Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Vikings RB Adrian Peterson indicted in child injury case

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Goodell certainly has his work cut out for him

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by Bronco51 View Post
      Man, ESPN said he was accused of another incident with another son over the summer.
      http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...ston/15694615/

      Comment


      • #33
        I wonder if Adrian had a babysitter or had his kid in daycare only to find out that his kid had injuries like that, what would he say?. Would he get mad and pull his kid out asap?, would he call police and file a report?, would he file charges against that specific person or place?. Makes me wonder, hmmm.
        HE>i

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by Broncoboy6 View Post
          I wonder if Adrian had a babysitter or had his kid in daycare only to find out that his kid had injuries like that, what would he say?. Would he get mad and pull his kid out asap?, would he call police and file a report?, would he file charges against that specific person or place?. Makes me wonder, hmmm.
          Excellent pondering! Makes you do wonder, huh?

          Well, it looks like some more sponsors might be pulling out. Anheuser Busch hasn't yet but has put the Vikings on notice.
          Last edited by broncoslover115; 09-16-2014, 04:09 PM.
          Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

          Comment


          • #35
            Vikings reverse their decision. Peterson is now on the exempt/commissioner's permission list. I never heard of this list before. At least they finally got it right.
            My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
            You Mad Bro?
            Don’t Be A Mean Girl

            Comment


            • #36
              Peterson should be on the field. The fact that he isn't is disturbing to me. This case is one of polarizing nature.

              This trend of destroying players careers over cases that have yet to be adjudicated is disturbing. The man deserves his day in court, and we should make no serious intrusions upon his life until the facts are sorted out and the law speaks. THEN....and only then should the NFL, their sponsors or the fans make motions against Peterson.



              Texas, the state charging Peterson in this matter, still allows schools to use corporal punishment i.e. They're allowed to beat your kids with a stick, causing injury. Perfectly legal.
              Last edited by ruksak; 09-17-2014, 06:24 AM.
              sigpic
              Rogue Colts Fan

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by ruksak View Post
                Peterson should be on the field. The fact that he isn't is disturbing to me. This case is one of polarizing nature.

                This trend of destroying players careers over cases that have yet to be adjudicated is disturbing. The man deserves his day in court, and we should make no serious intrusions upon his life until the facts are sorted out and the law speaks. THEN....and only then should the NFL, their sponsors or the fans make motions against Peterson.
                Nope, respectfully disagree. He admitted what he did, the grand jury indicted him and the team, sponsors and fans have every right to do what they feel is right. I believe he will be given probation and will be back on the field soon.

                If a cop is accused of a crime, he's removed from duty with pay until things are sorted out. If a teacher is accused of child abuse, they are removed from the classroom until the case is adjudicated. I can go on and on.

                Sponsors do not want their brand associated with someone who is going to shed a negative light on them. They certainly have every right in the world to cut ties with them. And fans certainly get to be disgusted by pictures of a 4-year old with bleeding welts all over his tiny body and can protest seeing the abuser on the field.

                Edit: NFLPA asked Peterson if he wanted to challenge this deactivation and he said no. He accepted this move.
                Last edited by broncoslover115; 09-17-2014, 06:50 AM.
                Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post
                  Nope, respectfully disagree. He admitted what he did, the grand jury indicted him and the team, sponsors and fans have every right to do what they feel is right. I believe he will be given probation and will be back on the field soon.

                  If a cop is accused of a crime, he's removed from duty with pay until things are sorted out. If a teacher is accused of child abuse, they are removed from the classroom until the case is adjudicated. I can go on and on.

                  Sponsors do not want their brand associated with someone who is going to shed a negative light on them. They certainly have every right in the world to cut ties with them. And fans certainly get to be disgusted by pictures of a 4-year old with bleeding welts all over his tiny body and can protest seeing the abuser on the field.
                  I admit that there are certain crimes one can be accused of that most certainly warrant removing said player from operations.

                  I make no judgements, I give no opinions of right or wrong. I simply point out a fact in the interest of full discovery. Texas, the same state that allows schools to hit other people's kids with a stick until it causes welting/bruising/inflamed marks, is prosecuting a man for doing the same to his own child. I made this connection on my own, but I bet you this connection gets brought up in court in a case that hinges entirely upon personal opinion of what is, and is not, allowable discipline.


