• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFL's biggest problem

Ray Rice?

Adrian Peterson?

Josh Gordon?

none of the above. No one is going to stop watching football because players act like society in general. The actions of those players is a black eye to the NFL. But it's nowhere near the black eye they got for HOW the NFL dealt with those situations. The game is too great.

The NFL's biggest problem is 'rules and officiating'. Pass Interference is and has already been way out of whack. Now they add the ticky tack illegal contact and defensive holding to it and now you're messing the game up period. How about today's game with Alex Smith getting strip sacked. Refs go back and look at the replay and claim he was passing the ball. REALLY? That was never going to be a pass. His arm happened to be going forward so they call it based on that dumb parameter IN SPITE of the spirit of the rule. Which is to get the call right. I swear 50% of those incomplete pass arm going forward calls by the refs is wrong. If he was legitimately trying to pass the ball fine call it - but if you can't even get it right on SLOW MO REPLAY - just drop that dumb rule. LIke dude said in gameday post. .......... if he was really trying to pass wouldn't that be Intentional Grounding?It feels like whoever is in charge of these rules changes is just fishing at ideas of how to make the game more exciting............

........... STOP.........

You don't need to make the game more exciting. It's already a great game. NFL is ruining it with these ignorant rules changes. If this gets worse - like it was in preseason - the NFL WILL lose fans. My boss is gone already. He doesn't watch anymore - he's given up on it. His argument is that the officiating have TOO much say into who wins and who loses. 22 guys go out there for 60 game minutes to hash it out and one bad blown call can decide the outcome WRONGLY. Can I argue with him - no I can't

You hear it in the announcers voices on the new rules. Collinsworth's attitude toward a new rule tonite was candidly dismissive ..... it's crap. Stop tweaking our game. Get your filthy paws out of it - How dare you? Leave it to the players PLEASE
    The beatings will continue until morale improves....

Casual fans want offense. That's just the way it is and that's what the NFL is going to cater to.
    My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
    You Mad Bro?
    Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

The NFL didn't get as popular as it is from 'casual fans' ..... it was the fanatics

They're going to ruin it.

Comment

Originally posted by dizzolve View Post
        The NFL didn't get as popular as it is from 'casual fans' ..... it was the fanatics

I agree 100% .... if it weren't for the Broncos I would have 0 interest in the NFL at this point in time. They have taken the game and nearly erased everything it used to be.
        sigpic

Comment

I read the title of this thread and I immediately thought of one person: Roger Goodell.

Comment

Highly disagree.

The NFL showing a blind eye to child abuse and spousal abuse is extremely damaging. The rule changes certainly don't help fans and have made games boring. But to claim that making the game boring with all these crazy one-sided rules is worse than them turning a blind eye to criminal behavior by their players?

Josh Gordon isn't allowed to play because of Marijuana. Adrian Peterson can beat a 4 year old child and play. Greg Hardy can beat a woman and threaten to kill her while holding his hands to her throat. Then, finally, there is McDonald who beat his pregnant fiancee. That is a huge black eye for the league that turns my stomach and literally makes me ill. What does a player have to do besides smoke Marijuana to get taken off the field? Right now it looks like taking fertility drugs, smoking marijuana, taking steroids, taking cough medicine, and committing murder are the only things that result in a suspension.

Everything else is fair game.
            The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Brown View Post
              Highly disagree.

The NFL showing a blind eye to child abuse and spousal abuse is extremely damaging. The rule changes certainly don't help fans and have made games boring. But to claim that making the game boring with all these crazy one-sided rules is worse than them turning a blind eye to criminal behavior by their players?...........
              Where did I say it's worse

I said it's the NFL's biggest problem. We have laws for the stuff you're talking about. The NFL has a policy that shows the public they don't condone it. Fine. The players are a microcosm of society in general - do you REALLY expect these kids to be 'better' than the average? That's not fair on the NFL to be honest. Don't confuse the issues. That stuff is so laden with baggage and emotional reaction that people can't even see straight anymore

Mess with the mechanics of the game and you're changing it from what got the game to where it is. I say again - How dare they?

Comment

Where did I say it's worse

I said it's the NFL's biggest problem. We have laws for the stuff you're talking about. The NFL has a policy that shows the public they don't condone it. Fine. The players are a microcosm of society in general - do you REALLY expect these kids to be 'better' than the average? That's not fair on the NFL to be honest. Don't confuse the issues. That stuff is so laden with baggage and emotional reaction that people can't even see straight anymore

Mess with the mechanics of the game and you're changing it from what got the game to where it is. I say again - How dare they?
                No, it's not a microcosm. In society individuals that beat children are ostracized. The same goes for individuals that beat their wives and threaten to kill them. Average people don't do that because they know the punishment for such behavior. This isn't exactly a society where everyone beats their wives, threatens to kill their wives, and beat four year old kids. Sure, some do that, but they are ostracized. They are shunned. The NFL isn't shunning them as society at large would do.

In fact, they are trying to go on as if it is business as usual.
                The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

Comment

No way

If anything the public life of NFL players makes them more -as you say- 'ostracized'

Have your opinion - but THIS post is about New Rules ruining the game. It's the NFL biggest problem

Comment

Even if that were true, it's only going to grow by attracting casual fans.
                    My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                    You Mad Bro?
                    Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Originally posted by broncolee View Post
                      Even if that were true, it's only going to grow by attracting casual fans.
                      However they want to grow it or however it grows, they're in danger of it doing the opposite because these rules are making it harder to watch .. not easier

Comment

If you're watching tonight you just saw how borked the rules can be when it comes to game integrity

there were 2 plays back to back calls in the 4th quarter against the Colts ...... one on the INT (missed holding) and that phantom horsecollar....... led to points.

Yet we have all these games wired to an officiating 'replay room' so all calls come down from Big Brother. Sounds great right? Somehow it can't be used on those plays? Might change the outcome of this tied game

EDIT: Turns out it could have changed the outcome of this game. And with all that replay infrastructure set in place -still failed. That's how close it can come to winning or losing. One or 2 perfectly placed officiating blunders.

Look I know it will never be perfect. But it's not improving. Preseason officiating blew everyone's minds giving us a glimpse at how bad it could get. Now the ridiculous restrictions added to the defensive holding penalty remain.

Wow the fellas are all talking about this subject after the game Ray Lewis Steve Young
                        Last edited by dizzolve; 09-15-2014, 08:40 PM.

Comment

The officiating this year so far has been awful. I have been watching the NFL for 40 years and am growing tired of all the penalties. I was so looking forward to the season starting and have started watching all games I get - Thursday night, Monday night and Sunday. I have already tuned out of 2 games this season because of the officiating. It's ruining the game.

I will always watch the Broncos games and will casually watch the other games, but once hockey season starts I will only be watching the Broncos games.

The NFL and players union is going to destroy a good thing.

Comment

Again another week passes and the officiating is just as bad as it ever was.

They need to stop trying to improve it because it's having the opposite effect.

But they want to 'First and Foremost' -according to Goodell.. protect the players.

What about Welker? What about Manning? They both got cheap shotted

Why bother changing the rules if you CAN'T be consistent.

Anyone think a fine will come down for this hit? Someone said the official claimed it was legal because it was an INT. Dunno how that rule works but - he looked defenseless to me.

Comment

Another blunder in tonight's game

Jets strip sack Cutler runback for TD, but the whistle blows ......... gimmie a break officials

In an instant - the Jets were robbed of 7pt turnover. The game ended up being a one score game at the end Jets lost.

That wasn't the only blunder either. It's just the biggest

Comment

Working...
                              X