, it just became that. I can watch a game between two teams that I don't care about and end up rooting against one team or rooting for one team and then go back to not caring about either one.
                          My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                          You Mad Bro?
                          Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

He'll never admit it but I'm sure there was some extra satisfaction from Manning in beating his former team Sunday Night. He's too filtered to say anything like that. Decker obviously wasn't. Brett Favre was open about wanting to beat the Packers, and while those are slightly different since it's head to head, but I can understand where he's coming from.

I've seen some people suggest that Decker should have taken a pay cut off of his rookie to deal to stay in Denver, and that's just crazy in my opinion. They could have fit him in as it is, but you normally don't go to the dance if you don't get asked.

Personally I'd rather have him over Welker. The money would be close to a wash. Decker, is bigger, younger, healthier.

Oh well, as I said earlier, I'm glad he didn't go to a team that could hurt Denver.

Comment

Originally posted by allthings18 View Post
                              He'll never admit it but I'm sure there was some extra satisfaction from Manning in beating his former team Sunday Night. He's too filtered to say anything like that. Decker obviously wasn't. Brett Favre was open about wanting to beat the Packers, and while those are slightly different since it's head to head, but I can understand where he's coming from.

I've seen some people suggest that Decker should have taken a pay cut off of his rookie to deal to stay in Denver, and that's just crazy in my opinion. They could have fit him in as it is, but you normally don't go to the dance if you don't get asked.

Personally I'd rather have him over Welker. The money would be close to a wash. Decker, is bigger, younger, healthier.

Oh well, as I said earlier, I'm glad he didn't go to a team that could hurt Denver.
                              Nobody wasn't suggesting Decker should take a pay cut,but he was asking for #1 receiver money when he's not the #1 receiver on the team....

How can a dude that disappeared in the Superbowl tell a team he wants #1 receiver money.....Hell,he wasn't even the second option on this team last year and yet he has the audacity to ask that amount..

I have no problem with a player getting their money,especially when these GM's will waive or cut a player under contract,but when you're like the 3rd or 4th option on a team,you should be grateful....
                              I support Kaepernick 100%

Comment

Working...
                              X