                  Again, I don't want to discuss our opinions of corporal punishment, in regards of right or wrong. I say all this with the assumption that it's OK to discuss the legality of Peterson's actions in this forum, the way the courts would view this issue. If not, I apologize.
                  Last edited by ruksak; 09-17-2014, 07:07 AM.
                  sigpic
                  Rogue Colts Fan

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by ruksak View Post
                    I admit that there are certain crimes one can be accused of that most certainly warrant removing said player from operations.

                    I make no judgements, I give no opinions of right or wrong. I simply point out a fact in the interest of full discovery. Texas, the same state that allows schools to hit other people's kids with a stick until it causes welting/bruising/inflamed marks, is prosecuting a man for doing the same to his own child. I made this connection on my own, but I bet you this connection gets brought up in court in a case that hinges entirely upon personal opinion of what is, and is not, allowable discipline.

                    Do not disregard this. Peterson's lawyer's certainly won't.

                    Also, corporal punishment in the home is legal in all 50 states. What takes corporal punishment into the realm of child abuse is not in any way made clear by law, not that I can disseminate.

                    Again, I don't want to discuss our opinions of corporal punishment, in regards of right or wrong. I say all this with the assumption that it's OK to discuss the legality of Peterson's actions in this forum, the way the courts would view this issue. If not, I apologize.
                    You make a great point. As a matter of fact, I actually posted Texas State Statutes here in this thread or in another, when this first came out. My point in doing so was, if Texas allows for corporal punishment and outlines the difference in their statutes, then having a grand jury indict him on child abuse demonstrates to me that he clearly crossed the line from corporal punishment to child abuse.
                    Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Glad he is off the field now. It shows how much the NFL needs/wants to keep their sponsors. The NFL likes to point out that their players are Role Models - what Peterson did is in no way, shape, or form what one would expect from a "Role Model". Ruksak, you point out that schools in TX beat kids. Do they leave open wounds as well? Further, do they stuff leaves down their throats? This is what Peterson did and admits to doing.

                      I do not condone what TX does, but even by their laws - Peterson stepped over the line.
                      The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

                      The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by Charlie Brown View Post
                        Ruksak, you point out that schools in TX beat kids. Do they leave open wounds as well?
                        Yes. Research it and you'll want to puke. There are pictures to support my claim. My own behind had clear cutting lines after my principal decided that beating me was an acceptable manner of upping my failing grades.

                        If you try to find out what exactly differentiates in-home corporal punishment from child abuse, you're in for a surprise. Be prepared to attempt to understand the parameters of terms like "Substantial Harm" and "Reasonable Discipline", because that's all the law has to say on the matter.
                        Last edited by ruksak; 09-17-2014, 08:14 AM.
                        sigpic
                        Rogue Colts Fan

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          - What is the NFL’s “exempt list”? -

                          "On Wednesday the Vikings announced that they would change course and put running back Adrian Peterson on the “exempt list” until his child-abuse case is resolved. Peterson will be deactivated but will still get paid, to the tune of about $700,000 a week, according to Andrew Brandt. Shortly after, the Panthers put defensive end Greg Hardy on the commissioner’s exempt list until his domestic violence case is resolved.

                          But what exactly is this “exempt list”? According to NFL Network’s Albert Breer and Ian Rapoport, who received the full explanation from the league’s Player Personnel Policy Manual:" ...

                          http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/...pt-list/29731/

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            -Adrian Peterson fallout: Nike pulling jerseys; All Day Foundation goes offline-

                            "The week from hell for the NFL has turned into weeks from hell. After the NFL’s contentious handling of the Ray Rice incident, which is still ongoing (the union plans to appeal his ban Tuesday), the focus turned to Adrian Peterson, who has been accused of abusing two of his children now. ...

                            Twitter: Nike stores in Twin Cities have pulled all Adrian Peterson merch from shelves.

                            Mylan Inc. said it was no longer working with Peterson to promote its EpiPen, used to treat allergic reactions. The running back had participated in several promotions to raise awareness for anaphylaxis, which he has dealt with in the past.

                            U.S. Bank, which is rumored to be in the running for the naming rights to the team’s new stadium, said it is “monitoring the situation closely.”

