Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Shanahan turn Cutler's career around?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Shanahan turn Cutler's career around?

Read that Mike might be going to interview with the Bears. I think if anyone can turn Cutler's career around it's him. I'd like to see Mike land that job. Would need a top notch D coord though to toughen up the D.
    Superbowl 50 Champs!

I think Shanahan (and Kyle) would be a great tandem for Cutler.

The Bears certainly need to address the defense though- if that defense can improve (drastically) then Cutler improves. He isnt the type of QB you want throwing 35-40 times a game because of the chances he takes, but he can make all the throws you ask of him.

I think its a great fit- the city would embrace Shanny, and Cutler would get someone familiar to work with.

Comment

Cutler is too far gone for that to happen. I think Shanny knows Cutler's limitations and that he is a coach killer.

Comment

With a good run game, Shanahan can help Cutler for sure. Elway, as great as he was, wasn't having to make extremely tough throws or reads in the end. Our running game was so lethal that PA and bootlegs left guys wide open. I think with Cutler's arm he can wreak havoc if used properly. Having him stand in and try to be Peyton is not a good idea. But, he can make the game simpler for Cutler which will help Cutler...can he get his head on straight, who knows.
        Anybody know how to get out of Plan A? - Elway

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco51 View Post
          Cutler is too far gone for that to happen. I think Shanny knows Cutler's limitations and that he is a coach killer.
          Been saying this for a decade.

Not sure how many coaches he has run off, ignored or got fired so far. But has to be in double digits by now.

Jeff George 2.0

Comment

Cutler wasn't the problem for Shanahan. It was Shanahan's lack of commitment to defense that was the problem. Strangely, if Shanahan had been committed to defense, he might not have drafted Cutler in the first place. He should have drafted Haloti Ngata. He could have drafted Marshawn Lynch if he wanted to help the offense.
            My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
            You Mad Bro?
            Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

I can't see Shanny in Chicago. I think his HC career is over. If I'm wrong, good on him. But lets consider his performance in the latter years in Denver and beyond.

The real question if he got hired, how is he going to turn around that D? And from what I can gather, he gave Jay far too much room as a Bronco.

If I was responsible for The Bears, I'd have 2 key priorities to address:
              - Sorting out Jay's contract (to free up much needed cash) / moving on to a new QB if that determination can be concluded quickly
              - Finding a top tier DC, and rebuilding the D from the ground up

Comment

I doubt it, Cutler has been in the league 8 years, and he has had some guys who could coach the QB pretty well. Tressman was supposed to do it, and he even had Mike Martz who coached for the greatest show on turf.

When you've been a certain way for so long, IMO it's hard to change, and Cutler got too used to being what he is. He has a great arm, can be good as a big play QB, and can make great throws and play very well on a given day. However, he also misses opportunities for shorter but effective gains going for the big play too much, and commits a lot of turnovers which end drives, and therefore whatever good throws he made earlier on the drive don't help his teams score points.

I think he is a good example of a QB with many traits that it seems scouts look at, that may not really indicate a QB will be good in the NFL as much as they may be made out to. Tom Brady was one of the worst 'combine QBs' in NFL History I believe, and didn't seem to be the 'sexy pick', but he turned out to be an excellent QB.

Sure, Cutler isn't the Bears only problem, maybe not even their biggest problem, but he does seem to be a problem for them. They have had winning seasons, and been to an NFCC game with Cutler at QB when they had a good defense...but here's the thing.....they would have probably done that with most NFL caliber QBs.

They had one of the best defenses in the NFL, that held teams down and even scored points on defense and created turnovers. They also had a very good special teams. Just because you can win games with a QB when you have a team like that doesn't mean the QB is elite, or even above average by NFL Standards.

Good Jay can be very good, but bad Jay is perhaps bad enough for the Bears to need to look for a new QB, especially considering he seems to struggle heavily against the Packers, their division rival who has won their division for 4 straight seasons and been to the playoffs for 6 straight seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by fallforward3y+ View Post
                  I doubt it, Cutler has been in the league 8 years, and he has had some guys who could coach the QB pretty well. Tressman was supposed to do it, and he even had Mike Martz who coached for the greatest show on turf.

When you've been a certain way for so long, IMO it's hard to change, and Cutler got too used to being what he is. He has a great arm, can be good as a big play QB, and can make great throws and play very well on a given day. However, he also misses opportunities for shorter but effective gains going for the big play too much, and commits a lot of turnovers which end drives, and therefore whatever good throws he made earlier on the drive don't help his teams score points.

I think he is a good example of a QB with many traits that it seems scouts look at, that may not really indicate a QB will be good in the NFL as much as they may be made out to. Tom Brady was one of the worst 'combine QBs' in NFL History I believe, and didn't seem to be the 'sexy pick', but he turned out to be an excellent QB.

Sure, Cutler isn't the Bears only problem, maybe not even their biggest problem, but he does seem to be a problem for them. They have had winning seasons, and been to an NFCC game with Cutler at QB when they had a good defense...but here's the thing.....they would have probably done that with most NFL caliber QBs.

They had one of the best defenses in the NFL, that held teams down and even scored points on defense and created turnovers. They also had a very good special teams. Just because you can win games with a QB when you have a team like that doesn't mean the QB is elite, or even above average by NFL Standards.

Good Jay can be very good, but bad Jay is perhaps bad enough for the Bears to need to look for a new QB, especially considering he seems to struggle heavily against the Packers, their division rival who has won their division for 4 straight seasons and been to the playoffs for 6 straight seasons.
                  Great post.

I'll add that I doubt Brady would have gotten a chance I any other scheme than BBs he Was perfect for it and has flourished.

While he is a good QB there I doubt he would have been much other than a back up in 25 or more of the other teams.

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield View Post
                    Great post.

I'll add that I doubt Brady would have gotten a chance I any other scheme than BBs he Was perfect for it and has flourished.

While he is a good QB there I doubt he would have been much other than a back up in 25 or more of the other teams.
                    Regardless of what system you're in, you still gotta make good decisions, and throw the ball well. Yes, they coached him well, but he'd still be great with any other team.
                    sigpic

2014 Pick'Em Challenge Champion
                    Proud Fan of the 3 Time Super Bowl Champion Denver Broncos

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoFanBoy View Post
                      Regardless of what system you're in, you still gotta make good decisions, and throw the ball well. Yes, they coached him well, but he'd still be great with any other team.
                      I DOUBT he would have seen the field on most teams, him going to the Pats and setting a year behind Drew was good.

once he got on the field he understood the [laybook and it was ideal for him. how many other teams would have done that for him.

Most likely he would have been a third string guy unless the first guys went down.

Comment

Working...
                      X