Aaron Rodgers For MVP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aaron Rodgers For MVP

After 13 games, I believe Aaron Rodgers is the clear choice for MVP, which would be his second. From a QB perspective, he's not only won 10 games, but has a rating of 119.0, with Tony Romo a distant second, at 108.8, followed by Peyton, at 105.7. QB rate is not a perfect science, but if you look closely at the numbers, Rodgers has been amazing at not only moving the yardsticks, but minimizing turnovers....with an amazing 3 interceptions in 13 games!

Also, Rodgers still can run when it is needed for positive yardage (228 yards) or to get out of trouble to extend plays. And when he extends plays, he is scary good!

All in all, this guy can do it all, and for me, is the best QB in the NFL, based on his ability to do whatever it takes no matter the situation. And he has an incredibly quick release, with zip, and accuracy.

I see players like DeMarco Murray (1,606 yards rushing / 9 TDs) and JJ Watt (14.5 sacks / 3 FFs / 1 pic) in the mix. Without these two players, their respective teams would be significantly less effective. But I do not see them close at this point, and that will only change if Green Bay has a poor finish.....which I do not anticipate.

It will be Rodgers but JJ Watt is the most deserving of this title. A two way player ( now ) that absolutely dominates on D. His team would be in contention for first overall pick without him.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EddieMac View Post
      It will be Rodgers but JJ Watt is the most deserving of this title. A two way player ( now ) that absolutely dominates on D. His team would be in contention for first overall pick without him.
      JJ can play play!!!!

Comment

I'd probably give it to Watt, Rodgers is a good candidate though.

It's hard for me to take the MVP award seriously because of how biased it seems to be. If your not a QB, you have minimal chance of winning, and they seem to put way too much stock into the team's record(IMO it shouldn't matter at all), and if a QB has a great season but their team isn't among the top teams they probably won't be considered(Brees in 2008 IMO should have won it). The only other players that seem to ever get the award other than QBs are RBs lately.

There are a lot of candidates who don't get fair consideration IMO.

The only individual award in the NFL that I take seriously is defensive player of the year. It seems that all positions get fairly considered, and it seems like regardless of how your team does, you get considered if you played well enough. Jason Taylor won it in 2006 for instance, despite being on a 6-10 team I believe.

Comment

Right now, I don't think you can go wrong with D2 Check or Swatt Man!
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by fallforward3y+ View Post
            I'd probably give it to Watt, Rodgers is a good candidate though.

It's hard for me to take the MVP award seriously because of how biased it seems to be. If your not a QB, you have minimal chance of winning, and they seem to put way too much stock into the team's record(IMO it shouldn't matter at all), and if a QB has a great season but their team isn't among the top teams they probably won't be considered(Brees in 2008 IMO should have won it). The only other players that seem to ever get the award other than QBs are RBs lately.

There are a lot of candidates who don't get fair consideration IMO.

The only individual award in the NFL that I take seriously is defensive player of the year. It seems that all positions get fairly considered, and it seems like regardless of how your team does, you get considered if you played well enough. Jason Taylor won it in 2006 for instance, despite being on a 6-10 team I believe.
            Even though I'm a Pack fan and think Rodgers is the best in the league and has been since Favre left. I agree that Watt is more deserving. He's a freak athlete. But like you said it's a really biased award. Offense gets top priority when it comes to the MVP award.

People thought Peyton should have gotten the MVP when he was injured because it was clear the Colts were nothing without him.

I wouldn't be mad if Rodgers won, but I wouldn't be upset if it went to Watt.

NFL has probably the 3rd biased MVP award. NBA and NHL have it beat by a long mile. NBA doesn't like giving it to the same person back to back unless they don't have a choice. But if a player played just a little bit better than the last MVP, he's getting the votes.

NHL just gives it to the popular player who had most goals. Never considers +/-, defense by said players, team play(assist).

Think MLB has the best though. They really do seem to always get it right, even though sometimes people complain.
            sigpic
            Adopted Broncos:
            EmmanuelSanders

Comment

Originally posted by InsaneBlaze23 View Post
              Even though I'm a Pack fan and think Rodgers is the best in the league and has been since Favre left. I agree that Watt is more deserving. He's a freak athlete. But like you said it's a really biased award. Offense gets top priority when it comes to the MVP award.

People thought Peyton should have gotten the MVP when he was injured because it was clear the Colts were nothing without him.

I wouldn't be mad if Rodgers won, but I wouldn't be upset if it went to Watt.

NFL has probably the 3rd biased MVP award. NBA and NHL have it beat by a long mile. NBA doesn't like giving it to the same person back to back unless they don't have a choice. But if a player played just a little bit better than the last MVP, he's getting the votes.

NHL just gives it to the popular player who had most goals. Never considers +/-, defense by said players, team play(assist).

Think MLB has the best though. They really do seem to always get it right, even though sometimes people complain.
              I can't speak to how biased the MVP awards of other pro sports are since I don't follow them much, but the NFL's award IMO is very much biased. They almost always if not always give the award to a very good player even by NFL Standards who had a very good season that year, but it seems they give it to them for what I would say are bad reasons, and don't fairly consider other players.