                            “Mylan has ended all activities with Adrian Peterson,” spokeswoman Julie Knell said. “We remain committed to supporting those managing potentially life-threatening allergies and will continue our educational efforts to increase anaphylaxis awareness and preparedness.”
                            ______________________________

                            On the Foundation's website: "The Adrian Peterson All Day Foundation website is temporarily offline to allow its charity partners to continue focusing on their outstanding community efforts rather than responding to the numerous media inquiries.

                            The Foundation will continue to support the various philanthropic causes that Adrian and his family care so deeply about."

                            http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/...9654/#sponsors
                            __________________________

                            -Nike stops selling Peterson jerseys; Budweiser sends strong message to NFL-

                            "The Minnesota Vikings might be fine with Adrian Peterson playing football, but not everyone is fine with the Minnesota Vikings — or the NFL — right now.

                            A day after Radisson hotel chain decided to suspend its limited sponsorship with the team following the decision to reactivate Peterson on Monday, an even bigger hammer blow came down from an industry giant (Nike) also refusing to play ball, per the Associated Press.

                            Peterson's NFL gear is still available through the nike.com website, but the fact that you can't go into one of the apparel giant's stores and get the jersey of the franchise's most popular (certainly before child abuse charges were brought against Peterson, and maybe even after) and recognized athlete is rather stunning.

                            We've said all along through the NFL's darkest week — plus a few days now — that the league will really start to realize there's a problem when the dollars grow wings. We're not there yet with all the major sponsors, but when the beer folks start issuing stern statements, such as Budweiser (via CNBC), it's a shot across the league's bow. (Statement at link)

                            It's clear now how far-reaching the NFL's mishandling of its domestic-abuse issue is. When sponsors start walking, or even hedging, it's never a good thing." ...

                            http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...pU.DMAEyhNbK5_

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              I've grown sick of this. When I turn on sports news, I want to hear about sports, not shock media and tabloid scandal.

                              Sports is supposed to be an escape, but look what we're doing to this outlet for our frustrations in life. We've turned it into another sick method of exploiting personal trauma for entertainment. People are entertained by this, and that is quite sick.

                              Can we stop pretending yet, or is it not safe? This recent "epidemic" isn't recent nor an epidemic. I would venture a guess that domestic violence among players was likely much higher in Namath's day. Name me an employer with 1,700 employees and I bet more than 5 or 6 of them gets arrested for domestic violence in a given year.

                              Ban players for life after a conviction, execute them.... whatever they need to do to shut this soap opera down so we can get back to football.

                              All this attacking the NFL, and I've yet to hear anyone point out the FACT that no other employer/industry hands down such severe career consequence for misdemeanor crimes. There isn't one. The NFL is the high water mark for lack of tolerance for domestic violence. Chris Brown beat the hell out of his celebrity girlfriend, and he's on tour right now.

                              This is all an act, and we're all licking this gruel off the floor, as if by command. I'm over it, I'm done. The only thing I'm boycotting is ESPN and the NFLN until they stop pandering to blind viewers by discussing drama over discussing stats.
                              Last edited by ruksak; 09-18-2014, 06:48 AM.
                              sigpic
                              Rogue Colts Fan

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by ruksak View Post
                                I've grown sick of this. When I turn on sports news, I want to hear about sports, not shock media and tabloid scandal.

                                Sports is supposed to be an escape, but look what we're doing to this outlet for our frustrations in life. We've turned it into another sick method of exploiting personal trauma for entertainment. People are entertained by this, and that is quite sick.

                                Can we stop pretending yet, or is it not safe? This recent "epidemic" isn't recent nor an epidemic. I would venture a guess that domestic violence among players was likely much higher in Namath's day. Name me an employer with 1,700 employees and I bet more than 5 or 6 of them gets arrested for domestic violence in a given year.

                                Ban players for life after a conviction, execute them.... whatever they need to do to shut this soap opera down so we can get back to football.

                                All this attacking the NFL, and I've yet to hear anyone point out the FACT that no other employer/industry hands down such severe career consequence for misdemeanor crimes. There isn't one. The NFL is the high water mark for lack of tolerance for domestic violence. Chris Brown beat the hell out of his celebrity girlfriend, and he's on tour right now.

                                This is all an act, and we're all licking this gruel off the floor, as if by command. I'm over it, I'm done. The only thing I'm boycotting is ESPN and the NFLN until they stop pandering to blind viewers by discussing drama over discussing stats.
                                its true. media sells.
                                great points

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X