In 2012 for instance AP had a great season and you could make a good case for him, however you probably could have also made a great case for Calvin Johnson, but he was probably not considered very much for it.

I suppose it is called 'Most Valuable Player', and QBs are probably the most valuable player to most teams, however that's mostly because they have the power to impact the game more than any other position I'd say. I don't think it's fair to punish players for not being able to impact the game as much by themselves because of their position.

Manning winning the award in 2011 would have been ridiculous, if you have an offense that is strongly centered around a player then you'd expect their team to look bad without them. Most teams look worse without their starting QB anyhow, 'next man up' is often done very well with other positions but it seems much tougher to do with QBs.

In truth, I think it's kind of hard to compare different positions. It may be best to have a best of the year award for each position.

Comment

Andrew Luck comes to mind as a good candidate, but Aaron Rodgers or JJ Watt will probably win.
                sigpic

Comment

JJ Watt for MVP all the way!!!
                  Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

Sure gang, awards often have a bias of some sort, or a methodology. But I am not sure how you can go against AARod given he is having an elite year, at the MOST important position in the game. Given that, just play along and list a name or two. It's more fun that way!

But yes, JJ is very much on the map. He does it all!

Comment

yes it's Rodgers. man it doesn't suck to be a packer or colts fan over the recent years, many of their fans were not even born yet the last time they didn't have elite quality QB's at the helm.

is Rodgers better than favre was? i'm starting to think yes. i'm starting to think that Rodgers could become an all time great when it is all said and done, he is a special special player.

as far as JJ watt goes, there is absolutely no way he is the league MVP in my mind. first of all, the texans are not good enough to justify any player on that team should be the league MVP (if they had a MVP caliber QB instead of watt they likely would be good enough).

but more importantly, JJ watt is not as important to the success of that team as Rodgers or even a handful of other QB's. you take watt off that team or if he gets injured and misses time. they can still win.

you take Rodgers off of the packers? they are nothing compared to what they are now and that argument can be made for some other QB's as well. that is why MVP usually goes to a QB or sometimes a dominant RB, that's the way it should be because no other position is as valuable.

maybe they should change the MVP award to player of the year or something, more like how they vote for the heisman, CFB's best player in the country overall.

but i guess that's why they have defensive and offensive player of the year awards so i'm fine with the way it is.

JMO
                      sigpic

Comment

JJ should absolutely get it... didn't they say it's the first time since the 40s a player has scored that many points on BOTH sides of the ball. Truly historic. Something you don't see anymore.

Rodgers is deserving for sure, but JJ should get it no doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by baphamet View Post

but more importantly, JJ watt is not as important to the success of that team as Rodgers or even a handful of other QB's. you take watt off that team or if he gets injured and misses time. they can still win.

you take Rodgers off of the packers? they are nothing compared to what they are now and that argument can be made for some other QB's as well. that is why MVP usually goes to a QB or sometimes a dominant RB, that's the way it should be because no other position is as valuable.

maybe they should change the MVP award to player of the year or something, more like how they vote for the heisman, CFB's best player in the country overall.

but i guess that's why they have defensive and offensive player of the year awards so i'm fine with the way it is.

JMO
                          I agree with you on the MVP thing... but then, I've preached it for years. The ONE player, if removed form that team, makes the biggest impact. That's why I was all for Manning winning it the year he was out, look what happened to the Colts the next year without him.

Anywho..... MPV I don't take seriously.
                          *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
                          *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
                          *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Comment

Originally posted by baphamet View Post
                            yes it's Rodgers. man it doesn't suck to be a packer or colts fan over the recent years, many of their fans were not even born yet the last time they didn't have elite quality QB's at the helm.

is Rodgers better than favre was? i'm starting to think yes. i'm starting to think that Rodgers could become an all time great when it is all said and done, he is a special special player.

as far as JJ watt goes, there is absolutely no way he is the league MVP in my mind. first of all, the texans are not good enough to justify any player on that team should be the league MVP (if they had a MVP caliber QB instead of watt they likely would be good enough).

JMO
                            I absolutely agree with your comments! One, Rodgers is (in my books) the most complete QB in the league. No other player does what he does at the same skill level overall. He can pass with the best of them, run when he has to, buy time, and provide great leadership. And as you have elaborated, valuable does link with how that team would perform without them. That is definitely one of the main reasons that skilled position players tend to win this award.

I am a bit surprised that no one else has mentioned DeMarco Murray as a legit candidate. For what I've seen, without his amazing play, Dallas would be lucky to make the playoffs. Sure, good Oline, but the man is beautiful to watch.

Anyway, it's an open forum, and I do not want to restrain opinion. Keep it coming!

Comment

Oh yes, lets not forget Michael Irvin's choice......the charming, buoyant leader of the Bears! Too bad he has no weapons....

Comment

Working...
                              X